Make up can cover blemishes but the best vitamin C serums in Malaysia 2020 can resolve what you’re trying to cover up in the first place!
All it takes is a few drops once a day to lighten blemishes, hyper pigmentation, acne scars, the start of wrinkles, dull skin, etc.
There’s no escaping the price though! Vitamin C serums can range from RM35-100 for a small 30ml bottle. So be sure to check out the recommendations below for the best vitamin c serums you can get from the drugstore too!
What’s A Vitamin C Serum?
As the very term suggests, this is a serum containing vitamin C that you can apply on your skin. As part of your daily beauty routine.
Vitamin C (ascorbic acid) is not just for boosting your immune system (like probiotics) or for healthy gums and teeth!
This vitamin is vital for skin growth and repair. It helps with collagen production too.
What’s The Benefits Of Using Vitamin C Serum?
Other anti-aging benefits of Vitamin C:
- All skin types can use it
- Brightens and evens out your skin tone
- Lightens hyper pigmentation
- Fades under-eye circles
- Acts as anti-oxidant against sun damage
- Retains moisture in your skin
How To Choose The Best Vitamin C Serum
1. Vitamin C Form
Vitamin C can come in a host of forms, all with different names:
- L-ascorbic acid
- ascorbyl palmitate
- magnesium ascorbyl phosphate
- tetrahexyldecyl ascorbate
- sodium ascorbyl phosphate
But the one you want (i.e. most effective), is L-ascorbic acid.
It should be among the top 5 ingredients in the list! Cause ingredients are sorted in order from most to least!
The minimum concentration for a good vitamin C serum is 8%. Anything between 10 and 20% is better still!
However, sensitive skin types can opt for 5% concentration. A lower concentration is gentler on the lips too!
As the skin on your lips is much thinner than the rest of your face!
PS: There are lip balms that contain vitamin C too.
Vitamin E (tocopherol) should also be in the list! Along with glutathione and ferulic acid.
Each with their own unique benefits for optimum vitamin C absorption and function!
Vitamin C is sensitive to the environment (e.g. heat, light and air).
Hence, the best way to package it is in a dark glass bottle topped with a dropper cap. Rather than a pump! Unless the pump features an airless design!
Tubes are fine too. As long as the packaging is airtight!
5. Other Criteria To Look Out For:
- Water-free formula – water makes ascorbic acid unstable (i.e. degrades faster)
- Expiry date (expired vitamin C is dark orange or brown)
- Low pH level around 2.5 to 3.5
How To Test Your Skin Sensitivity To A New Vitamin C Serum
Do the patch test:
- Dab a small amount into the crook of your arm
- Leave it there for 24 hours
- Stop using the product if you start seeing redness, a rash or hives on your skin
When & How To Use A Vitamin C Serum
As UV light makes vitamin C less effective!
You can also use your serum after exfoliating with the best body scrub or using your favorite face mask!
Be sure to avoid using products containing benzoyl peroxide or niacinamide together with your vitamin C serum! As these particular chemicals actually make vitamin C less potent.
If you have sensitive skin:
It’s advisable to use your vitamin C serum at night instead of the day. To avoid photosensitivity. And don’t forget to apply sunscreen in the morning!
There’s no problem with using your serum twice a day. But for higher concentrations, this is actually pointless! As the skin can only absorb so much!
13 Best Vitamin C Serum In Malaysia
1. Mad Hippie Vitamin C Serum
Many Americans swear by their Mad Hippie products. Free from harmful chemicals, the Mad Hippie Vitamin C Serum is gentle on sensitive skin! With soothing ingredients like chamomile and aloe vera!
Allow up to a month to see any positive effects!
- Size: 30ml
- Benefits: Enhances skin-brightening and anti-aging
- Key Ingredients: Vitamin C (Sodium Ascorbyl Phosphate), Vitamin E, Ferulic Acid, Hyaluronic Acid, Konjac Root, Chamomile Extract, Clary Sage
- Price: RM115
2. Klairs Freshly Juiced Vitamin Drop
A product of South Korea, the beloved Klairs Freshly Juiced Vitamin Drop may brand itself as hypoallergenic and suitable for sensitive skin. With 5% concentration of vitamin C.
But just be aware that it does contain lavender oil and orange oil – both are known skin irritants for sensitive skin types!
- Size: 35ml
- Benefits: Enhances skin-brightening, protect skin from UV damage, improve skin tone.
- Key Ingredients: Sodium Ascorbyl Phosphate (Vitamin C), Ascorbic Acid (Vitamin C), Sodium Hyaluronate, Grapefruit Fruit Extract, Centella Asiatica Extract
- Price: RM108
3. Garnier Light Complete Vitamin C Booster Serum
Garnier’s Light Complete Vitamin C Booster Serum is best for oily skin types or those prone to acne.
As it has salicylic acid and lemon fruit extract! That does however, mean that it’s not suitable for sensitive skin!
- Size: 30ml
- Benefits: Enhances skin-brightening, reduce dark spots, anti-aging
- Key Ingredients: Niacinamide, Adenosine, Citric Acid, Tocopheryl Acetate (Vitamin E), Sodium Hyaluronate, Salicylic Acid, Lemon Fruit Extract
- Price: RM36.9
4. Timeless 20% Vitamin C + E + Ferulic Acid Serum
For a pretty penny, the clear Timeless 20% Vitamin C + E + Ferulic Acid Serum lightens dark spots in weeks!
It does oxidize fast in Malaysian weather. So keep it in the fridge!
- Size: 30ml
- Benefits: Enhances skin-brightening, reduce brown spots, senile freckles and post-acne marks, anti-aging
- Key Ingredients: L-Ascorbic Acid (Vitamin C), Tocopherol (Vitamin E), Ferulic Acid, Sodium Hyaluronate, Panthenol
- Price: RM123.8
5. Melano CC Vitamin C Brightening Essence
Another water-based vitamin C serum, the Melano CC Vitamin C Brightening Essence is a Japanese product with both ascorbic acid and ascorbyl palmitate to help fade acne scars and reduce the appearance of dark spots!
- Size: 20ml
- Benefits: Enhances skin-brightening, reduce dark spots, freckles and acne scars, moisturizing, anti-aging
- Key Ingredients: Ascorbic Acid (Vitamin C), Tocopheryl Acetate (Vitamin E)
- Price: RM56
6. The Ordinary Vitamin C Suspension 23% + HA Spheres 2%
Avoid using this product if you have oily skin as it does have some comedogenic ingredients.
Otherwise, The Ordinary Vitamin C Suspension 23% + HA Spheres all the way from Canada does a great job in lessoning scars! And balancing out your skin tone!
- Size: 30ml
- Benefits: Enhances skin-brightening, anti-aging
- Key Ingredients: Sodium Hyaluronate, Ascorbic Acid (Vitamin C)
- Price: RM40-55
7. Some By Mi Galactomyces Pure Vitamin C Glow Serum
Some By Mi Galactomyces Pure Vitamin C Glow Serum will bring a glow to your skin! Without leaving a sticky or oily feeling!
Note: This brand has a great face serum for acne-prone skin too!
- Size: 30ml
- Benefits: Enhances skin-brightening, moisturizing, anti-aging
- Key Ingredients: Ascorbic Acid (Vitamin C), Niacinamide, Lavender Oil, Sodium Ascorbyl Phosphate, Adenosine, Sodium Hyaluronate, Allantoin
- Price: ~RM70
8. Good Vibes Vitamin C & Vitamin B3 Skin Glow Serum
The citrus-scented Good Vibes Vitamin C & Vitamin B3 Skin Glow Serum can reduce scars over time. Niacinamide in the formula can help with treating acne too.
Along with glycolic acid which is a chemical exfoliant that is gentler than using a retinoid.
- Size: 10ml
- Benefits: Enhances skin-brightening, moisturizing, reduces wrinkles, anti-aging
- Key Ingredients: Ascorbic Acid (Vitamin C), Glycolic Acid, Lactic Acid, Licorice Extract, Mulberry Extract, Niacinamide, Orange Extract, Yogurt Whey Extract, Cilantro Extract, Bitter Melon Extract, Honey
- Price: RM32
9. By Wishtrend Pure Vitamin C 21.5% Advanced Serum
There’s 20% concentration of ascorbic acid in the By Wishtrend Pure Vitamin C 21.5% Advanced Serum.
And after a few months of using it, many have seen an improvement in acne scars and other blemishes!
- Size: 30ml
- Benefits: Enhances skin-brightening, moisturizing, remove dead skin
- Key Ingredients: Ascorbic Acid (Vitamin C), Panthenol, Sodium Hyaluronate, Hippophae Rhamnoides Water, Allantoin
- Price: RM99.9
10. ArtNaturals Anti-Aging Vitamin C Serum
ArtNaturals Anti-Aging Vitamin C Serum absorbs well. And has ingredients like witch hazel, aloe leaf juice and chamomile to calm irritated skin.
With patience, skin will eventually look more even and radiant!
- Size: 30ml
- Benefits: Enhances skin-brightening, reduce wrinkles, sun spots & anti-aging
- Key Ingredients: Sodium Ascorbyl Phosphate (Vitamin C), Ferulic Acid, Sodium Hyaluronate Acid, Vitamin E, Centella Asiatica (Gotu Kola), Jojoba Oil, Dandelion & Wild Geranium Extract, Hyaluronic Acid, Aloe Leaf Juice, Chamomile Flower Extract
- Price: RM98
11. InstaNatural Vitamin C Serum
The lightweight InstaNatural Vitamin C Serum improves on hyper pigmentation, fine lines and wrinkles.
Reducing redness and bringing a radiance to your skin as well!
- Size: 30ml
- Benefits: Brighten the skin, lighten dark spots, reduce wrinkles & lines, anti-aging
- Key Ingredients: Sodium Ascorbyl Phosphate (Vitamin C), Licorice Root Extract, Ferulic Acid, Hyaluronic Acid, Tocopheryl Acetate (Vitamin E), Centella Asiatica (Gotu Kola), Sea Buckthorn Oil, Witch Hazel Water
- Price: RM98.8
12. Timeless Hyaluronic Acid Vitamin C Serum
You can safely add the Timeless Hyaluronic Acid Vitamin C Serum to your vitamin C skin care!
Especially for drier skin types! Where the hyaluronic acid and glycerin will help!
- Size: 30ml
- Benefits: Brightens, clarifies and protects, moisturises skin, defend against aging
- Key Ingredients: Vitamin C (Magnesium Ascorbyl Phosphate), Sodium Hyaluronate, Hyaluronic Acid, Aloe Barbadensis, Glycerin
- Price: RM105
13. Radha Beauty Vitamin C Serum
Suffer from breakouts? Radha Beauty Vitamin C Serum will reduce the severity of blemishes and hyper pigmentation for a more even skin tone!
Plus, you’ll gain a healthy glow to your skin!
- Size: 60ml
- Benefits: Brighten the skin, reduce wrinkles & lines, boosts collagen
- Key Ingredients: Sodium Ascorbyl Phosphate (Vitamin C), Hyaluronic Acid, Witch Hazel Water, Green Tea Leaf Extract, Aloe Vera Leaf Extract, Sodium Hyaluronate, Bitter Melon Fruit Extract, Holy Basil Herb Extract, Turmeric Root Extract, Ashwagandha Herb Extract, Ginger Root Extract
- Price: RM109
If your skin can take it, the best vitamin C serum in Malaysia should include L-ascorbic acid, vitamin E and ferulic acid. And with 20% L-ascorbic acid, item 9 is very effective! Items 4 and 11 has all three of these key ingredients!
For sensitive skin types though, item 1 is more suitable. And if you’re looking for a drugstore alternative, give item 5 a shot!