With so many scar removal products available, there’s no reason why you can’t find the best scar removal cream in Malaysia 2022 for your acne scars!
Including the best drugstore acne scar treatments in Malaysia!
So if you want to find out how to get rid of acne scars, we’re about to give you the scoop on which cream is effective for removing scars of different types. And without drying out your skin!
10 Best Scar Removal Creams In Malaysia
- Best Drugstore Acne Scar Treatment – Dermatix Acne + Scar Advance
- Best Gentle Scar Removal Cream – Hiruscar Post Acne Gel
- Best Budget Scar Removal Cream – BREYLEE Acne Scar Removal Gel
- Best Scar Removal Cream For Dry Skin – Rosken Skin Repair High Potency Vit E Cream
- Best Scar Removal Cream For Stretchmarks – Skinlabs Concentrated Vitamin E Cream
- Best Scar Removal Cream For Hyperpigmentation – Cosmoderm Vitamin E Cream 1000 IU with Rosehip Oil
- Best Scar Removal Cream/ Acne Cream – Cosrx Centella Blemish Cream
- Best Scar Removal Cream (Cystic Acne) – Lion Pair Japan Acne Cream Scar Removal
- Best Scar Removal Oil – Bio-Oil Skincare Oil
1. Hiruscar Post Acne Gel
This post acne gel from Singapore has some mixed reviews:
For some, it does minimize blemishes and dark spots from acne scars in 2 or more weeks with regular use. It does also work as a regular acne cream.
If you use it twice a day (morning and evening), acne scars will gradually fade. On combination skin types, this scar removal cream is not drying either!
Although it is notably more effective on scars from recent breakouts rather than older and deeper scars (e.g. from cystic acne). So if you’re hoping that this will help with aged scarring, it most likely won’t!
What we like about it is the minimal ingredient list which has an 86% ingredient safety score on SkinCarisma! The formula is free from sulfates, silicones, parabens, alcohol, etc.
While the presence of allantoin helps to soothe the skin too.
The small tube is very portable and means that you don’t have to commit to a large tube if it’s your first time using it. But for the amount of product you get, it’s quite pricey!
- Size: 10g
- Key Ingredients: MPS (Mucopolysaccharide Polysulphate), Allium Cepa, Pionin, Allantoin (Vitamin B3)
- Price: ~RM34
- Small tube is highly portable
- Doubles as an acne cream
- Effective on lightening recent acne scars
- Suitable for most skin types
- No unnecessary ingredients (e.g. parabens and sulfates)
Doesn’t seem to work on older scars
2. Dermatix Acne + Scar Advance Gel For Acne Scars & Dark Spots
You can pick this up online or at your favorite local drugstore! In fact, the Dermatix Acne + Scar Advance is one of the best drugstore acne scar treatments in Malaysia!
The way it is packaged (thin nozzle applicator) makes the product very easy to apply on specific areas. As for the gel, it is thick, not greasy, and transparent. And without any strange odor.
It can take a couple of weeks or even months before you see results! Thankfully, the small tube should be enough for a whole year.
And there are users who do see improvement with older scars too. For active acne however, this scar removal cream does very little.
- Size: 7g
- Key Ingredients: CPX Silicone technology, ActivGCS (snail slime extract), Zinc Gluconate, Vitamin E, Niacinamide (Vitamin B3)
- Price: ~RM43
- Appears effective on post acne scars
- Pleasant to apply (does not feel greasy or smell bad)
- Convenient narrow-tipped applicator
- Easily available
- Full ingredient list not disclosed on website
- Doesn’t treat active acne
3. Rosken Skin Repair High Potency Vit E Cream
We think that it’s kind of ironic for a scar removal cream to have comedogenic ingredients:
But those with dry skin and post acne scars or stretch marks can look in to the Rosken Skin Repair High Potency Vit E Cream! With shea butter, cocoa seed butter and petrolatum as its base!
In spite of those moisturizing ingredients, the cream does not feel heavy and applies smoothly on the skin! There is no greasy after-feel either!
The price point is reasonable too. With such a long ingredient list though, we would caution that you do a patch test somewhere else besides your face first!
- Size: 100g
- Key Ingredients: Cetearyl Alcohol, Shea Butter, Cocoa Butter, Glycerin, Jojoba Seed Oil, Vitamin E, Petrolatum
- Price: ~RM22
- Free from alcohol, silicones, sulfates
- Nice citrus scent
- Moisturizing even for dry cracked skin
- Not paraben or fragrance free (not for sensitive skin)
- Comedogenic ingredients used (not suitable for oilier skin types)
4. Skinlabs Concentrated Vitamin E Cream
Skinlabs Concentrated Vitamin E Cream is another of the best scar removal creams you can find in Malaysia.
The ingredient list is fairly short too. We just wish they left out the fragrance, coloring, and silicones!
With long term use (~year), it does show results when it comes to scars, particularly with stretch marks. Including much older scars, even decades-old scars!
And it does not feel sticky, which is always a plus! And it is moisturizing enough for dry skin too.
- Size: 30ml/ 100ml/ 200ml
- Key Ingredients: Cetearyl Alcohol, Cetyl Alcohol, Water, Glycerin, Dimethicone, Cyclopentasiloxane, Tocopheryl Acetate (Vitamin E)
- Price: ~RM7 to RM39
- No parabens, sulfates, alcohol
- Smells nice but subtle (like baby lotion)
- Lightweight but moisturizing
- Easy to apply
- Fades even older scars over time
With silicones, fragrance, coloring and phenoxyethanol (preservative)
5. Cosmoderm Vitamin E Cream 1000 IU with Rosehip Oil
Sporting a thick cream consistency, the Cosmoderm Vitamin E Cream 1000 IU with Rosehip Oil is very moisturizing. And is effective at lightening pigmentation due to scarring.
It smells pleasant and does not feel sticky on the skin! It may be a little too thick for those with oily skin though! And can feel oily on the face.
There are also some comedogenic ingredients – something to be aware of if you are prone to millia!
If you want a moisturizer that helps lighten dark scars, you may really enjoy the Cosmoderm Vitamin E Cream 1000 IU with Rosehip Oil!
- Size: 50ml
- Key Ingredients: Glycol Stearate, Rosa Canina Fruit Extract, Cetearyl Alcohol, Stearic Acid, Olive Fruit Oil, Water, Hyaluronic Acid, Tocopherol (Vitamin E), Dimethicone
- Price: ~RM16
- Not sticky
- Absorbs quickly
- Without sulfates or alcohol
- Very hydrating
- Lightens scar pigmentation
- Smells good
- Not paraben-free, silicone-free, fragrance-free
- Has some comedogenic ingredients (e.g., stearic acid)
- Feels oily on the face
6. Cosrx Centella Blemish Cream
If you suffer from frequent breakouts, the Cosrx Centella Blemish Cream can quickly arrest new pimples – drying them up overnight!
And it does soothe larger pimples too. Encouraging them to come to head faster. It does seem to have a positive effect on hyperpigmentation too!
You will not need to use a lot either. As the consistency of the cream is quite thick. Only apply it to inflamed areas. Regular application is the key to success for the Cosrx Centella Blemish Cream!
But because this cream leaves some white cast and does not absorb fast, you may want to save it for nighttime use!
- Size: 30ml
- Key Ingredients: 1,2-Hexanediol, Zinc Oxide, Palm Oil, Palm Kernel Oil, Betaine, Centella Asiatica Extract, Cetearyl Alcohol, Butylene Glycol, Glycerin, Tea Tree Leaf Oil, Sunflower Seed Oil, Dimethicone, Centella Asiatica Leaf Water
- Price: ~RM42
- Reduces redness and inflammation
- Especially effective on tiny pimples
- Only need to use a little each time (or it can be drying)
- Reasonable price point
- Minty refreshing feeling during application
- Lightens hyperpigmentation
- Some UV protection from zinc oxide in the formula
- Some white cast if not absorbed fully
- Takes time to absorb (Thick like physical sunscreen)
- Frequent application required
- Jar packaging is not very hygienic
- Tea tree oil can irritate sensitive skin
7. Lion Pair Japan Acne Cream Scar Removal
Despite the name the Lion Pair Japan Acne Cream Scar Removal works better as a spot treatment for the prevention rather than removal of scars!
Apply it on blemishes twice a day and you should see pimples shrinking and drying up within 2 days! Longer (~2 weeks) for larger and more inflamed pimples (cystic acne)!
Although it is possible for a swollen pimple to size down just overnight after applying this acne cream! It helps blind pimples come to head faster too!
At the very least, it will diminish the redness in your skin in a few hours!
The lightweight cream absorbs well with hardly any smell. And feels cool and soothing on the skin too, without any sticky or greasy residue or white cast!
A thin layer will do so the tube will last for a least a few months!
It’s almost a miracle cream if not for the fact that it does not seem to have any effect on scars! Or on tiny pimples – whiteheads and blackheads included.
- Size: 24g
- Key Ingredients: Disodium EDTA, Stearyl Alcohol, Octyldodecanol, Butylene Glycol
- Price: ~RM28
- Formulated without alcohol, sulfates, silicones
- No sticky feel
- Doesn’t smell strongly of fragrance
- Effective spot treatment
- Dries clear
- Not paraben free or fragrance-free (take extra care if you have sensitive skin!)
- Packaging is not convenient for spot treatment (no narrow applicator)
- Quite drying
8. Bio-Oil Skincare Oil
Bio-Oil Skincare Oil is one of the best acne scar removal products in Malaysia for a reason!
This scar removal product has been around since 1987! Its unique blend of oils has been found to reduce acne scars, discoloration, stretchmarks, etc.
Surprisingly, the Bio-Oil Skincare Oil is not oily on the skin. In reality, it absorbs great. And thus, you can use it on your face for extra hydration too.
A board-certified dermatologist on Byrdie.com agrees that it safe to use on the face too!
As long as you don’t have any problems with its ingredients! As it does contain some ingredients that are known allergens (e.g. linalool). So do a small test patch before trying this out on the rest of your face!
Like other scar removal products though, long term use is necessary.
- Size: 25ml/60ml/125ml/200ml
- Key Ingredients: Lavender Oil, Rosemary Leaf Oil, Anthemis Nobilis Flower Oil, Calendula Officinalis Flower Extract, Soybean Oil, Sunflower Seed Oil, Red Wine, Retinyl Palmitate (Vitamin A), Tocopheryl Acetate, (Vitamin E), Linalool, Citronellol, Limonene
- Price: ~RM19 to RM56
- Smells good
- Suitable for dry or oily skin types
- No residue leftover on skin
- Non comedogenic formula
May irritate sensitive skin (e.g. limonene)
9. Mederma Proactive Gel 20g
Mederma Proactive Gel also takes time (months) to work on scars. However, the fact that it uses preservatives, alcohol, and fragrance makes it very unsuitable for those with sensitive skin.
Who would be better off with other scar removal creams like the Hiruscar Post Acne Gel. In general, alcohol is not a good thing (i.e. drying) to apply daily on any skin type!
So we would recommend that you try other scar removal creams in this list before trying this one out!
The Hiruscar Post Acne Gel also features allium cepa (onion) bulb extract as one of its main ingredients if that is what you’re interested in!
- Size: 20g
- Key Ingredients: Allium Cepa (Onion) Bulb Extract, Xanthan Gum, Water, Alcohol, Allantoin, Aloe Leaf Juice
- Price: ~RM30
- No sulfates or silicones
- With soothing allantoin and aloe vera
- Fades scars
Not silicone, fragrance, or alcohol free (not for dry skin or sensitive skin)
10. BREYLEE Acne Scar Removal Gel
If you don’t like natural herblike smells, you will dislike the smell of the BREYLEE Acne Scar Removal Gel!
Otherwise, it is incredible value for its price. From the ingredient breakdown by incidecoder, it has many ingredients that are great for acne, oily skin, and pimples.
And it doesn’t contain alcohol either! Unlike the Mederma Proactive Gel!
However, it is a little sticky (but cooling) on the skin so you may only want to wear it at night. It is lightweight and does not take too much time to absorb into the skin.
Give it time (months or 1 tube), and you will see acne scars fading – even older acne scars from months ago! It does a pretty great job on blackheads too!
The ridiculous thing is that it only costs RM11! Do note that the cover is not spill-proof or leak-proof.
- Size: 30g
- Key Ingredients: Water, Tea Tree Oil, Salicylic Acid, Glycerin, Ethylhexylglycerin (preservative), Arbutin, Nicotinamide, Centella Asiatica Extract
- Price: ~RM11
- Without alcohol, sulfates, or parabens
- 85% ingredient safety rating on SkinCarisma
- Many soothing natural ingredients – Centella Asiatica extract, tea tree oil and salicylic acid
- Pleasant natural scent
- Lightweight and absorbs well
- Fades post acne and treats active acne
- Not silicone free
- Tea tree oil may irritate sensitive skin
- Feels sticky
- Requires long term use
- Cap doesn’t close well
Types Of Scars
The severity of acne can result in different types of scars.
Mild acne causes reddish/ brown marks that can fade eventually. Even on their own.
But in cases of cystic acne, permanent scarring is possible. Especially if you can’t help but pick at it during the healing process! Instead of leaving it alone.
Some acne scars have their own classification:
- Atrophic scars – depressions in the skin, usually on the cheeks ad jaw
- Keloids / hypertrophic scars – raised areas caused by scarred tissue, more common on darker skin tones
- Hyperpigmentation –Discoloration in the skin which will gradually fade over time
So the scar removal treatment you should get does depend on your acne severity and type of scarring. As well as your skin type.
In general the older the scars are, you can expect results to take considerably longer than with fresh scars.
How To Choose A Product To Remove Acne Scars Effectively
Your skin routine and lifestyle play a huge part too.
But in this article, we’re just going to focus on how to choose a scar removal product!
Since exfoliation can do a lot to lessen the appearance of scars (e.g., smoothing skin texture, lightening discoloration, etc):
There are certain ingredients that can help you determine which cream is best for removing acne scars! The same notion can apply to some other products you will use daily. Such as a toner or face serum.
Main Ingredients To Look For:
- Alpha hydroxy acids (AHAs) like lactic acid and glycolic acid
- Beta hydroxy acid (BHAs) like salicylic acid
- Retinoids – caution with these, they do make your skin more sensitive to sunshine
We have recommendations for the best scar removal cream in Malaysia 2022 for acne scars and more at the top of this post! Some have a dual purpose as a moisturizer or spot treatment.
Be sure to have a look at the list and let us know if we missed out your favorite scar removal cream!
Of course, scar removal creams can only get you so far; if your condition doesn’t improve you should consider going to an acne scar treatment center for professional help.