BestBuyGet is reader-supported. We may earn commission from the links in this article at no extra cost to you. Learn more.
Invest in your health with the best probiotics in Malaysia 2022! You can take them to improve or maintain your health. Or to build your overall immunity to allergies and other ailments!
Probiotic supplements are readily available in Malaysia. However, it gets confusing with numerous brands and strains to choose from.
Read this essential guide before you order or buy some probiotics!
Table Of Contents:
11 Best Probiotics Malaysia 2022
- Best Single-Strain Probiotic For Digestive Health – Nature’s Bounty Acidophilus Probiotic For Digestive Health
- Best Probiotic For Pregnant Women – Garden Of Life Dr. Formulated Probiotics Once Daily Prenatal
- Best Probiotic For Children and Infants – BioGaia Protectis Baby Drops
- Best Probiotic For General Health And Well-Being – OHMS Probiotics Gold
- Best Affordable Non Dairy Symbiotic (Prebiotic + Probiotic) – PureMed SymPlus Prebiotics & Probiotics Capsule
- Best Quick-Acting Probiotics For Constipation – Atomy Probiotics 10+ Plus
- Best Vegan Probiotics For Long Term Use – OSN Active Guard Probiotic
- Best Tasting Probiotics For Digestive Health – Hexbio Granule Probiotics
- Best Vegetarian-Friendly Probiotics That Do Not Require Refrigeration – Life Space Broad Spectrum Probiotic
- Best Probiotic For Bloating – USANA Probiotics
- Best Affordable 100% Natural Probiotics – OHMS Probiotics Gold
1. Nature’s Bounty Acidophilus Probiotic For Digestive Health
Best Probiotic For Digestive Health
Keep this probiotic with lactobacillus acidophilus (1 strain only) in the fridge after opening it.
Being small, tasteless and narrow (similar to the size of Bayar aspirin), the tablets of the Nature’s Bounty Acidophilus Probiotic For Digestive Health are easy enough to take!
Though you might want to wash them down with a drink since they don’t have any added flavoring or sweeteners to make the taste more appealing.
This supplement has an impressive 4.6/5 score out of 26,000+ global ratings on Amazon. With users coming back for more!
Those with sensitive stomachs prone to getting gassy can try this gentle probiotic. Just remember to store the Nature’s Bounty Acidophilus Probiotic For Digestive Health in the fridge!
Note: Pregnant women, nursing mothers and anyone with a medical condition or on medication should check with their doctor first before taking this supplement.
- Benefit: For Digestive Health
- Strain: 0.1 Billion CFU Of Lactobacillus Acidophilus
- Size: 120 Tablets
- Price: RM41
- For lowering cholesterol too
- No artificial colors, flavors, or sweeteners
- Free from lactose, wheat, sugar, soy, milk and preservatives
- Suitable for vegetarians
- Can reduces symptoms of IBS-D (e.g. cramps, bloating, etc)
- Small sized, smooth, and tasteless which makes them easy to swallow
- Mild and gentle on the stomach (e.g. no excess gas or bloating)
- Trusted manufacturer (more than 50 years)
- Only contains a single strain
- Has to be stored in the fridge (fine print is very small and not noticeable)
- Dissolves fast which can taste bad – take them with a liquid
- Possible side effects include stomach bloating or discomfort. If you have an allergic reaction (difficulty breathing, swelling of lips and face, hives). See the doctor immediately! (Source)
2. OSN Active Guard Probiotic
Why is OSN Active Guard Probiotic so expensive?
It takes 3 years for the natural fermentation process of the plant-derived materials (e.g. fruits, mushrooms, seaweeds, etc) to complete. High up in the mountains of the Okayama prefecture, Japan.
These probiotics with 17 different strains are slow acting (up to 6 months before you notice any effects) but work for improving women’s health (e.g. candida) according to reviews.
You might see improvement if you suffer from bloating too!
Furthermore, pregnant women with digestive issues can take the OSN Active Guard Probioticwith no worries too. As can vegans without any guilt!
The compromise (besides the price) is commitment and discipline as you need to take the OSN Active Guard Probiotic a few times a day, an on an empty stomach for optimum benefits.
- Benefits: Boosts Immunity, For Digestive Health, Optimizing Bowel Health, Reduces Risk Of Diarrhea
- Strain: 17 Strains Of Friendly Lactic Acid Bacteria
- Size: 60 Soft Gels
- Price: RM198
- Safe for children, elders, pregnant and lactating mothers
- Many health benefits (e.g. improves bowel health and vaginal gut health, reduces bloating, boosts immunity, etc)
- Has vitamin B too
- Registered with MOH (MAL05121226TC)
- Can take 6 months to feel the benefits
- Must be taken on an empty stomach
- Frequent dosage – You will have to consume 2-4 soft-gels per day for maintenance of good health.
3. Hexbio Granule Probiotics
Made in Malaysia:
The multi-strain Hexbio Granule Probiotics comes in sachets. Dissolve it in water if needed. And take it twice a day (with or without a meal). Its 6 strains include lactobacillus acidophilus and bifidobacterium bifidum.
Interestingly, more than 4,500 Singaporeans bought it on Shopee with a rating score of 5 stars!
Besides the certified halal status and suitable for those with lactose intolerance, these probiotics taste pleasant and dissolves quickly (not unlike milk powder).
So if you hate taking pills and tablets, you can take the Hexbio Granule Probiotics to aid with indigestion or constipation! Because they come in sachet form instead.
Plus, it doesn’t hurt that it tastes good!
Note: Orange flavored; children take 1 sachet a day.
- Benefits: For Digestive Health, Boost Immune System, Relief Constipation, Diarrhea, Gastric Problems, Bloating, Indigestion
- Strain: 30 Billion CFU Of Multi-Strain Bacteria / Sachet
- Size: 10 Sachets
- Price: RM22
- Official website
- Free from gluten and other common allergens (like peanuts)
- Suitable for people with lactose intolerance
- Certified halal
- Manufactured and regulated by National Pharmaceutical Regulatory Agency (NPRA), Malaysian Ministry of Health
- Dissolves easily
- Helps with gastric, heartburn or acid indigestion, and bloating
- One box only lasts 5-10 days
- May not be suitable for pregnant women (Consult doctor before use).
- Initially, you may experience side effects such as loose stools. This should resolve over time.
4. Atomy Probiotics 10+ Plus
Another probiotic powder you can get in Malaysia besides the Hexbio Granule Probiotics:
Atomy Probiotics 10+ Plus has over 10 types of lactobacilli, bifidobacterium and streptococcus thermophilus in each sachet for a healthy gut! And smoother bowel movement!
Like the Hexbio Granule Probiotics, the Atomy Probiotics 10+ Plus has a pleasant orange flavor to it.
Reviews on Amazon are encouraging (4.6/5 from 87 ratings) with users finding it effective at relieving constipation (it can take 3 days to see positive effects)!
Although, there may be some bloating at the beginning.
Regardless, the Atomy Probiotics 10+ Plus is our pick for a fast-acting solution if you suffer from constipation.
It’s exceptionally great for improving uncomfortable cases of constipation (e.g. not going to the bathroom more than 2x a week).
However, one inevitable drawback that you will have to put up with is feeling gassy for a while after taking the Atomy Probiotics 10+ Plus.
Note: Orange flavored.
- Benefits: For Digestive Health, Boost Immune System, Relief Constipation, Diarrhea, Gastric Problems, Bloating
- Strain: 3 Billion CFU Of 13 Types Of Lactobacilli / Sachet
- Size: 60 Sachets
- Price: RM119
- Can be consumed by children and youths
- Only need 1 sachet a day (for children, ¼ is enough. Teenagers, ½ packet)
- Effective on digestive problems (e.g. constipation, indigestion, heartburn, stomachaches, bloating, etc)
- Tastes good (citrus) – you can try adding it to milk
- Can be stored in room temperature (in a cool dry place)
- Fast acting – Helps you poop in as fast as 2 hours
- Boosts immunity
- May experience excessive gas at first, or if overdosage occurs.
- Instructions are only in Korean
5. Life Space Broad Spectrum Probiotic
Life Space is one of the best probiotic supplement brands in Australia:
The Life Space Broad Spectrum Probiotic covers 15 strains of helpful bacteria. 1-2 capsules a day is enough to keep your health in check!
Best of all, these capsules are small and not difficult to swallow. And the probiotics provide almost-immediate relief for stomach discomfort according to some reviews!
You can take the Life Space Broad Spectrum Probiotic for short term use or long term use to improve and maintain healthy digestion.
However, do note that the expiry duration is rather short (3 months).
We like that you don’t have to store these probiotics in the fridge either. The formula is vegetarian-friendly too.
Note: Do not take this at the same time with your prescription medications, including antibiotics. Consult your healthcare professional on the advisable number of hours between them.
- Benefits: For General Health And Wellbeing, Digestive Health And Immune Health. Can be used for the symptomatic relief of IBS. Helps reduce the risk of antibiotic side effects (such as nausea, vomiting, diarrhoea and bloating)
- Strain: 32 Billion CFU Of 15 Strains Of Beneficial Bacteria / Capsule
- Size: 60 Capsules
- Price: RM109
- No added dairy or gluten
- No need to refrigerate the supplement
- Works well for gastrointestinal problems (e.g. diarrhea)
- Broad spectrum probiotics that are reasonably priced
- Aids with bloating, IBS, diarrhea, celiac disease, etc
- Short expiry period (consume within 3 months)
6. USANA Probiotic
There’s 12 billion stable CFU of bacteria per USANA Probiotic sachet! Lactobacillus rhamnosus helps to relieve IBS and diarrhea while bifidobacterium detoxes the body.
There may be some bloating afterwards but this probiotic is effective for gastric issues. And users like that it’s easy to take too since they don’t have any particular taste.
However, the Usana probiotics are pretty expensive for long term use. But they do work. And quickly too!
And unlike the Life Space Broad Spectrum Probiotic, the USANA Probiotics have a much longer shelf life as long as you keep them in a cool place (up to 18 months).
Note: Pregnant/ nursing women, anyone with an autoimmune disorder or medical condition, or anyone taking immunosuppressant medication should seek consultation with a doctor first
- Benefits: For Digestive Health And Immune Health
- Strain: 12 Billion CFU Of 2 Strains Of Beneficial Bacteria / Sachet
- Size: 14 Sachets
- Price: RM84.7
- Gluten-free, sugar-free, and dairy-free
- Easy to use (mix one stick pack with your favourite cold food or beverage!)
- Fast results (within a week)
- Helps with bloating
- Long shelf life at 25°C (18 months)
- Mixes with water well
- Does not taste bad (not much taste)
- You can also open the sachet and eat the powder directly
- Expensive for the amount you get
- Not for children
- Doesn’t seem to help with constipation
- Can’t use it for hot beverages
- Once opened, consume within 30 minutes
7. PureMed SymPlus Prebiotics & Probiotics Capsule
Best Symbiotic (Prebiotic + Probiotic)
PureMed SymPlus Prebiotics & Probiotics Capsule has an impressive count of 18 different strains of bifidobacterium and lactobacillus!
This probiotic supplement combines pre and probiotics into one product to encourage healthy bacteria growth in the gut!
This Malaysian product is certified safe by the US FDA (Food and Drug Administration) too. The recommended dosage is 1-2 daily.
And unlike the Life Space Broad Spectrum Probiotic, you can take a PureMed SymPlus Prebiotics & Probiotics Capsule even if you’re on a course of antibiotics.
As long as there is a 3-hour gap between the antibiotics and the prebiotics.
On another note, you do have to store the PureMed SymPlus Prebiotics & Probiotics Capsules in the fridge once you open up the bottle.
Which is a small issue since the PureMed SymPlus Prebiotics & Probiotics Capsules are more affordable than other probiotics in the market (like the Life Space Broad Spectrum Probiotic)!
Moreover, there are users who will appreciate that this is a non dairy product in vegatarian capsules!
- Benefits: For Digestive Health And Gastrointestinal Health. Increases body’s resistance towards infectious diseases of the gut.
- Strain: 15 Billion CFU Of 18 Strains Of Beneficial Bacteria / Capsule
- Size: 90 Capsules
- Price: RM128.9
- Non dairy
- KKM certified
- In vegetable capsules
- Has to be refrigerated once opened (recommended)
8. OHMS Probiotics Gold
Best Probiotic For General Health And Well-Being
Like the OSN Active Guard Probiotic, OHMS Probiotics Gold is 100% natural, made from fruit, seaweed, herbs, vegetables, etc. And coincidentally also via a lengthy fermentation process in Japan.
Take the OHMS Probiotics Gold an empty stomach to maximize efficiency. (Either 45 minutes before breakfast, or 2 hours after final meal at night).
You don’t have to store these probiotics in the fridge and the pills are convenient to take but it may take at least a week to see any improvements.
Users with sensitive stomachs, flatulence, gastric, bloating, and diarrhea deem it helpful though!
So if you still can’t find a probiotic brand/ supplement that agrees with your stomach and if you don’t mind the price (the OHMS Probiotics Gold is still cheaper than the OSN Active Guard Probiotic), you can try the OHMS Probiotics Gold!
- Benefits: For Digestive Health And General Health, Improve Infants Diarrhea, Relieve Constipation
- Other benefits include: Prevention of recurrent urinary tract infection. Prevention of fungal infection. Shortened duration of pneumonia symptoms. Increased bone density. Reduction of symptoms of skin allergy such as eczema.
- Strain: 8 Strains Of Beneficial Bacteria (Live lactic acid bacteria)
- Size: 60 Capsules
- Price: RM160
- 100% dairy-free
- Free from additives, pesticides, chemical fertilizers and preservatives
- Safe for children, pregnant/ nursing mothers, elderly, and anyone with a compromised immune system
- Shelf-stable and no refrigeration is required.
- More than 50 sold on alphropharmacy.com. With 20 positive reviews.
9. MegaLive FloraMax Pro
With 19 strains of bifidobacterium and lactobacillus to reinforce your gut and overall health:
MegaLive FloraMax Pro is a sugar-free synbiotics (i.e. probiotics with prebiotics) supplement made via rice fermentation.
Hence, if allergies or animal products are your primary concern, the MegaLive FloraMax Pro is another vegetarian-friendly option for the best probiotics in Malaysia.
They are admittedly expensive however and kids will not be able to take the MegaLive FloraMax Pro (there is a specific kids version).
- Benefits: For Digestive Health, Intestine Health & General Health
- Strain: 20 Billion CFU Of 19 Strains Of Beneficial Bacteria + 2 Types Of Prebiotics / Capsules
- Size: 105 Capsules
- Price: RM223
- Doesn’t have the usual food allergens (e.g. wheat, yeast, egg, corn, soy, gluten, etc)
- No artificial flavoring or preservatives
- Don’t have to refrigerate this product
- Suitable for vegetarians
- Quite pricey
- Not suitable for kids (they can take MegaLive Flora Kids instead)
10. BioGaia Protectis Baby Drops
Best Probiotic For Children and Infants
The popular BioGaia Protectis Baby Drops contains patented lactic acid bacterium limosilactobacillus reuteri and protectis.
These provide a healthy balance of good microorganisms in the gut of children and infants!
The probiotics are even safe to use from a newborn’s day of birth. You either mix it with formula or breast milk.
Just make sure that the milk is not too hot or the temperature will kill the live bacteria before they reach the gut!
An astounding 3,500+ parents rated the BioGaia Protectis Baby Drops 4.6/5 on Amazon. With many saying it helps with easing stomach discomfort (i.e. gassy) in infants. While regulating bowel movements!
However, results are not immediate (up to 3 days to see an improvement) and the bacteria are highly susceptible to heat. You can’t keep the BioGaia Protectis Baby Drops for long either (consume within 3 months of opening the bottle)!
All-in-all, the BioGaia Protectis Baby Drops is one of the most recognized (It is listed on MIMS) probiotics for infants.
And so, you can depend on the BioGaia Protectis Baby Drops to help with easing colic, spit-ups, regurgitation, diarrhoea and constipation in your baby.
- 5 drops contain 100 million live L.reuteri Protectis
- Size: 5 ml
- Price: ~RM90
- Official website
- No artificial coloring or flavoring
- No dairy or soy
- Safe for long-term use
- No choking hazard (as it is in drop form)
- No major side effects. Some experience flatulence but generally resolves in a few days.
- Easy to use (varies from baby to baby)
- For baby colic issues and acid reflux
- Tight storage conditions (Must store in refrigeration as live bacteria are destroyed by excess heat)
- Once opened, must be consumed within 3 months
- Instructions not in English
- Need on average, 3 days to see improvements
11. Garden Of Life Dr. Formulated Probiotics Once Daily Prenatal
Best Probiotic For Pregnant Women
While pricey, this probiotic has 20 billion live bacteria to support the immune system of the mother and baby. And improve digestive health of the mother.
The probiotics are sealed in a shelf-stable bottle which does not require refrigeration.
Thus, the Garden Of Life Dr. Formulated Probiotics Once Daily Prenatal is very convenient for pregnant mothers to bring around in their handbags!
It contains 16 probiotic strains including L. rhamnosus and L. reuteri. With the additional benefit of prebiotic fibre blend to nurture these good bacteria.
Reviews on Amazon are mostly positive. Remarking that the product helps with constipation, yeast infections, Celiac, UTI, etc. There are also users who say that it did nothing much for them.
You can continue to take the Garden Of Life Dr. Formulated Probiotics Once Daily Prenatal all throughout lactation.
But pregnant women should consult a healthcare professional before commencing on any supplements.
- Strain: 16 probiotic strains including L. rhamnosus and L. reuteri
- Size: 30 Capsules
- Price: ~RM170
- Official website
- Convenient due to once-daily dosage
- Does not require refrigeration – very convenient for pregnant mothers to bring around in their handbags!
- Diary-free, gluten-free, non-GMO and soy free.
- Seems to cause no side effects
- Regulates digestion
- Small and easy to take, with no aftertaste
- Relieves cramping
- Some mums detect a chemical smell to the tablets
What Are Probiotics?
Probiotics are beneficial because they can:
- Boost your immune system!
- Balance the bacteria in your gut
- Help you lose weight (some types)
- Relieve symptoms of IBS (Irritable bowel syndrome)
- Make you feel better mentally (e.g. reduce stress and depression)
- Lower blood pressure
- Help improve certain allergies (more studies needed)
Also called gut flora, probiotics are essentially, the beneficial bacteria that live in your gut.
Are Probiotics And Prebiotics The Same?
No, they’re not! Probiotics refers to living bacteria that provide health benefits. While prebiotics refers to the fibre that humans cannot digest. But the fibre serves as food in the gut for these helpful bacteria.
We require a balanced amount of both pro and prebiotics to keep our gut healthy!
There are certain products that contain both pre and probiotics (*1).
Sources Of Probiotics
Your body doesn’t make these good bacteria naturally. But they can multiply on their own once you have a colony to start with.
Humans accumulate good bacteria from their birth, via baby milk powder, certain fermented food that you eat (e.g. yoghurt, miso, kimchi, kefir, etc). Or as supplements.
And there are probiotics drinks in Malaysia too, like Yakult and Vitagen.
However, you can lose the existing probiotics in your body too:
Taking a course of antibiotics kills bad bacteria as well as these good bacteria. And other factors like your environment, lifestyle and diet can affect the population in your gut.
How To Choose the Best Probiotic Supplement
1. What Do You Want To Improve?
There are so many strains of probiotics.
Like Bifidobacterium, Lactobacillus or Saccharomyces. And certain strains provide different health benefits.
For relieving constipation, check the label for these strain types:
- B. longum
- S. cerevisiae
- L. acidophilus
- L. rhamnosus
- L. plantarum
- B. animalis
- L. reuteri
Probiotics are becoming popular as an alternative treatment for chronic constipation, and according to studies, they do seem to have a positive relation in patients suffering from constipation.
The same kind of bacteria in yoghurt (Lactobacillus) can help you digest lactose if you are lactose intolerant! Another strain that helps with diarrhea is Saccharomyces boulardii (*2).
1.3. IBS Symptoms
Also found in dairy products (not all):
There are studies that show that saccharomyces boulardii lessens the severity/ occurrence of symptoms related to IBS. Other strains that help include B. coagulans or Bifidobacterium.
1.4. Brain Health
Both strains of Bifidobacterium and Lactobacillus have been shown to improve memory.
And help with depression, anxiety and even OCD (obsessive compulsive disorder). But this does not mean you should stop taking your medications. And rely fully on probiotics!
Did you know that taking multivitamins can boost your mood too?
1.5. Lose Weight
Probiotics containing Lactobacillus gasseri or Lactobacillus rhamnosus can aid in weight reduction according to some experts and studies.
While Bifidobacterium can lower BMI (Body Mass Index).
1.6. Heart Health
To lower your cholesterol levels, look for lactobacillus acidophilus, bifidobacterium longum or lactobacillus reuteri.
Taking the best fish oil Malaysia can help in this regard too!
1.7. Boost Immunity
Children will have less risk of getting a respiratory illness and eczema if their probiotics include the following strains:
- Bifidobacterium longum
- Lactobacillus crispatus
- Bifidobacterium bifidum
- Lactobacillus gasseri
- Lactobacillus GG
Probiotics can help to reduce the occurrence of UTI (Urinary tract infection) or vaginal yeast infection in women too.
You know what else improves the immune system? That’s right! The best vitamin C in Malaysia!
2. What Is The Best Dosage?
The amount that you ingest is important too:
CFU (Colony-forming units) is the measurement unit for probiotics. You need at least 1-2 billion CFU daily for the best results!
But there are some probiotics that perform better with a daily intake of 20 billion CFU instead!
So far, there are no downsides to taking an overdose of probiotics. Although at some point, you will not see further improvement/ benefit (*3).
Many parents are eager for their children to reap the benefits of probiotics as well! But before giving your child any probiotics, always consult a healthcare professional. The strains of bacteria and dosage required may differ for children!
3. Check The Label
It never hurts to do a little bit of digging to ensure that you’re getting a quality product:
Labels should state the:
- Type/ genus/ strain/ species of probiotic
- Use-by date
- Recommended dosage
- Company name and contact information
- Whether you need to store it in the fridge after opening it
- Who it is suitable for (children, pregnant women, breastfeeding women, those with medical conditions)
- Possible side effects (including serious adverse reactions) after commencing product
When in doubt, you should always seek advice from a health professional.
4. Choose Reliable Probiotic Brands
That means a long standing brand. Or one that’s certified by a third-party (e.g. ConsumerLab or the USP) for reliability.
And if you want to be certain, see your family doctor on what he or she recommends!
Most of the best probiotics in Malaysia target digestive issues. And they are frequently sold in powder or capsule form.
It’s ideal to go with the naturally processed (and/or sourced) probiotics though these are more expensive:
- OSN Active Guard Probiotic
- OHMS Probiotics Gold
- MegaLive FloraMax Pro
For better value for money, try certified local brands. Like the PureMed SymPlus Prebiotics & Probiotics Capsule!
Eventhough pro and prebiotics promise many health benefits:
There are possible side effects and allergic reactions associated with their use. Furthermore, certain products may not be fit for anyone who is pregnant, breastfeeding or on certain medication(s).
So consulting your doctor or pharmacist beforehand is the safest (and highly recommended) route to take!
- 11 Best Bird Nest Drinks In Malaysia 2022
- 11 Best Baby Diapers Malaysia 2022
- 13 Best Breast Pumps Malaysia 2022
- 15 Best Shampoos Malaysia 2022