Dry lips look and feel nasty. You can improve the condition of your lips with the best lip balms in Malaysia 2021. And by drinking enough water, too!
But what if your lips stay dry no matter how often you apply your lip balm?
Hence, it’s good to know what to look for in a hydrating lip balm. Before you buy the best drugstore lip balm in Malaysia!
Before you proceed to the rest of this post:
This local homegrown brand truly has something unique to offer!
Note: This is not a sponsored post, we just think they’re too cool not to share!
What we like about them:
- They use natural ingredients (no artificial fragrance, parabens, alcohol, etc)
- The products are environmentally-friendly (i.e. either refillable or use paper instead of plastic packaging!)
- Their product portfolio includes plain and tinted lip balms. And customizable lipsticks! Which make perfect gifts!
- Run by an all-female team
Check out LipsCarpenter
19 Best Lip Balms Malaysia 2021
- Best Fragrance-Free Lip Balm – Avène Cicalfate Lips Repair Balm
- Best Natural Lip Balm With Tint – Cocoa Friggin’ Fantastic Lip Tint By Handmade Heroes
- Best Minimal Natural Lip Balm – SKINEATS Moisturizing Lip Balm (100% Natural)
- Best Lip Balm For Sun Protection – Sebamed Lip Defense Triple Protection Lip Balm SPF 30
- Best Drugstore Lip Balm – Vaseline Lip Therapy Original Mini
- Best Lip Balm For Lip Repair – Avène Cicalfate Lips Repair Balm
- Best Lip Balm For Sensitive Skin – Avène Cicalfate Lips Repair Balm
- Best Long Lasting Lip Balm – DHC Ultra-Moisturizing & Soothing Lip Balm
- Best Flavored Lip Balm – Burt’s Bees 100% Natural Moisturizing Lip Balm
Like all skin products, you should always make a small swatch on your inner elbow crease with the product.
And wait for a few hours to see if your skin reacts negatively to the product before using it normally!
Natural Handmade Lip Balms
1. Cocoa Friggin’ Fantastic Lip Tint By Handmade Heroes
There are 3 variations of the Cocoa Friggin’ Fantastic Lip Tint By Handmade Heroes:
One colorless and minty. The other 2 include a subtle pink and warm red (almost a dark orange tint) with their own scents. Both colors are extremely wearable for day-to-day use!
By far the best thing about these lip balms is their minimal ingredient list. Wholly natural, including the ingredients for the color tints!
You can pick up this lip balm if you want a natural lip balm with a strong tint!
- Size: 5g
- Ideal For: All skin types
- Benefits: Moisturization
- Main Ingredients: Sweet Almond Oil, Coconut Oil, Cocoa Seed Butter, Candelilla Wax, Rice Bran Wax, Tocopherol (Vitamin E)
- Price: ~RM26
2. SKINEATS Moisturizing Lip Balm (100% Natural)
SKINEATS Moisturizing Lip Balm (100% natural) repairs chapped lips with long-lasting hydration!
Rich in antioxidants and anti-inflammatory ingredients! Plus, it creates a long-lasting barrier to keep your lips protected from nasty environmental pollutants.
However, it does not provide SPF protection. Hence, some users incorporate it into their nighttime care routine to keep their lips moisturized from night till morning light!
There’s something else users can’t stop raving about this product:
And it’s the texture! Which isn’t too greasy, but thick enough to leave a long-lasting hydrating effect.
Another great natural lip balm for daily use or dry lips!
- Size: n/a
- Ideal For: Chapped and dry lips
- Benefits: Moisture and repair
- Main Ingredients: Organic Coconut Oil, Organic Shea Butter, Beeswax, Vitamin E
- Price: ~RM25
3. Burt’s Bees 100% Natural Moisturizing Lip Balm
Aside from the huge selection of flavors (from natural ingredients) to choose from:
Burt’s Bees 100% Natural Moisturizing Lip Balm smells, feels, and tastes nice on the lips!
Reviews differ between flavors:
Many users are delighted with the cool and refreshing sensation left behind by the cucumber mint flavor! But unfortunately, the same flavor has triggered an allergic reaction for a few other users.
Another popular flavor is the mango-scented lip balm, which has garnered the approval of many mango-lovers!
A few point out that the texture of the mango-scented lip balm is tacky and sticky, which isn’t to their liking. And much to their despair, the package design makes the lid hard to open.
However, all the flavors share one thing in common:
They have a soothing moisturizing effect on the lips! Not quite enough for cracked lips. But they are pleasant to use on an everyday basis if you can’t do without a flavored lip balm!
- Size: 4.25g
- Ideal For: All skin types
- Benefits: Daily use
- Main Ingredients (varies between flavors): Sunflower Seed Oil, Coconut Oil, Beeswax, Castor Seed Oil, Natural Flavor, Lanolin
- Price: ~RM20-30
Best Drugstore Lip Balm Malaysia
4. Avene Cold Cream Nourishing Lip Balm
Avene’s Cold Cream Nourishing Lip Balm feels neither greasy nor waxy and can be worn comfortably with a lipstick on top!
If you’ve always struggled with badly cracked lips, then this is worth a shot! Users who experienced very serious cases of chapped lips attest that this product works miracles in restoring their lips.
They adore its versatility as it keeps their lips hydrated under makeup in the day. And at night, a quick application will leave you waking up the next day to baby soft lips!
According to them, the product has a smooth, medium-weight, creamy texture. And the product contains simple ingredients that are suitable for those prone to allergies.
Users only share one complaint:
This lip balm does not provide sun protection.
- Size: 4 g
- Ideal For: Chapped lips
- Benefits: Repairs and prevents dry lips.
- Main Ingredients: Avène Cold Cream Formula, Vitamin E & F, Shea Butter, Avene Thermal Spring Water
- Price: ~RM18.88
5. Vaseline Lip Therapy Original Mini
Containing pure Vaseline® petroleum jelly, the Vaseline Lip Therapy Original Mini comes in an adorable mini container that’s hard to resist!
And you’re almost always guaranteed to see it sitting on the shelf of your favorite drugstore.
This balm is labeled as a healing salve by many! Based on user reviews, this lip therapy soothes and locks moisture in. And contains zero fragrance.
Some even recommend getting the largest size because of its multi-functionality. It works for dry skin on your knuckles, elbows, and heels too!
Even though this product has proven its efficacy for many, a handful don’t see any benefits.
They remark that it does quite the opposite, draining their lips of moisture instead. The packaging style also makes it less hygienic than a balm applied directly to your lips!
Still, unless you don’t like your lips to look glossy, this is a petroleum based and versatile drugstore lip balm that has been around for years!
- Size: 7 g
- Ideal For: Dry lips.
- Benefits: Can heal chapped lips effectively.
- Main Ingredients: Petrolatum, Yellow 5 Lake
- Price: ~RM14.3
6. Mentholatum Lip Pure Lip Balm
Featuring a bunch of natural ingredients, the Mentholatum Lip Pure Lip Balm will give your lips much-needed moisture for hours! Along with a subtle sheen!
Based on user experience, this lip balm is safe. Those prone to allergies experienced no side effects post-use.
While some remark that this has helped soothe their lips to a certain extent, some others don’t see any difference. In fact, many just say that the lip balm’s effect is neither beneficial nor harmful.
But its lightweight non-sticky texture is definitely a plus point as per user reviews!
So if texture and avoiding skin irritation is a priority for you, this is a lip balm for daily use that you can usually find in drugstores in Malaysia!
- Size: 4 g
- Ideal For: Lipstick base, maintaining moisture on lips.
- Benefits: Moisturizing, nourishing, hydrating.
- Main Ingredients: Vitamin E, Shea Butter Oil, Almond Oil, Aloe Extract and Jojoba Plant Oil
- Price: ~RM19.8
7. Uriage Moisturizing Lip Balm
Heal chapped lips within days with the Uriage Moisturizing Lip Balm! You can use it as an overnight treatment for your lips too!
It’s a safe choice (i.e. hypoallergenic) if you want a lip balm to nourish dry lips. Users are highly pleased with how gently it soothes their lips. Without leaving any peculiar scent or taste!
According to them:
It’s great for instant relief. But be prepared to do reapplications throughout the day if you want to maximize its benefits!
- Size: 4 g
- Ideal For: Chapped lips.
- Benefits: Heal chapped lips, overnight lip treatment.
- Main Ingredients: Borage Oil, Shea Butter, Vitamins C and E, Hypoallergenic
- Price: RM26.9
8. Laneige Lip Sleeping Mask – Berry
Sleep with the Laneige Lip Mask Lip Sleeping Mask Lip Balm and wake up to soft, supple lips! Use it as a regular balm too!
This popular product has attained 4.7 out of 5 stars based on almost 2000 reviews!
Many users are obsessed! This sleeping mask leaves their lips well-hydrated, smooth, and smelling delicious in the morning.
Some even utilize it religiously throughout the day, refusing to confine it to only their nighttime routine.
On the other hand, there are a handful of users that are not as pleased. With their lips feel drier post-use. For the price point, they expect better hydrating effects. And some even notice rashes and scabs surfacing after use.
Hence, if you have sensitive skin, you might want to give this one a miss!
- Size: 20 g
- Ideal For: Dry lips.
- Benefits: Overnight lip treatment, moisturizes.
- Main Ingredients: Berry Mix Complex, Vitamins C, Hyaluronic acid, Shea Butter, Synthetic Wax, Candelilla Wax, etc
- Price: ~RM75
9. NIVEA Original Care Lip Balm
Mineral-oil free, NIVEA’s Original Care Lip Balm is formulated with shea butter and panthenol to provide long-lasting moisture to your lips!
Another everyday-use lip balm that many swear by. Users comment that it restores and repairs chapped lips effectively. It’s a gentle formulation with no strong scent or tint to it.
As how a few users put it, ‘You can’t go wrong with this basic lip balm.’
However, critics beg to differ. They note that it merely sits on the lips and does not moisturize. Some say that it has aggravated their dry lip problem. Leaving a burning sensation and sore lip lines!
- Size: 4.8 g
- Ideal For: Daily use to protect or heal lips.
- Benefits: Moisturizing.
- Main Ingredients: Jojoba Oil, Shea Butter
- Price: RM14.1
10. Avène Cicalfate Lips Repair Balm
Avène’s Cicalfate Lips Repair Balm feels amazing on the lips! And works well as a barrier for cold weather!
This lip balm is a great addition to your arsenal if you’re constantly battling those cracked sore lips! Users are astonished at how well this repair balm tackles their chapped lips.
According to them, it has potent healing properties. And even works wonders for eczema-prone skin near the lips.
It’s tough to find any fault with a repair balm like this. Except maybe its taste that a few users can’t tolerate!
- Size: 10 ml
- Ideal For: Protection against dry and cold weather, sensitive skin.
- Benefits: Calms irritated skin, provides moisture.
- Main Ingredients: Castor Seed Oil, Avene Thermal Spring Water, Beeswax
- Price: ~RM49
11. DHC Ultra-Moisturizing & Soothing Lip Balm
Lips will have a hint of shine with the creamy DHC Ultra-Moisturizing & Soothing Lip Balm.
Natural ingredients like beeswax help to preserve its hydrating effect on your lips!
And by preserve, we mean for hours upon hours! According to users, this balm’s effect lasts almost an entire day!
So you won’t have to fret about constant reapplication, especially if you’re using this as a lipstick base.
Many reviews compliment its incredible hydrating effects. Which will get you through Malaysia’s crazy hot weather!
Plus, its non-sticky and non-greasy texture ensures all-day long comfort.
Note: DHC happens to have an excellent cleansing oil too!
- Size: 1.5 ml
- Ideal For: Free radical damage.
- Benefits: Calms, comforts and softens lips.
- Main Ingredients: Vitamin E, Aloe Vera, Beeswax, Olive Oil
- Price: ~RM47
12. Bioderma Atoderm Lip Stick
Bioderma’s Atoderm Lip Stick goes on like a dream!
And like dreams, it doesn’t last long! But it will result in soft moisturized lips!
Users note that it has a pleasant subtle scent. And application is easy and flawless.
Despite that, critics do notice that the effects are short-lived. And a sip of water is enough to wash it all off!
And here’s where reapplication becomes a problem:
Because if you’re thinking about carrying this around for convenient application, think again. Malaysia’s hot weather will melt it right in your pocket!
Therefore, it’s best keep the Bioderma Atoderm Lip Stick in your home or office for the occasional dose of moisture on your lips!
- Size: 4 g
- Ideal For: For damaged & dry lips.
- Benefits: Moisturizing, soothes & protects.
- Main Ingredients: Paraffinum Liquidum/Mineral Oil/Huile Minerale, Shea Butter Oil, Beeswax
- Price: ~RM47
13. Une Olive en Provence Lip Balm
If the price doesn’t scare you, Une Olive en Provence’s Lip Balm is cruelty-free and safe for sensitive skin!
As most of the ingredients are natural!
It might be worth the cost, though. Users adore this product as it provides a matte look. Yet, it keeps their lips feeling supple and soft.
Plus, it doubles up as a primer to sit underneath your favorite lipstick!
- Size: 4 g
- Ideal For: Sensitive skin, daily use.
- Benefits: Repairs, soothes, nourishes and hydrates the most dry and sensitive lips.
- Main Ingredients: Extra Virgin Olive Oil, Castor Seed Oil, Almond Oil, Olive Squalane, Shea Butter Oil
- Price: RM69
Best Lip Balm In Malaysia To Prevent Dark Lips (With SPF)
Did you know that your lip skin has fewer layers than the rest of your face?
Prolonged exposure to the sun can result in darker pigmented lips. So if you want to keep your lips pink, go for a lip balm that has SPF in it!
14. NIVEA Hydro Care Caring Lip Balm With SPF 15
Has the hot weather has left your lips constantly looking like a disaster? You’re not alone.
NIVEA Hydro Care Caring Lip Balm With SPF 15 will ensure your lips stay dewy and safe from damaging UV rays!
And many users who have dry and cracked lips find relief with the NIVEA Hydro Care Caring Lip Balm!
They notice that this balm goes on smoothly without any mess. And it nourishes their lips without being overly greasy. We’re all for that luxurious feel!
However, it appears that some users aren’t satisfied with NIVEA’s recent new formula:
Unfortunately, they think the texture is too waxy and heavy. Plus, the scent is horribly unpleasant to some.
- Size: 4.8 g
- Ideal For: Daily wear, lipstick base.
- Benefits: Hydrating, sun protection.
- Main Ingredients: Aloe Vera, Shea Butter
- Price: RM14.1
15. Eucerin Lip Active Lip Balm With SPF 15
Another product marketed towards those with sensitive and flaky lips:
Touting a perfume-free formula, the Eucerin Lip Active Lip Balm With SPF 15 doesn’t just give you protection from the UV rays! Users are also surprised by its highly moisturizing effects!
It gives a natural-looking shine to the lips.
On the other end of the spectrum, some users aren’t as happy. They comment that this balm doesn’t soothe or hydrate much. And even if it does, its effects are confined to 1 or 2 hours at most.
A few revealed that they need to reapply it approximately ten times per day!
- Size: 4.8 g
- Ideal For: Dry Lips and sensitive skin.
- Benefits: Soothes and protects rough and sensitive lips.
- Main Ingredients: Dexpanthenol and Vitamin E
- Price: RM16.8
16. Palmer’s Cocoa Butter Formula Lip Balm SPF 15
Lasting moisture comes with the Palmer’s Cocoa Butter Formula Lip Balm SPF 15. It bears a similar taste to chocolate too!
And it’s that cocoa scent has captured the hearts of many users! They further remark that the balm has a silky creamy texture that facilitates quick and smooth application.
On the flip side, there are many negative reviews that caution others about this:
The balm can trigger allergic reactions. Including itching, rashes, swollen lips, and a burning sensation.
If you have sensitive skin, you’re better off crossing this out your list!
- Size: 4 g
- Ideal For: Chapped, cracked lips.
- Benefits: Soothes dry, chapped lips.
- Main Ingredients: Mineral Oil, Cocoa Seed Butter, Wax
- Price: RM9.5
17. Sebamed Lip Defense Triple Protection Lip Balm SPF 30
A natural finish lingers when you apply the Sebamed Lip Defense Triple Protection Lip Balm SPF 30.
You don’t usually see such a high sun protection rating on a lip balm either!
Based off many reviews, this odorless and tasteless balm moisturizes without being too waxy. It leaves no color on your lips, just a glossy sheen.
Despite its higher sun protection rating, this product may not be fully effective without consistent reapplication. It’s not long lasting.
Users also notice that the stick is hard, so you may have to swipe it across your lips several times before it will stay on.
- Size: 4.8 g
- Ideal For: Dry and cracked lips.
- Benefits: Soothe and soften irritations, protect from dehydration, protects from the negative effects of the sun
- Main Ingredients: Vitamin E and Bisabolol (Chamomile Extract), Beeswax, Candelilla Oil, Jojoba Oil, Castor Oil
- Price: RM15.9
18. The Body Shop Vitamin E Moisture-Protect Lip Care SPF 15
Besides making your lips softer, The Body Shop’s Vitamin E Moisture-Protect Lip Care SPF 15 is long-lasting without being sticky!
Labeled as a quick remedy for chapped lips! Users appreciate the light and smooth texture of the balm that glides on effortlessly upon application.
The balm further achieves user satisfaction as it provides moisture and protection from weather conditions all day long!
Not all users are fond of the chemical-like taste, though. Moreover, some have contrasting opinions, saying that the balm doesn’t stay on long.
- Size: 4.2 g
- Ideal For: Dry and cracked lips.
- Benefits: Moisturises and protects dry, chapped lips.
- Main Ingredients: Vitamin E, Coconut, Olive Oils, Beeswax
- Price: RM32
Other Lip Balms
19. NUXE Reve de Miel Honey Lip Balm
And we have to mention this incredibly nourishing lip balm by NUXE! It comes in a jar form.
And is thick enough for an overnight lip treatment! Or as a gentle scrub as it does have fine granules too!
Even though it supposedly doubles up as an overnight salve:
Its effects surprisingly don’t last long. Furthermore, some users disapprove of the strong citrus scent. And the thick waxy texture that they claim absorbs minimally into the lips.
There are still numerous positive reviews, though. These compliment the non-oily texture and delightful smell!
Users also marvel at how effectively the product restores and transforms broken chapped lips into baby soft ones!
You can also dab a little onto your lips to form a thin base under your lipstick for that sleek look!
- Size: 15 g
- Ideal For: Night and home use.
- Benefits: Gentle exfoliation, nourishes and moisturizes lips.
- Main Ingredients: Shea Butter, Plant Oils (Chilean Rose, Sweet Almond), Beeswax, Vitamin E, Honey, Sweet Almont Oil, Grapefruit oil, Candelilla Wax, etc
- Price: ~RM55
What Is Lip Balm?
Lip balm or lip salve is made specifically to moisturize dry or chapped lips. And to relieve related conditions like stomatitis, angular cheilitis, or cold sores.
The base is often some sort of wax or petroleum jelly. Common ingredients include beeswax, paraffin, cetyl alcohol, lanolin, etc.
What’s the difference between lip balm and moisturizer?
Unlike the best moisturizers, lip products are made assuming that you might swallow some!
Benefits Of Using Lip Balm
Here are some of the benefits of using a lip balm:
- Helps to heal lips
- Protects your lips from the sun’s rays and cold weather
- Soothes symptoms of dry lips
- As a base for drying lipsticks
Ingredients In A Good Lip Balm
To provide the best lip care for dry lips, lip balms should have some of the following ingredients:
- Lactic acid or sorbita
- Mineral oil (Petroleum jelly or similar)
- Vitamin E
- Jojoba oil
- Olive oil
There’s something else that can act as a moisture barrier (i.e. natural oil like coconut oil or shea butter or beeswax).
Ingredients To Avoid
If you find that your current lip balm is not working for you, it could be that one or more of the ingredients are not suitable for your skin!
Alas, that means fragrances!
And any lip product with a tingling sensation! And some natural oils that are great for the skin and hair have negative effects on the lips!
These are some common irritants that may be found in lip balm:
- Salicylic acid
- Peppermint oil
- Phenol or any sort of alcohol (i.e. ingredients that end with “-ol”)
- Eucalyptus oil
- Limonene – this is one of the reasons why you should not put vitamin C serum on your lips! Your lips are thinner than the rest of your skin. And limonene may irritate them!
- Castor oil
It’s frustrating to have chapped lips! But you can kiss that goodbye (pun intended) with the best lip balms in Malaysia 2021!
Unfortunately, there’s no miracle product that works for everyone!
So you may have to try a few different lip balms before you find your holy grail! And the best ones are usually the boring ones!