Invest in your health with the best probiotics in Malaysia 2020! You can take them to improve or maintain your health. Or to build your overall immunity to allergies and other ailments!
Probiotic supplements are readily available in Malaysia. However, it gets confusing with numerous brands and strains to choose!
Read this essential guide before you order or buy some probiotics!
What Are Probiotics?
Probioics are beneficial because they can:
- Boost your immune system!
- Balance the bacteria in your gut
- Help you lose weight (some types)
- Relieve symptoms of IBS (Irritable bowel syndrome)
- Make you feel better mentally (e.g. reduce stress and depression)
- Lower blood pressure
- Help improve certain allergies (more studies needed)
Also called gut flora, probiotics are essentially, the beneficial bacteria that live in your gut.
Sources Of Probiotics
Your body doesn’t make this good bacteria naturally. But they can multiply on their own once you have a colony to start with.
Either from birth, baby milk powder, certain fermented food that you eat (e.g. yoghurt, miso, kimchi, kefir, etc). Or as supplements.
And there are probiotics drinks in Malaysia too, like Yakult and Vitagen.
However, you can lose them too:
Taking a course of antibiotics kills bad bacteria as well as these good bacteria. And other factors like your environment, lifestyle and diet can affect the population in your gut.
How To Choose the Best Probiotic Supplement
1. What Do You Want To Improve?
There are so many strains of probiotics. Like Bifidobacterium, Lactobacillus or Saccharomyces. And certain strains provide different health benefits.
For constipation, check the label for these strain types:
- B. longum
- S. cerevisiae
- L. acidophilus
- L. rhamnosus
- L. plantarum
- B. animalis
- L. reuteri
1.3. IBS Symptoms
Also found in dairy products (not all), Saccharomyces boulardii lessens the severity/ occurrence of symptoms related to IBS. Other strains that help include B. coagulans or Bifidobacterium.
1.4. Brain Health
Both strains of Bifidobacterium and Lactobacillus have been shown to improve memory.
And help with depression, anxiety and even OCD (obsessive compulsive disorder).
Did you know that taking multivitamins can boost your mood too?
1.5. Lose Weight
Probiotics containing Lactobacillus gasseri or Lactobacillus rhamnosus can aid in weight reduction according to some experts and studies. While Bifidobacterium can lower BMI (Body Mass Index).
1.7. Boost Immunity
Children will have less risk of getting a respiratory illness and eczema if their probiotics include the following strains:
- Bifidobacterium longum
- Lactobacillus crispatus
- Bifidobacterium bifidum
- Lactobacillus gasseri
- Lactobacillus GG
Probiotics can help to reduce the occurrence of UTI (Urinary tract infection) or vaginal yeast infection in women too.
You know what else improves the immune system? That’s right! The best vitamin C in Malaysia!
2. What Is The Best Dosage?
The amount that you ingest is important too:
CFU (Colony-forming units) is the measurement unit for probiotics. You need at least 1-2 billion CFU daily for the best results!
But there are some probiotics that perform better with a daily intake of 20 billion CFU instead!
So far, there are no downsides to taking an overdose of probiotics. Although at some point, you will not see further improvement/ benefit.
3. Check The Label
Never hurts to do a little bit of digging to ensure that you’re getting a quality product:
Labels should state the:
- Type/ genus/ strain/ species of probiotic
- Use-by date
- Recommended dosage
- Company name and contact information
- Whether you need to store it in the fridge after opening it
4. Choose Reliable Probiotic Brands
That means a long standing brand. Or one that’s certified by a third-party (e.g. ConsumerLab or the USP) for reliability.
And if you want to be certain, see your family doctor on what he or she recommends!
9 Best Probiotics Malaysia 2020
1. Nature’s Bounty Acidophilus Probiotic For Digestive Health
Keep this probiotic with Lactobacillus Acidophilus in the fridge after opening it.
Being small, tasteless and narrow, the tablets are easy enough to take!
- Benefit: For Digestive Health
- Strain: 0.1 Billion CFU Of Lactobacillus Acidophilus
- Size: 120 Tablets
- Price: RM41
2. OSN Active Guard Probiotic
Why is OSN Active Guard Probiotic so expensive?
It takes 3 years for the natural fermentation process of the plant-derived materials (e.g. fruits, mushrooms, seaweeds, etc) to complete. High up in the mountains of the Okayama prefecture, Japan.
- Benefits: Boosts Immunity, For Digestive Health, Optimizing Bowel Health, Reduces Risk Of Diarrhea
- Strain: 17 Strains Of Friendly Lactic Acid Bacteria
- Size: 60 Soft Gels
- Price: RM198
3. Hexbio Granule Probiotics
Made in Malaysia, the multi-strain Hexbio Granule Probiotics comes in sachets. Dissolve it in water if needed. And take it twice a day (with or without a meal).
Its 6 strains include Lactobacillus acidophilus and Bifidobacterium bifidum.
- Benefits: For Digestive Health, Boost Immune System, Relief Constipation, Diarrhea, Gastric Problems, Bloating, Indigestion
- Strain: 30 Billion CFU Of Multi-Strain Bacteria / Sachet
- Size: 10 Sachets
- Price: RM22
4. Atomy Probiotics 10+ Plus
Another probiotic powder you can get in Malaysia:
Atomy Probiotics 10+ Plus has over 10 types of Lactobacilli, Bifidobacterium and streptococcus thermophilus in each sachet for a healthy gut! And smoother bowel movement!
- Benefits: For Digestive Health, Boost Immune System, Relief Constipation, Diarrhea, Gastric Problems, Bloating
- Strain: 3 Billion CFU Of 13 Types Of Lactobacilli / Sachet
- Size: 60 Sachets
- Price: RM119
5. Life Space Broad Spectrum Probiotic
Life Space is one of the best probiotic supplement brands in Australia. And their Broad Spectrum Probiotic covers 15 strains of helpful bacteria.
1-2 capsules a day is enough to keep your health in check!
- Benefits: For General Health And Wellbeing, Digestive Health And Immune Health
- Strain: 32 Billion CFU Of 15 Strains Of Beneficial Bacteria / Capsule
- Size: 60 Capsules
- Price: RM109
6. USANA Probiotic
There’s 12 billion stable CFU of bacteria (Bifidobacterium animalis subsp. Lactis and Lactobacillus rhamnosus) per USANA Probiotic sachet!
- Pregnant/ nursing women, anyone with an autoimmune disorder or medical condition, or anyone taking immunosuppressant medication should seek consultation with a doctor first
- Benefits: For Digestive Health And Immune Health
- Strain: 12 Billion CFU Of 2 Strains Of Beneficial Bacteria / Sachet
- Size: 14 Sachets
- Price: RM84.7
7. PureMed SymPlus Prebiotics & Probiotics Capsule
PureMed SymPlus Prebiotics & Probiotics Capsule has an impressive count of 18 different strains of Bifidobacterium and Lactobacillus!
This Malaysian product is certified safe by the US FDA (Food and Drug Administration) too. The recommended dosage is 1-2 daily, and in the morning.
- Benefits: For Digestive Health And Gastrointestinal Health
- Strain: 15 Billion CFU Of 18 Strains Of Beneficial Bacteria / Capsule
- Size: 90 Capsules
- Price: RM128.9
8. OHMS Probiotics Gold
Like the OSN Active Guard Probiotic:
OHMS Probiotics Gold is 100% natural, made from fruit, seaweed, herbs, vegetables, etc. Through many years of fermentation in Japan.
- Benefits: For Digestive Health And General Health, Improve Infants Diarrhea, Relieve Constipation
- Strain: 8 Strains Of Beneficial Bacteria (Live lactic acid bacteria)
- Size: 60 Capsules
- Price: RM160
9. MegaLive FloraMax Pro
MegaLive FloraMax Pro is a synbiotics (i.e. probiotics with prebiotics) supplement made via rice fermentation.
With 19 strains of Bifidobacterium and Lactobacillus to reinforce your gut and overall health!
- Benefits: For Digestive Health, Intestine Health & General Health
- Strain: 20 Billion CFU Of 19 Strains Of Beneficial Bacteria + 2 Types Of Prebiotics / Capsules
- Size: 105 Capsules
- Price: RM223
Most of the best probiotics in Malaysia target digestive issues. And they are frequently sold in powder or capsule form.
It’s ideal to go with the naturally processed (and/or sourced) probiotics (like items 2, 8 and 9) though these are more expensive. For value for money, certified local brands will do (see item 7).