Invest in your health with the best probiotics in Malaysia 2021! You can take them to improve or maintain your health. Or to build your overall immunity to allergies and other ailments!
Probiotic supplements are readily available in Malaysia. However, it gets confusing with numerous brands and strains to choose!
Read this essential guide before you order or buy some probiotics!
What Are Probiotics?
Probiotics are beneficial because they can:
- Boost your immune system!
- Balance the bacteria in your gut
- Help you lose weight (some types)
- Relieve symptoms of IBS (Irritable bowel syndrome)
- Make you feel better mentally (e.g. reduce stress and depression)
- Lower blood pressure
- Help improve certain allergies (more studies needed)
Also called gut flora, probiotics are essentially, the beneficial bacteria that live in your gut.
Are Probiotics And Prebiotics The Same?
No, they’re not! Probiotics refers to living bacteria that provide health benefits. While prebiotics refers to the fibre that humans cannot digest. But serve as food in the gut for these helpful bacteria.
We require a balanced amount of both pro and prebiotics to keep our gut healthy!
There are certain products that contain both pre and probiotics. (Source)
Sources Of Probiotics
Your body doesn’t make this good bacteria naturally. But they can multiply on their own once you have a colony to start with.
Either from birth, baby milk powder, certain fermented food that you eat (e.g. yoghurt, miso, kimchi, kefir, etc). Or as supplements.
And there are probiotics drinks in Malaysia too, like Yakult and Vitagen.
However, you can lose them too:
Taking a course of antibiotics kills bad bacteria as well as these good bacteria. And other factors like your environment, lifestyle and diet can affect the population in your gut.
11 Best Probiotics Malaysia 2021
- Best Probiotic For Digestive Health: Nature’s Bounty Acidophilus Probiotic For Digestive Health
- Best Probiotic For Pregnant Women: Garden Of Life Dr. Formulated Probiotics Once Daily Prenatal
- Best Probiotic For Children and Infants: BioGaia Protectis Baby Drops
- Best Probiotic For General Health And Well-Being: OHMS Probiotics Gold
- Best Symbiotic (Prebiotic + Probiotic): PureMed SymPlus Prebiotics & Probiotics Capsule
1. Nature’s Bounty Acidophilus Probiotic For Digestive Health
Keep this probiotic with Lactobacillus Acidophilus in the fridge after opening it.
Being small, tasteless and narrow, the tablets are easy enough to take!
This supplement has an impressive 4.6/5 score out of 26,000+ global ratings on Amazon. With users coming back for more!
Those with sensitive stomachs prone to getting gassy can try this gentle probiotic. Just remember to store it in the fridge!
- Benefit: For Digestive Health
- Strain: 0.1 Billion CFU Of Lactobacillus Acidophilus
- Size: 120 Tablets
- Price: RM41
2. OSN Active Guard Probiotic
Why is OSN Active Guard Probiotic so expensive?
It takes 3 years for the natural fermentation process of the plant-derived materials (e.g. fruits, mushrooms, seaweeds, etc) to complete. High up in the mountains of the Okayama prefecture, Japan.
Slow acting but works for improving women’s health (e.g. candida) according to reviews. One user saw improvement in bloating too!
Pregnant women with digestive issues can take this with no worries!
- Benefits: Boosts Immunity, For Digestive Health, Optimizing Bowel Health, Reduces Risk Of Diarrhea
- Strain: 17 Strains Of Friendly Lactic Acid Bacteria
- Size: 60 Soft Gels
- Price: RM198
3. Hexbio Granule Probiotics
Made in Malaysia:
The multi-strain Hexbio Granule Probiotics comes in sachets. Dissolve it in water if needed. And take it twice a day (with or without a meal). Its 6 strains include Lactobacillus acidophilus and Bifidobacterium bifidum.
More than 4,500 Singaporeans bought it on Shopee (score of 5 stars)! It tastes pleasant, dissolves quickly (not unlike milk powder), and appears to help with constipation!
Hate taking pills and tablets? Maybe you can try these probiotics to aid with indigestion or constipation! Because they come in sachet form instead. Helps that it tastes good!
- Benefits: For Digestive Health, Boost Immune System, Relief Constipation, Diarrhea, Gastric Problems, Bloating, Indigestion
- Strain: 30 Billion CFU Of Multi-Strain Bacteria / Sachet
- Size: 10 Sachets
- Price: RM22
- Official website
4. Atomy Probiotics 10+ Plus
Another probiotic powder you can get in Malaysia:
Atomy Probiotics 10+ Plus has over 10 types of Lactobacilli, Bifidobacterium and streptococcus thermophilus in each sachet for a healthy gut! And smoother bowel movement!
Reviews on Amazon are encouraging (4.6/5 from 87 ratings) with users finding it effective at relieving constipation (can take 3 days to see positive effects)! There may be some bloating at the beginning!
Exceptionally great for improving uncomfortable cases of constipation (e.g. not going to the bathroom more than 2x a week as one unfortunate user mentioned).
- Benefits: For Digestive Health, Boost Immune System, Relief Constipation, Diarrhea, Gastric Problems, Bloating
- Strain: 3 Billion CFU Of 13 Types Of Lactobacilli / Sachet
- Size: 60 Sachets
- Price: RM119
5. Life Space Broad Spectrum Probiotic
Life Space is one of the best probiotic supplement brands in Australia:
And their Broad Spectrum Probiotic covers 15 strains of helpful bacteria. 1-2 capsules a day is enough to keep your health in check!
Users find these capsules small and not difficult to swallow. It provides almost immediate relief for stomach discomfort according to some reviews!
For short term use and long term use to improve and maintain healthy digestion.
- Benefits: For General Health And Wellbeing, Digestive Health And Immune Health. Can be used for the symptomatic relief of IBS. Helps reduce the risk of antibiotic side effects (such as nausea, vomiting, diarrhoea and bloating)
- Strain: 32 Billion CFU Of 15 Strains Of Beneficial Bacteria / Capsule
- Size: 60 Capsules
- Price: RM109
6. USANA Probiotic
There’s 12 billion stable CFU of bacteria per USANA Probiotic sachet! Lactobacillus rhamnosus helps to relieve IBS and diarrhea while bifidobacterium detoxes the body.
One user experienced bloating afterwards but other users comment that this probiotic is effective for gastric issues. Users like that it’s easy to take too.
Too expensive for long term use. But it works! And quickly!
- Pregnant/ nursing women, anyone with an autoimmune disorder or medical condition, or anyone taking immunosuppressant medication should seek consultation with a doctor first
- Benefits: For Digestive Health And Immune Health
- Strain: 12 Billion CFU Of 2 Strains Of Beneficial Bacteria / Sachet
- Size: 14 Sachets
- Price: RM84.7
7. PureMed SymPlus Prebiotics & Probiotics Capsule
PureMed SymPlus Prebiotics & Probiotics Capsule has an impressive count of 18 different strains of Bifidobacterium and Lactobacillus!
This Malaysian product is certified safe by the US FDA (Food and Drug Administration) too. The recommended dosage is 1-2 daily, and in the morning.
Combining pre and probiotics in one product will enhance healthy bacteria growth in the gut! This may increase efficacy.
If you’re on a course of antibiotics, you can take a PureMed SymPlus Prebiotics & Probiotics Capsule. With a 3 hour gap between the antibiotics.
- Benefits: For Digestive Health And Gastrointestinal Health. Increases body’s resistance towards infectious diseases of the gut.
- Strain: 15 Billion CFU Of 18 Strains Of Beneficial Bacteria / Capsule
- Size: 90 Capsules
- Price: RM128.9
8. OHMS Probiotics Gold
Like the OSN Active Guard Probiotic:
OHMS Probiotics Gold is 100% natural, made from fruit, seaweed, herbs, vegetables, etc. Via a lengthy fermentation process in Japan.
The pills are convenient to take but it may take a week to see any improvements. Users with sensitive stomachs, flatulence, gastric, bloating, and diarrhea deem it helpful!
Note: Take on an empty stomach to maximise efficacy. (Either 45 minutes before breakfast, or 2 hours after final meal at night).
When you still can’t find a probiotic brand/ supplement that agrees with your stomach, you can try this one!
- Benefits: For Digestive Health And General Health, Improve Infants Diarrhea, Relieve Constipation
- Other benefits include: Prevention of recurrent urinary tract infection. Prevention of fungal infection. Shortened duration of pneumonia symptoms. Increased bone density. Reduction of symptoms of skin allergy such as eczema.
- Strain: 8 Strains Of Beneficial Bacteria (Live lactic acid bacteria)
- Size: 60 Capsules
- Price: RM160
9. MegaLive FloraMax Pro
MegaLive FloraMax Pro is a synbiotics (i.e. probiotics with prebiotics) supplement made via rice fermentation.
With 19 strains of Bifidobacterium and Lactobacillus to reinforce your gut and overall health!
If allergies or animal products are your primary concern, the MegaLive FloraMax Pro is another vegetarian-friendly option for the best probiotics in Malaysia.
- Benefits: For Digestive Health, Intestine Health & General Health
- Strain: 20 Billion CFU Of 19 Strains Of Beneficial Bacteria + 2 Types Of Prebiotics / Capsules
- Size: 105 Capsules
- Price: RM223
10. BioGaia Protectis Baby Drops
Contains patented lactic acid bacterium Limosilactobacillus reuteri and Protectis. For a healthy balance of good microorganisms in the gut of children and infants!
Note: Safe to use from day of birth. Can be mixed with formula or breast milk. But make sure it is not too hot or the temperature will kill the live bacteria before they reach the gut!
3,500+ parents rated this 4.6/5 on Amazon. With many saying it helps with easing stomach discomfort (i.e. gassy) in infants. And to regulate bowel movements!
This is one of the most clinically studied and safest probiotics for infants. Helps with easing colic, spit-ups, regurgitation, diarrhoea and constipation.
11. Garden Of Life Dr. Formulated Probiotics Once Daily Prenatal
This probiotic has 20 billion live bacteria sealed in a shelf-stable bottle. Which does not require refrigeration. Thus, very convenient for pregnant mothers to bring around in their handbags!
It contains 16 probiotic strains including L. rhamnosus and L. reuteri. With the additional benefit of prebiotic fibre blend to nurture these good bacteria!
Reviews on Amazon are mostly positive. Remarking that the product helps with constipation, yeast infections, Celiac, UTI, etc. There are also users who say it did nothing much for them.
Helps support the immune system of the mother and baby. And improve digestive health of the mother.
Note: Can be continued throughout lactation. For pregnant women, consult a healthcare professional before commencing on any supplements.
How To Choose the Best Probiotic Supplement
1. What Do You Want To Improve?
There are so many strains of probiotics. Like Bifidobacterium, Lactobacillus or Saccharomyces. And certain strains provide different health benefits.
For relieving constipation, check the label for these strain types:
- B. longum
- S. cerevisiae
- L. acidophilus
- L. rhamnosus
- L. plantarum
- B. animalis
- L. reuteri
The same kind of bacteria in yoghurt (Lactobacillus) can help you digest lactose if you are lactose intolerant! Another strain that helps with diarrhea is Saccharomyces boulardii.
1.3. IBS Symptoms
Also found in dairy products (not all):
Saccharomyces boulardii lessens the severity/ occurrence of symptoms related to IBS. Other strains that help include B. coagulans or Bifidobacterium.
1.4. Brain Health
Both strains of Bifidobacterium and Lactobacillus have been shown to improve memory.
And help with depression, anxiety and even OCD (obsessive compulsive disorder). But this does not mean you should stop taking your medications. And rely fully on probiotics!
Did you know that taking multivitamins can boost your mood too?
1.5. Lose Weight
Probiotics containing Lactobacillus gasseri or Lactobacillus rhamnosus can aid in weight reduction according to some experts and studies. While Bifidobacterium can lower BMI (Body Mass Index).
1.6. Heart Health
To lower your cholesterol levels, look for Lactobacillus acidophilus, Bifidobacterium longum or Lactobacillus reuteri.
Taking the best fish oil Malaysia can help in this regard too!
1.7. Boost Immunity
Children will have less risk of getting a respiratory illness and eczema if their probiotics include the following strains:
- Bifidobacterium longum
- Lactobacillus crispatus
- Bifidobacterium bifidum
- Lactobacillus gasseri
- Lactobacillus GG
Probiotics can help to reduce the occurrence of UTI (Urinary tract infection) or vaginal yeast infection in women too.
You know what else improves the immune system? That’s right! The best vitamin C in Malaysia!
2. What Is The Best Dosage?
The amount that you ingest is important too:
CFU (Colony-forming units) is the measurement unit for probiotics. You need at least 1-2 billion CFU daily for the best results!
But there are some probiotics that perform better with a daily intake of 20 billion CFU instead!
So far, there are no downsides to taking an overdose of probiotics. Although at some point, you will not see further improvement/ benefit.
3. Check The Label
Never hurts to do a little bit of digging to ensure that you’re getting a quality product:
Labels should state the:
- Type/ genus/ strain/ species of probiotic
- Use-by date
- Recommended dosage
- Company name and contact information
- Whether you need to store it in the fridge after opening it
- Who it is suitable for (children, pregnant women, breastfeeding women, those with medical conditions)
- Possible side effects (including serious adverse reactions) after commencing product
4. Choose Reliable Probiotic Brands
That means a long standing brand. Or one that’s certified by a third-party (e.g. ConsumerLab or the USP) for reliability.
And if you want to be certain, see your family doctor on what he or she recommends!
Most of the best probiotics in Malaysia target digestive issues. And they are frequently sold in powder or capsule form.
It’s ideal to go with the naturally processed (and/or sourced) probiotics though these are more expensive:
- OSN Active Guard Probiotic
- OHMS Probiotics Gold
- MegaLive FloraMax Pro
For better value for money, try certified local brands. Like PureMed SymPlus Prebiotics & Probiotics Capsule!
Eventhough pro and prebiotics promise many health benefits:
There are possible side effects and allergic reactions associated with their use. Furthermore, certain products may not be fit for anyone who is pregnant, breastfeeding or on certain medication(s).
So consulting your doctor or pharmacist beforehand is the safest (and highly recommended) route to take!