Treat your dog to the best dog food in Malaysia 2021! For optimum health that will literally shine through your pet’s coat!
To do so, you’ll want to avoid poor quality dog food. That uses fillers and artificial flavors instead of genuine ingredients! Or more carbohydrates than protein!
Of course, that means sifting through numerous brands! And knowing what to look for in pet food labels.
This list of dog food reviews will help!
Types Of Dog Food
Like the best cat food, commercial dog food can be dry, wet or canned. There’s even grain free dog food in Malaysia!
The main difference is the water content. And shelf life!
1. Dry Food
Kibble contains ~10% water. If your dog is a chewer, this will keep their teeth clean too! Shelf life is long which makes it convenient for feeding and storing!
This is usually the most cost-effective option.
2. Wet Food
Higher moisture content (~35% water), wet food (or semi-moist food) comes in Tetrapaks or similar pouches. They can be chunks of meat in gravy or jelly. And some resemble cubed luncheon meat.
You should only feed your dog these once in a while as they don’t have as much nutritional balance as kibble.
Don’t keep wet food for longer than a day (and without a refrigerator) once you open the pack!
3. Canned Food
Canned food typically has long shelf life and the highest water content (70-80%). Even the most finicky eaters will not reject the taste and variety of canned food.
However, they are expensive with less nutrients.
4. Raw Food
Sometimes, you might see packaged raw food for dogs too. While messy, raw meat retains nutrition that might otherwise be lost through conventional cooking methods.
And without additional ingredients that your dog might actually find harder to digest!
Our Top Picks
- Best Gourmet – Homemade Dog Meals By Doggy Bag Malaysia
- Best For High Protein Content (Active Dogs) – PledgeCare Air Dried Dog Food or Orijen Six Fish Dog Food
- Best For Allergies – Natural Balance Limited Ingredient Diets® Sweet Potato & Fish Formula Dry Dog Food, or Merrick Grain Free Real Salmon And Sweet Potato Recipe Dry Dog Food, or Carnilove Dog Lamb & Wild Boar Grain Free Dry Dog Food
- Best For Weight Loss – Happy Dog Natur Croq Adult Lamb And Rice Dry Dog Food
- Best For Digestive Health – Natural Core BENE2 M50 Chicken And Salmon Formula Dog Food or Acana Grass-Fed Lamb Grain Free Dry Dog Food
- Best Kibble Toppers (For Fussy Eaters) – Monge Paté And Chunkies Wet Dog Food, or ALPS NATURAL Pureness Canned Dog Food
11 Best Dog Food In Malaysia 2021
Regardless of the dog food brand or type of dog food, we recommend that you practice a gradual introduction of any new food to your pet!
Starting with half new food and half old. Before completely switching over after multiple days!
Best Dry Dog Food Malaysia
1. PledgeCare Air Dried Dog Food & Treats
No dog can say no to the variety of meats offered by PledgeCare:
Of their air dried selection for dog food, there are 4 recipes with 80% locally sourced meat (fish, beef, chicken, or duck)! And 20% vegetables for fiber, as well as superfoods like flax seed!
A gleaming coat and consistent stools will be testament to the nutrients!
You can start off your pooch with 300g first to see how your pet feels about this unique dog food!
But we’re pretty sure they’ll love it, either as a meal or as a topping for their regular kibble!
Besides the air dried food, the chewy treats are equally tempting to your canine friend. With irresistible choices of protein in bite-sized portions!
Note: There are combo packs for dog food and treats
The founder (Louis Tan) of PledgeCare started this business to solve his own dog’s skin problems!
And some of the proceeds from PledgeCare go into supporting animal welfare organizations in Malaysia too! Like Malaysian Dogs Deserve Better (MDDB).
- Protein: 51% | Fat: 29% | Moisture: 7% | Fiber: 3%
- Ingredients: Fresh Chicken (ground with bone), Chicken Gizzard, Chicken Liver, Chicken Heart, Carrot, Pumpkin, Green Beans, Spinach, Papaya, Flaxseed, Sunflower Seed, Coconut Oil, Cod-liver Oil, Turmeric Root
- Suitable For: All Life Stages
- Size: 300g, 750g, 1.5kg, 3kg
- Price: RM29, RM67, RM127, RM245
2. Orijen Six Fish Dog Food
Best For High Protein Content
As the name implies, there’re 6 different types of fish that go into the contents of the high-quality Orijen Six Fish Dog Food! Fish by the way, is a fantastic source of omega oils.
That is what brings out the luster in your furkid’s coat!
Active dogs in particular will thrive on this dog food! According to this in-depth review by petfoodreviewer.
And if you have a dog that needs to keep weight off, you can move him over to this low carb option! As long as you make sure that he gets his daily exercise too!
- Protein: 38% | Fat: 18% | Moisture: 12% | Fiber: 5%
- Protein Source: Fresh Whole Pacific Pilchard, Whole Pacific Mackerel, Whole Pacific Hake, Whole Pacific Flounder, Whole Rockfish, Whole Sole
- Other Nutrients: Omega-3 & Omega-6 Fatty Acids, Calcium, Phosphorus, Zinc
- Suitable For: All Life Stages
- Size: 11.4kg
- Price: RM441
3. Natural Balance Limited Ingredient Diets® Sweet Potato & Fish Formula Dry Dog Food
Best For Allergies
Dogs with allergies may see improvement with this limited ingredient diet:
Many flavors are available for this dry dog food as well. This particular formula is grain-free with salmon as the main ingredient!
Thus, picky eaters may succumb to the delicious flavors! Plus, we found that this dog food rates high (4.5 stars) out of 888 reviews on chewy.com!
- Protein: 21% | Fat: 10% | Moisture: 10% | Fiber: 5%
- Protein Source: Sweet Potatoes, Salmon, Salmon Meal, Canola Oil, Potato Fiber, Salmon Oil
- Other Nutrients: Omega-3 & Omega-6 Fatty Acids, Calcium, Phosphorus, Zinc, Biotin, Vitamin A, Vitamin B, Vitamin D
- Suitable For: Adult Dogs, All Breeds
- Size: 11.8kg
- Price: RM250
4. Happy Dog Natur Croq Adult Lamb And Rice Dry Dog Food
Best For Weight Loss
Free from soya, Happy Dog Natur Croq Adult Lamb And Rice Dry Dog Food is made in Germany with quality ingredients.
There’s also less fat content in this than other brands. Which is a good thing in order to maintain your dog’s weight!
While still providing your dog with plenty of energy!
- Protein: 22% | Fat: 9% | Fiber: 3%
- Protein Source: Poultry Protein, Lamb Protein, Whole Wheat, Whole Grain Maize, Wheat Flour, Maize Flour, Whole Grain Barley, Rice Flour, Beet Pulp, Poultry Fat, Beef Fat, Hydrolised Liver, Fish Meal, Sunflower Oil
- Other Nutrients: Omega-3 & Omega-6 Fatty Acids, Calcium, Phosphorus, Biotin, Vitamin A, Vitamin B, Vitamin D, Vitamin E
- Suitable For: All Life Stages, All Breeds
- Size: 15kg
- Price: RM164.9
5. Natural Core BENE2 M50 Chicken And Salmon Formula Dog Food
Best For Digestive Health
Do you eat organic food? Your dog can too! That means no hidden ingredients like antibiotics, pesticides, herbicides, etc.
The Natural Core BENE2 M50 Chicken And Salmon Formula Dog Food uses human-grade meat, and includes prebiotics and probiotics for your dog’s digestive health!
This Korean brand makes its kibble size small so toy breeds should have no problems chewing them!
- Protein: 24% | Fat: 12% | Moisture: 12% | Fiber: 4%
- Protein Source: Hydrolyzed Chicken Meat, Chicken Meat Powder, Hydrolyzed Salmon, Sweet Potato, Sunflower Seeds, Chicken Fat, Flaxseeds, L-Lysine, Beet Pulp
- Other Nutrients: Calcium, Phosphorous, Zinc, Iron, Taurine, Biotin, Vitamin A, B, C & D
- Suitable For: All Life Stages Indoor Dogs
- Size: 10kg
- Price: RM289.2
Best Grain Free Dog Food Malaysia
6. Merrick Grain Free Real Salmon And Sweet Potato Recipe Dry Dog Food
Best For Allergies
Along with the Natural Balance Limited Ingredient Diets® Sweet Potato & Fish Formula Dry Dog Food:
We recommend this rich grain-free fish and sweet potato formula by MerrickFood for dogs with sensitive skin too!
It helps especially if you suspect your dog to have a food allergy! Telltale signs to watch out for are constant scratching or sensitive bowels!
However, the one thing we notice about this formula is the higher carbohydrate content (~1/3)! Not ideal if your dog is on a diet!
- Protein: 34% | Fat: 14% | Moisture: 11% | Fiber: 4.5%
- Protein Source: Deboned Salmon, Salmon Meal, Peas, Sweet Potatoes, Potatoes, Whitefish Meal, Sunflower Oil, Pea Protein, Potato Protein, Flaxseed, Deboned Whitefish
- Other Nutrients: Omega-3 & Omega-6 Fatty Acids, Vitamin A, Vitamin B, Vitamin D, Vitamin E, Calcium, Biotin, Zinc, Taurine
- Suitable For: Adults Dogs, All Breeds
- Size: 9.9kg
- Price: RM330.7
7. Acana Grass-Fed Lamb Grain Free Dry Dog Food
Best For Digestive Health
Quality meat (lamb) and plant-based protein (green peas and red lentils mainly) make up the 31% protein content in the Acana Grass-Fed Lamb Grain Free Dry Dog Food.
You’ll see improvement in your dog’s poop consistency too. Thanks to the high fiber content.
Overall, the Acana Grass-Fed Lamb Grain Free Dry Dog Food ranks high (4.5 stars) on dogfoodadvisor.
- Protein: 31% | Fat: 15% | Moisture: 12% | Fiber: 5%
- Protein Source: Raw Grass-Fed Lamb, Lamb Meat Meal, Whole Green Peas, Whole Red Lentils, Raw Lamb Liver, Lamb Fat, Fresh Apples, Whole Garbanzo Beans, Whole Green Lentils, Whole Yellow Peas, Raw Lamb Tripe, Raw Lamb Kidney, Dried Lamb Cartilage, Freeze-Dried Lamb Liver, Lentil Fibre
- Other Nutrients: Omega-3 & Omega-6 Fatty Acids, Vitamin D, Vitamin E, Calcium, Phosphorus, Zinc, Taurine
- Suitable For: All Life Stages, All Breeds
- Size: 11.4kg
- Price: RM367
8. Carnilove Dog Lamb & Wild Boar Grain Free Dry Dog Food
Another high-protein diet that is advisable for sensitive stomachs of adult dogs:
Carnilove Dog Lamb & Wild Boar Grain Free Dry Dog Food has a lot of varied meats. But no grains, potatoes, or common fillers like soy and corn!
Such high quality ingredients do explain the big price tag!
But your dog will certainly not be able to refuse this! And if you’re trying to get an underweight dog to reach a healthy weight with this dog food, go slowly to start!
- Protein: 38% | Fat: 20% | Moisture: 10% | Fiber: 3.2%
- Protein Source: Wild Boar Meat Meal, Free-Range Lamb Meat Meal, Yellow Peas, Chicken Fat, Chicken Liver, Salmon Oil
- Other Nutrients: Omega-3 & Omega-6 Fatty Acids, Vitamin A, Vitamin D, Vitamin E, Calcium, Phosphorus, Zinc, Iron, Selenium
- Suitable For: Adult Dogs, All Breeds.
- Size: 12kg
- Price: RM245
Best Wet Or Canned Dog Food Malaysia
Change it up sometimes. Dogs can get bored of eating the same thing too! You can also mix some wet food with dry dog food!
A great way to encourage fussy eaters to get eating!
9. Monge Paté And Chunkies Wet Dog Food
Best Kibble Toppers
Monge has a huge selection of 16 wet dog food flavors. Some flavors combine meat with certain fruit. But all are grain-free and free from preservatives and dyes!
The high moisture (82%) formula is fine for both puppies or adult dogs too. For large dogs, it is more so a treat or kibble topper. Rather than a full meal!
If you want to get sneaky with giving your dog any medication, slip the respective tablet in and your dog will be none the wiser!
- Protein Source Options: Beef, Chicken, Lamb, Duck, Fish, Pork, Salmon, Tuna, Turkey & More
- Size: 100g each, 32 Cans
- Price: RM96
10. ALPS NATURAL Pureness Canned Dog Food
ALPS NATURAL Pureness Canned Dog Food has 80% moisture content, 8.5% protein and ~6% fats.
Gluten-free and without artificial flavoring, colors and preservatives!
Based on what we can see from multiple reviews, most dogs will likely approve of all 4 available flavors! But if you are not sure which to try first, the lamb and pork flavors are popular!
- Protein Source Options: Pork, Salmon, Turkey, Lamb
- Size: 400g each
- Price: RM3.5
11. Homemade Dog Meals By Doggy Bag Malaysia*
Skip the preservatives, meat by-products, artificial flavoring and colors with the homemade goodness of Doggy Bag Malaysia!
Each irresistible order is made fresh! With recipes that meet the American Association of Animal Feed Control (AAFCO) standards! And according to your dog’s age and breed!
Choose from their standard, gourmet, or premium range on their menu! They have supplements in the form of tasty snacks too!
Note: Based in Klang Valley but you can let them know if you live outside Klang Valley!
- Actual prices and product variations may be different from what you see in this post.
- This list does include sponsors (Indicated with *)
- If your dog has a specific medical condition (e.g. liver problems), you should seek advice from your local vet.
- We appreciate your help to notify us if any product is discontinued or does not suit the list! We welcome your advice if you are an expert in this particular niche too.
How To Choose Dog Food
If your dog has special needs (e.g. sensitive skin), you may want to consult your vet for advice on what you should be feeding your dog!
Otherwise, here are some general guidelines on how to choose dog food for your canine companion!
1. Consider Your Dog’s Age, Size And Activity Level
Puppies, lactating dogs (and certain breeds) have more energy. And their diet should reflect this!
Formulas made for puppies often have higher fat content too! There are even formulas just for senior dogs!
The size of the kibble is important too! If you’re dog isn’t inclined to chew, then large kibble will choke him/ her!
2. Understand Dog Food Labels
Knowing some terms will aide you significantly when you are trying to decide which dog food to choose!
You can see the following terms in the ingredient list or Nutritional Adequacy Statement.
Which is a brief description of how the food can benefit your dog. Or which stage of life it is for!
- AAFCO-certified – This means that the contents (food and label) is guaranteed by AAFCO (Association of American Feed Control Officials) to be true.
- Order of Ingredients – By weight. Meat should be first in the list!
- Meat by-product – A term that can refer to parts like lungs, kidneys, brain, blood, bone, etc. Do be wary if the manufacturer doesn’t exactly list out what it is!
- All life stages – That means puppies, adults and seniors can eat the same food
3. Should Your Dog Have A Grain-Free Diet?
There’s nothing wrong with a formula that has some grain in it. Unless your dog is allergic to a certain type of grain!
Grain-free formulas tend to be more pricey.
Essential Nutrients Dogs Need
- Water – Water makes up more than 50% of a dog’s weight. So don’t rely solely on the water content in the food! Always have a water dish readily available! Filtered water is best!
- Protein – For growth, repair and energy
- Fat – Energy and it’s what gives your pet’s fur and skin that healthy shine! Good fats include Omega-6, Omega-3 and linoleic acid
- Vitamins & Minerals – Quality dog food mixes will have the right amount that your dog needs (i.e. vitamin D, A, E, K, B, calcium, etc). And unlike us, vitamin C is not necessary!
- Carbohydrates – Not absolutely essential but they do provide extra energy! Common ingredients are certain vegetables, grains or even fruit.
Ingredients To Avoid On Dog Food Labels
And while you’re at it, be sure to check the expiry date!
- Melamine – known to cause kidney failure
- Propylene glycol and ethylene glycol – the former is not toxic but an artificial additive nonetheless
- Artificial preservatives (BHT, BHA or Ethoxyquin)
- Carrageenan – has a harmful degraded variant (poligeenan); best to avoid altogether!
- “Meat” – if it isn’t specified on the label, leave it on the shelf!
- Artificial coloring
- Sweeteners like corn syrup
- Monosodium Glutamate (MSG) – many dogs are allergic
- Soy, wheat and corn are common allergens too
- Too many fillers (e.g. corn bran, cornstarch, rice bran, oat hulls, etc)
- Sodium Hexametaphosphate – supposed to have dental benefits but is quite harmful
The best dog food in Malaysia will have your four-legged buddy’s coat glistening with health! Manageable poop is also tell-tale sign that the food is compatible!
Be patient! Food allergies are common in dogs and a simple or grain-free dog food recipe may resolve this!
But there should always be more quality protein (non-plant), followed by fats, moisture and fiber!
Of course, dog food is only the first step in properly taking care of your pet;
If you like to know more about how much does a pet actually cost in Malaysia, including vaccinations and check-ups, just click on the article link!