BestBuyGet is reader-supported. We may earn commission from the links in this article at no extra cost to you. Learn more.
Make up can cover blemishes but the best vitamin C serums in Malaysia 2021 can resolve what you’re trying to cover up in the first place!
Like blemishes, hyper pigmentation, acne scars, the start of wrinkles, dull skin, etc. But since vitamin C serums can range from RM35-100 for a small 30ml bottle:
Be sure to check out the recommendations below! For the best vitamin c serums you can get from the drugstore too!
How To Choose The Best Vitamin C Serum
1. Vitamin C Form
Vitamin C can come in a host of forms, all with different names:
- L-ascorbic acid
- ascorbyl palmitate
- magnesium ascorbyl phosphate
- tetrahexyldecyl ascorbate
- sodium ascorbyl phosphate
But the one you want (i.e. most effective), is L-ascorbic acid.
It should be among the top 5 ingredients in the list! Cause ingredients are usually sorted in order from most to least!
The minimum concentration for a good vitamin C serum is 8%. Anything between 10 and 20% is better still (*2)!
However, sensitive skin types can opt for 5% concentration. A lower concentration is gentler on the lips too! As the skin on your lips is much thinner than the rest of your face!
PS: There are lip balms that contain vitamin C too.
Vitamin E (tocopherol) should also be in the ingredient list too! Along with glutathione and ferulic acid.
Each with their own unique benefits for optimum vitamin C absorption and function!
Vitamin C is sensitive to the environment (e.g. heat, light and air).
Hence, the best way to package it is in a dark glass bottle topped with a dropper cap. Rather than a pump! Unless the pump features an airless design!
Tubes are fine too. As long as the packaging is airtight!
5. Other Criteria To Look Out For:
- Water-free formula – water makes ascorbic acid unstable (i.e. degrades faster)
- Expiry date (expired vitamin C is dark orange or brown)
- Low pH level around 2.5 to 3.5
13 Best Vitamin C Serum In Malaysia 2021
- Most Effective (20% L-ascorbic acid) – By Wishtrend Pure Vitamin C 21.5% Advanced Serum
- Best For Oily Skin – Timeless 20% Vitamin C + E + Ferulic Acid Serum
- Best For Lightening Hyperpigmentation – Some By Mi Galactomyces Pure Vitamin C Glow Serum
- Best For Reducing Fine Lines – Radha Beauty Vitamin C Serum
- Best Natural (For Sensitive Skin) – Mad Hippie Vitamin C Serum
- Best Budget Vitamin C Serum – Melano CC Vitamin C Brightening Essence
- Best Drugstore Option – Garnier Light Complete Vitamin C Booster Serum
- Most Stable – Melano CC Vitamin C Brightening Essence
1. Mad Hippie Vitamin C Serum
Many Americans swear by their Mad Hippie products. Free from harmful chemicals, the Mad Hippie Vitamin C Serum is gentle on sensitive skin! With soothing ingredients like chamomile and aloe vera!
Elated with results, users have made repeated purchases. They love the smell and consistency. And label it as one of the best skincare products in their regimen!
Most of the comments reveal that they are impressed with the results. As their skin looks brighter, feels smoother, has reduced discoloration, and it reduces the occurrence of breakouts!
Those with sensitive skin have not experienced any irritation or redness, even with long-term use.
Suitable for almost all skin types, this serum is worth a shot for those who want to reduce brown pigmentation on their face! Those who struggle with wrinkles, fine lines, lusterless skin, and uneven skin texture may also see some benefits.
But the effects aren’t quick or immediate. Allow up to a month to see any positive effects!
- Size: 30ml
- Benefits: Enhances skin-brightening and anti-aging
- Key Ingredients: Vitamin C (Sodium Ascorbyl Phosphate), Vitamin E, Ferulic Acid, Hyaluronic Acid, Konjac Root, Chamomile Extract, Clary Sage
- Price: RM115
2. Klairs Freshly Juiced Vitamin Drop
A product of South Korea, the beloved Klairs Freshly Juiced Vitamin Drop may brand itself as hypoallergenic and suitable for sensitive skin. With 5% concentration of vitamin C.
But just be aware that it does contain lavender oil and orange oil – both are known skin irritants for sensitive skin types!
To use it, apply the serum (half the dropper) onto your skin. Before massaging it in with clean hands. For those with oily skin, use this product sparingly as it can be quite greasy.
If you don’t have sensitive skin, and need a product that tackles uneven and dull skin complexion:
Most users are pleased with this product, owing to that fact that it makes their skin brighter and more hydrated! Some even experienced improvement with dark spots and acne scars.
However, there is a risk of allergic reactions and tiny bumps forming after use. And many users have observed a slight tingling or burning sensation upon application.
Plus, the hot weather in Malaysia means you must use this up as quickly as you can! Due to the rapid oxidation process, a few users had to dispose of their unfinished product.
- Size: 35ml
- Benefits: Enhances skin-brightening, protect skin from UV damage, improve skin tone.
- Key Ingredients: Sodium Ascorbyl Phosphate (Vitamin C), Ascorbic Acid (Vitamin C), Sodium Hyaluronate, Grapefruit Fruit Extract, Centella Asiatica Extract
- Price: RM108
3. Garnier Light Complete Vitamin C Booster Serum
Garnier’s Light Complete Vitamin C Booster Serum is best for oily skin types or those prone to acne.
As it has salicylic acid and lemon fruit extract! That does however, mean that it’s not suitable for sensitive skin!
Other than its budget-friendly price, users also like that it refreshes and brightens the skin. And for those with acne scars or dark pigmentation, this serum has improved their overall complexion!
They find that it absorbs quickly into the skin without leaving a heavy or sticky feel behind. But only in the right quantity.
Some notice that using too much can leave your pores clogged and lead to breakouts!
A few others are disappointed with the results. As there are no observable changes even after one bottle! But at least it’s not expensive!
- Size: 30ml
- Benefits: Enhances skin-brightening, reduce dark spots, anti-aging
- Key Ingredients: Niacinamide, Adenosine, Citric Acid, Tocopheryl Acetate (Vitamin E), Sodium Hyaluronate, Salicylic Acid, Lemon Fruit Extract
- Price: RM36.9
4. Timeless 20% Vitamin C + E + Ferulic Acid Serum
For a pretty penny, the clear Timeless 20% Vitamin C + E + Ferulic Acid Serum lightens dark spots in weeks!
Its light feathery consistency allows quick absorption. Plus, it assists in diminishing those pesky dark spots and acne marks!
A suitable candidate for all skin types, including those with acne-prone skin. Try it out if you want to reduce signs of aging and minimize wrinkles and fine lines.
However, it does oxidize fast in Malaysian weather. So keep it in the fridge!
Other than that, users have not noticed any other glaring flaws for this product. It keeps their skin radiant and glowing. And they confirm that it does lighten spots and marks on the face!
They are obsessed with its lightweight non-greasy texture. And those with sensitive skin report no signs of irritation post-use.
But to be safe, always do a patch test first!
- Size: 30ml
- Benefits: Enhances skin-brightening, reduce brown spots, senile freckles and post-acne marks, anti-aging
- Key Ingredients: L-Ascorbic Acid (Vitamin C), Tocopherol (Vitamin E), Ferulic Acid, Sodium Hyaluronate, Panthenol
- Price: RM123.8
5. Melano CC Vitamin C Brightening Essence
Another water-based vitamin C serum:
The Melano CC Vitamin C Brightening Essence is a Japanese product with both ascorbic acid and ascorbyl palmitate to help fade acne scars and reduce the appearance of dark spots!
Perfect for those who want spotless fair skin with a healthy glow! If you have sensitive or acne-prone skin, though, then this may not be the one for you.
Because of its greasier consistency:
Some users who have sensitive skin or struggle with pimples experience breakouts post-use. Other critics were honest in revealing that the serum had not contributed to any lightening or brightening effects.
Yet some users were pleased with the results. And remark that it clears up their skin and gives it a more radiant glow! Some have also noticed improvements in spots and scars after merely 2-3 weeks’ of use!
What makes this product unique is its packaging. The sealed tip at the end of each tube will hinder the oxidation process. And keep the serum effective for longer periods of time!
- Size: 20ml
- Benefits: Enhances skin-brightening, reduce dark spots, freckles and acne scars, moisturizing, anti-aging
- Key Ingredients: Ascorbic Acid (Vitamin C), Tocopheryl Acetate (Vitamin E)
- Price: ~RM56
6. The Ordinary Vitamin C Suspension 23% + HA Spheres 2%
Avoid using this product if you have oily skin as it does have some comedogenic ingredients.
Otherwise, The Ordinary Vitamin C Suspension 23% + HA Spheres all the way from Canada does a great job in lessening scars! And balancing out your skin tone!
For those with sensitive skin, do be careful!
Users report reactions such as redness and bumps post-application! Many also notice a tingling sensation that can be quite uncomfortable. And they recommend ceasing the product if it burns or stings.
Unlike the previous products, some reviewers comment that the texture is rough and grainy. Plus it may not sit well on your skin.
For best use, they recommend using a small amount, preferably at night.
They find that this serum does minimize pores and lighten the skin. While smoothing out uneven skin texture to produce a natural glowing look!
- Size: 30ml
- Benefits: Enhances skin-brightening, anti-aging
- Key Ingredients: Sodium Hyaluronate, Ascorbic Acid (Vitamin C)
- Price: ~RM55
7. Some By Mi Galactomyces Pure Vitamin C Glow Serum
Some By Mi Galactomyces Pure Vitamin C Glow Serum will bring a glow to your skin! Without leaving a sticky or oily feeling!
The brand claims that the galactomyces content moisturizes skin and boosts elasticity!
First and foremost, users are astonished at how well it improves their hyperpigmentation:
They remark that their dark spots are fading. And they observe a brighter and smoother complexion after consistent use of this serum.
Wrinkles and fine lines are also less visible, according to reviews.
A few reviewers have pointed out that it may cause breakouts. And the oxidation process is fast for this product! The manufacturers recommend storing the serum in a refrigerator to slow down oxidation.
Some have claimed that it is a relief that the product does not irritate their sensitive skin. Though patch testing is still recommended beforehand.
Note: This brand has a great face serum for acne-prone skin too!
- Size: 30ml
- Benefits: Enhances skin-brightening, moisturizing, anti-aging
- Key Ingredients: Ascorbic Acid (Vitamin C), Niacinamide, Lavender Oil, Sodium Ascorbyl Phosphate, Adenosine, Sodium Hyaluronate, Allantoin
- Price: ~RM70
8. Ruruberry 5% Ethyl Ascorbic Acid
Ruruberry 5% Ethyl Ascorbic Acid introduces another new derivative of vitamin C, ethyl ascorbic acid or EAC:
This form of vitamin C is more stable when exposed to air. And yes the pH level is higher (ph 4.6±) than other vitamin C serums. But more compatible with the skin’s natural pH.
We like that the formula consists of hydrating ingredients (sodium hyaluronate, glycerin and squalene) and many naturally soothing ingredients (e.g., aloe, witch hazel water, etc) as well!
Users appreciate the non-greasy consistency of this product. And note that it absorbs easily and leaves no residue or sticky feel.
They do see improvements in terms of adding clarity to skin complexion and fading dark spots.
However, many are not big fans of the packaging. Because of its slightly thicker and creamier texture, the serum gets trapped in the dropper. Which makes application a little frustrating.
- Size: 30ml
- Benefits: Brighten a dull complexion
- Key Ingredients: Vitamin C, Vitamin E, Ferulic acid, Baikal Skullcap, Tiger Grass, Green Tea, Licorice, Sage, Chamomile, Aloe Vera, Japanese Knotweed, Matricaria and Rosemary
- Price: ~RM50-60
9. By Wishtrend Pure Vitamin C 21.5% Advanced Serum
There’s 20% concentration of ascorbic acid in the By Wishtrend Pure Vitamin C 21.5% Advanced Serum.
All-in-one, the brand claims that this product whitens, moisturizes, repairs, and evens skin!
And after a few months of using it, many have seen an improvement in acne scars and other blemishes! Many are satisfied with the changes in their complexion – more radiant and smoother!
Even then, this serum has garnered mixed reviews. Firstly, users dislike the strong ‘orangey’ smell, which they described as weird. And the oxidation process is so fast that it shocked many reviewers.
Other than that, because of its high vitamin C concentration:
It may sting or burn the skin a little upon application.
So those with sensitive skin should be extra cautious. Especially so if they incorporate this in their daytime regime.
In fact, the brand recommends using sunblock with SPF of at least 30 when using this product in the day.
- Size: 30ml
- Benefits: Enhances skin-brightening, moisturizing, remove dead skin
- Key Ingredients: Ascorbic Acid (Vitamin C), Panthenol, Sodium Hyaluronate, Hippophae Rhamnoides Water, Allantoin
- Price: RM99.9
10. ArtNaturals Anti-Aging Vitamin C Serum
ArtNaturals Anti-Aging Vitamin C Serum absorbs well. And has ingredients like witch hazel, aloe leaf juice and chamomile to calm irritated skin.
Many users with sensitive skin are amazed. This product moisturizers the skin and fades sunspots without being irritating!
It enhances the glow of your skin and can even reduce redness for acne-prone skin! Reviewers also note that it aids in boosting skin elasticity. And gives them a youthful complexion!
However, it may sting a little when you use it. And may cause your skin to breakout, according to some negative reviews. There are users who experience dry flaky skin after using this too.
Furthermore, the overly watery consistency may make application tough.
For those with dull aging skin, you may still want to give this product at shot! With patience, skin will eventually look more even and radiant!
- Size: 30ml
- Benefits: Enhances skin-brightening, reduce wrinkles, sun spots & anti-aging
- Key Ingredients: Sodium Ascorbyl Phosphate (Vitamin C), Ferulic Acid, Sodium Hyaluronate Acid, Vitamin E, Centella Asiatica (Gotu Kola), Jojoba Oil, Dandelion & Wild Geranium Extract, Hyaluronic Acid, Aloe Leaf Juice, Chamomile Flower Extract
- Price: RM98
11. InstaNatural Vitamin C Serum
The lightweight InstaNatural Vitamin C Serum improves on hyperpigmentation, fine lines, and wrinkles.
Reducing redness and bringing radiance to your skin as well!
Besides that, it also contains ingredients that repair and strengthen your skin’s protective barrier. This protects your skin against outdoor pollutants and aggressors!
Based on reviews, younger and fairer looking skin may be noticed after just a few weeks. The light texture and amazing smell are also plus points to users!
Improvements with acne marks or dark pigments usually take longer. But many do eventually experience them.
On the other hand, this serum may be too harsh for some. Dissatisfied users advice others to be cautious of some side effects:
Like stinging, burning, redness, red bumps, and thinning of the skin. It may even lead to severe outbreaks for oily skin types.
- Size: 30ml
- Benefits: Brighten the skin, lighten dark spots, reduce wrinkles & lines, anti-aging
- Key Ingredients: Sodium Ascorbyl Phosphate (Vitamin C), Licorice Root Extract, Ferulic Acid, Hyaluronic Acid, Tocopheryl Acetate (Vitamin E), Centella Asiatica (Gotu Kola), Sea Buckthorn Oil, Witch Hazel Water
- Price: RM98.8
12. Timeless Hyaluronic Acid Vitamin C Serum
You can safely add the Timeless Hyaluronic Acid Vitamin C Serum to your vitamin C skin care!
Especially for drier skin types! Where the hyaluronic acid and glycerin will help!
Positive reviews note that the skin feels silky smooth, rejuvenated, and hydrated after use. Other than that, it does not leave a sticky residue and is soaked up quickly by the skin!
Post-acne scars and wrinkles have become less obvious. And some users also find that their skin looks smoother with a more uniformed color.
Of course, those with easily irritated skin experience slight burning when using the serum. And unfortunately, some experience breakouts while others don’t detect any improvements at all.
- Size: 30ml
- Benefits: Brightens, clarifies and protects, moisturises skin, defend against aging
- Key Ingredients: Vitamin C (Magnesium Ascorbyl Phosphate), Sodium Hyaluronate, Hyaluronic Acid, Aloe Barbadensis, Glycerin
- Price: RM105
13. Radha Beauty Vitamin C Serum
Suffer from breakouts? Radha Beauty Vitamin C Serum will reduce the severity of blemishes and hyper pigmentation for a more even skin tone!
Plus, you’ll gain a healthy glow to your skin!
Based on over 6000 reviews in Amazon, this product scored 4.3 out of 5 stars! And is an all-time favorite to many.
According to positive reviews, this product can produce startling results:
From clearing and lightly exfoliating dead skin, to diminishing wrinkles and crow’s feet! Users are satisfied with their smoother, clearer, and younger-looking skin.
Plus, only a small amount is required to cover the face. And produce results (that happen over time).
There’s no guarantee for success though, as a few have learnt the hard way.
Besides that, some don’t like the smell, notice drier skin, and experience reactions like itching and red patches post-use.
- Size: 60ml
- Benefits: Brighten the skin, reduce wrinkles & lines, boosts collagen
- Key Ingredients: Sodium Ascorbyl Phosphate (Vitamin C), Hyaluronic Acid, Witch Hazel Water, Green Tea Leaf Extract, Aloe Vera Leaf Extract, Sodium Hyaluronate, Bitter Melon Fruit Extract, Holy Basil Herb Extract, Turmeric Root Extract, Ashwagandha Herb Extract, Ginger Root Extract
- Price: RM109
What’s A Vitamin C Serum?
As the very term suggests, this is a serum containing vitamin C that you can apply on your skin. As part of your daily beauty routine.
Vitamin C (ascorbic acid) is not just for boosting your immune system (like probiotics) or for healthy gums and teeth!
This vitamin is vital for skin growth and repair. It helps with collagen production too.
What Are The Benefits Of Using Vitamin C Serum?
Other anti-aging benefits of Vitamin C:
- All skin types can use it
- Brightens and evens out your skin tone
- Lightens hyper pigmentation
- Fades under-eye circles
- Acts as an anti-oxidant against sun damage (*1)
- Retains moisture in your skin
With so many potential benefits, you’ll be tempted to include a vitamin C serum as part of your skincare routine in Malaysia!
How To Test Your Skin Sensitivity To A New Vitamin C Serum
Do the patch test:
- Dab a small amount into the crook of your arm
- Leave it there for 24 hours
- Stop using the product if you start seeing redness, a rash or hives on your skin
When & How To Use A Vitamin C Serum
Because UV light makes vitamin C less effective!
Thus, it’s advisable to use your vitamin C serum at night instead of the day.
Be sure to avoid using products containing benzoyl peroxide or niacinamide together with your vitamin C serum! As these particular chemicals actually make vitamin C less potent.
There’s no problem with using your serum twice a day. But for higher concentrations, this is actually pointless! As the skin can only absorb so much!
If your skin can take it, the best vitamin C serum in Malaysia 2021 should include L-ascorbic acid, vitamin E and ferulic acid!
Vitamin C expires fast so prolong the life of your vitamin C serum by keeping it in the fridge!