The best bird nest drink in Malaysia 2021 makes a thoughtful and excellent gift for elders or expecting mothers!
Or you could get bird’s nest for your family and yourself to improve your general health! Even children (over 6 years old) can benefit from drinking bird’s nest regularly to boost their immune system.
Bird nest in Malaysia is not as expensive as in other countries. Where bird’s nest farms are not as common. And if you don’t want to boil your own, you can rely on these top products instead!
What Is Bird Nest?
Bird nest or bird’s nest is a highly valued delicacy from the saliva of swiftlets. It has use in traditional Chinese medicine, to increase energy levels or improve the skin. It is usually taken as a sweet soup. But more recently, bird’s nest has become an additional ingredient to drinks, and even some cosmetics!
Check out the other benefits of bird’s nest!
Where Does It Come From?
Not just any bird’s nest will do! The birds of interest are swiftlets from South East Asia. That naturally choose to dwell in caves! Making their nests high up in the ceiling!
Which makes it difficult (and downright dangerous) to access the nests.
So many manufacturers of bird’s nest products choose to breed the birds in a swiftlet house instead.
11 Best Bird’s Nest Drinks In Malaysia
- Best Premium & Grade – Eu Yan Sang Niah RTD Birds Nest Drink
- Best Value For Money – Kinohimitsu Birds Nest With Snow Lotus And Honey
- Best For Beauty – Kinohimitsu Bird’s Nest With Collagen
- Best Sugar-Free Option – BRAND’S Bird’s Nest Sugar Free or Kinohimitsu Bird’s Nest with Red Dates & Wolfberries
- Best For Beauty & Eyes Health – Kinohimitsu Bird’s Nest with Red Dates & Wolfberries
- Best For Expecting Mothers – Eu Yan Sang Niah RTD Birds Nest Drink
1. Kinohimitsu Bird’s Nest With Collagen
There’s 28% of bird’s nest in the Kinohimitsu Bird’s Nest With Collagen. Two bottles is equivalent to taking a single piece of dry bird’s nest.
Many users find that the taste is pleasant, without being overly sweet. One user remarked that the seaweed gives the drink a better flavor! And you can drink it chilled or warm!
More importantly, users appreciate the additional collagen in the drink although it does taste different if you compare it to the original Kinohimitsu Bird’s Nest drink!
Plus, you can see from the bottle that there are bits of bird’s nest inside!
There are many users who buy this repeatedly. And consume for months without seeing visible results. And there are users who do see changes in their skin and energy level after just a few weeks.
- Size Per Bottle: 75ml
- Main Ingredients: Bird’s Nest (28%), Marine Collagen (0.3g per serving), Seaweed Extract, Rock Sugar Solution
- Price: ~RM91.1 (12 Bottles)
- Price Per Bottle: ~RM7.59
2. It’s Yen Original Bird’s Nest
Sold by Eu Yan Sang, It’s Yen Original Bird’s Nest is one of their best-selling products.
The bird nest drink keeps it simple. The original flavor has 2 main ingredients – bird’s nest and rock sugar.
Because there are no preservatives (or coloring or stabilizers) you have to finish the bottle once it’s opened. Or keep it in the fridge and consume within 12 hours!
You can try the other flavors too. Like snow fungus and American ginseng, pandan and chia seeds, or red dates, and longan!
A few users remarked that the It’s Yen Original Bird’s Nest drink seems to be sweeter that it previously was. And watery with less bird’s nest fragments inside compared to other bird’s nest drinks!
- Size Per Bottle: 170ml
- Main Ingredients: Bird’s Nest, Rock Sugar Solution
- Price: ~RM46.8 (6 Bottles)
- Price Per Bottle: ~RM7.8
3. Royal Birds Nest With Collagen
Also free from artificial coloring, flavoring and preservatives:
Royal Birds Nest With Collagen has one of the higher bird nest prices in Malaysia (In this list anyways). As it contains 15% bird’s nest!
However from the appealing taste, users can tell that there is quite a lot of sugar present in the drink. It has a pretty watery consistency too. With seemingly blended bits of bird’s nest in it.
If you’ve tried this bird nest drink before, you may notice that the amount of bird nest bits is less. Which is probably how they keep the price reasonable.
Not a bad thing if you like a smoother drink! That does not have ingredients like white fungus floating around!
One user said that taking this seems to improve their immune system (i.e. less incidences of getting sick).
- Size Per Bottle: 75ml
- Main Ingredients: Rock Sugar, Bird’s Nest (15%), Collagen (2,000mg)
- Price: ~RM76.8 (12 Bottles)
- Price Per Bottle: ~RM6.4
4. Lennox Precious Concentrated Bird’s Nest
Each bottle of the Lennox Precious Concentrated Bird’s Nest is smaller than the average bird nest drink.
Which gives users the impression that there is a lot of Sarawak Cave Bird’s Nest in each! Although, the smell of the drink puts some users off.
It tastes fine though. And is not very sweet either!
- Size Per Bottle: 28g
- Main Ingredients: Bird’s Nest (70%), Rock Sugar
- Price: ~RM148 (8 Bottles)
- Price Per Bottle: ~RM18.5
5. Sarangyan Collagen Bird’s Nest Drink
To start this bird nest drink review:
The Sarangyan Collagen Bird’s Nest Drink is not that sweet.
And there’s a good amount of bird’s nest (2.5g nest per bottle) inside too! Based on reviews from users that are satisfied with the amount of visible bird’s nest in each bottle!
What’s extra nice is that the bird nest drink is without preservatives or bleaching! Just remember to consume it before the expiry date!
There are 2 other flavors available – honey with wolfberry. Or longan!
- Size Per Bottle: 180ml
- Main Ingredients: Bird’s Nest, rock sugar and water
- Price: ~RM55 (4 Bottles)
- Price Per Bottle: ~RM13.75
6. Eu Yan Sang Niah RTD Birds Nest Drink
Highly recommended for soon-to-be mothers:
The bird’s nest in the Eu Yan Sang Niah RTD Birds Nest Drink comes all the way from Sarawak, East Malaysia!
At RM41 per bottle, this is the priciest bird nest drink in this list!
It contains no preservatives or food stabilizers. Just the bird’s nest and rock sugar solution! Pregnant mothers are not advised to take this until after their first trimester.
- Size Per Bottle: 70ml
- Main Ingredients: Niah Bird’s Nest, Rock Sugar Solution
- Price: ~RM248 (6 Bottles)
- Price Per Bottle: ~RM41.3
7. Kinohimitsu Birds Nest With Snow Lotus And Honey
An alternative to the Kinohimitsu Bird’s Nest With Collagen and highly popular with Malaysians and Singaporeans:
Kinohimitsu Birds Nest With Snow Lotus And Honey also uses 28% bird’s nest. And without adding any preservatives, coloring, bleaching or flavoring agents.
It’s fine to drink this 2-3 times a week. Or every day! Users comment that it tastes really good (of bird nest with some honey) but not too sweet.
And not in an artificial way unlike other bird nest drinks (as one user described). Plus, during sale time, it is really affordable for the bird’s nest content that you get!
In case you’re wondering:
Snow lotus has a lot of health benefits too. Including “warming” the uterus and to relieve aches.
- Size Per Bottle: 75ml
- Main Ingredients: Bird’s Nest (28%), Snow Lotus, Honey, Rock Sugar Solution
- Price: ~RM88.2 (12 Bottles)
- Price Per Bottle: ~RM7.35
8. BRAND’S Bird’s Nest Sugar Free
A no-brainer for those watching their sugar intake closely:
However, BRAND’S Bird’s Nest Sugar Free does use artificial sweeteners (like xylitol) instead. So the drink does taste similar to other bird nest drinks with sugar. Or the less sugar option.
Despite the smooth consistency, it has a considerable amount of bird nest bits – enough to keep buyers coming back anyways!
And for now, this is the one of the only sugar free bird nest drinks in the market!
On another note, if you were hoping for additional ingredients like ginseng or wolf berries, you won’t find them in this drink!
- Size Per Bottle: 70g
- Main Ingredients: Bird’s Nest, Sorbitol, Xylitol, Stabiliser
- Price: ~RM79 (6 Bottles)
- Price Per Bottle: ~RM13.16
9. Kinohimitsu Bird’s Nest With American Ginseng
Reviews for the Kinohimitsu Bird’s Nest Original are generally positive. Even if it does only have 18% of bird’s nest per bottle. For the price, it’s acceptable to most users!
Contrary to the name, it’s not completely bare bones either. Since it includes both ginseng and white fungus! Which you can see inside each bottle too!
Of course, this does make the consistency pretty thick. Thicker than other bird nest drinks in the market! And it’s not easy to tell the bird’s nest apart from the white fungus.
The drink itself tastes nice and is not very sweet. Kids may like it too, from what reviews say. The liquid may look a little yellow but that is not from artificial coloring.
If you want a change from your regular bird nest drink, this does taste quite different from other brands of bird nest!
- Size Per Bottle: 75ml
- Main Ingredients: Bird’s Nest (18%), American Ginseng, White Fungus, Rock Sugar
- Price: ~RM37.5 (6 Bottles)
- Price Per Bottle: ~RM6.25
10. Kinohimitsu Bird’s Nest with Red Dates & Wolfberries
For another option of a sugar free bird nest drink:
Kinohimitsu Bird’s Nest with Red Dates & Wolfberries is really not sweet but still tastes nice. The sweetness comes from the red dates and wolfberries instead!
The flavor of the red dates comes off stronger than the wolfberries. So make a note of that if you don’t like the taste of red dates.
It could be a placebo effect but one user said her skin seemed to be less dry after taking this for a week! And as another user said, it tastes even better when chilled (or warmed)!
Other users find that it raises their energy levels or helps with menstrual pain.
The only thing that users are not sure about is the bird nest content. Which seems little for a 28% claim on the label! Even if the drink consistency is thicker than other brands.
It’s also harder to tell how much birds nest is in each bottle with the seaweed inside! But the taste is of bird nest is definitely there!
- Size Per Bottle: 180ml
- Main Ingredients: Bird’s Nest (28%), Wolfberries, Red Dates, Seaweed
- Price: ~RM46.5 (6 Bottles)
- Price Per Bottle: ~RM7.75
11. NH Bird’s Nest Drink with Aloe Vera & Ginseng
Unlike the BRAND’S Bird’s Nest Sugar Free, the NH Bird’s Nest Drink with Aloe Vera & Ginseng does have extra ingredients!
Where taste is concerned, users find it delicious. And smooth too! The quantity per bottle is more than what other brands provide. To make up for the lack of bird’s nest (2%)!
Maybe you can try this bird nest drink first if you’ve never taken bird nest before! Or if you want to drink bird’s nest but don’t like the taste of it!
- Size Per Bottle: 180ml
- Main Ingredients: Bird’s Nest (2%), Ginseng, Aloe Vera, White Fungus, Rock Sugar
- Price: ~RM39.8 (6 Bottles)
- Price Per Bottle: ~RM6.63
How To Choose Bird’s Nest
Bird’s Nest Grades
Aside from the quantity, the concentration and color can drive the price up for bird nest products in Malaysia!
For instance, red and gold bird’s nest is more expensive than white ones! For their supposed higher mineral content!
Or those certified by official Malaysian third-parties like:
- GMP (Ministry of Health Section of Food Safety & Quality Division)
- HACCP (Hazard Analysis and Critical Control Point)
- VHM (Veterinary Health Mark)
2. Identifying Fake Bird Nest Products
There are ways to identify a fake product (dried bird’s nest) from a real one:
- Genuine bird’s nest is very easy to break apart (it crumbles into powder instead of big chunks)
- The pieces of nest should not look exactly identical. Or very white. Real bird’s nest is actually quite transparent.
- Raw bird’s nest smells a bit fishy. High quality bird’s nest smells a little like egg white.
- If you soak it in water for a couple of hours, it should not change color.
And here is how you can tell between the high and low grades (dried bird’s nest):
- 90% – Thicker strands with minimal processing; More flavorful
- 50% – Second grade
- 10% – Third grade
The last two grades have a crispier texture due to less fiber content.
3. Unnecessary Ingredients (Pre-packed Bird’s Nest Drinks)
Furthermore, bird’s nest products (particularly those in bottles) may have additional flavoring or sugar.
While these are convenient to drink, anyone watching their sugar intake should boil their own soup from scratch!
4. Dosage – How Much Is Enough?
Like taking multivitamins, there is only so much that your body can absorb.
For bird’s nest, anything more than 1.5g to 2g per day is excessive. By the way, this is for dried bird’s nest.
In liquid form, that amounts to 60-80ml of bird’s nest soup. Which is why most bird nest drinks in Malaysia come packaged in 70 or 75ml bottles.
5. Expiry Date
Lastly, don’t forget to take note of the expiry date!
When it comes to which is the best bird nest drink in Malaysia 2021, Kinohimitsu is out for value for money! With high bird nest content per bottle and reasonable pricing.
But you may want to try other products until you find one that you like the taste of. Or you can try making bird nest soup from scratch!