The best hair tonic in Malaysia 2020 may be something you’ll want to include into your hair care arsenal!
Hair tonics don’t just give shine! Some will restore sebum balance through their moisturizing properties. To reduce hair fall and dandruff! Others still, have active ingredients that encourage hair growth!
See reviews on different hair tonics that you can try in Malaysia! Including hair growth tonics!
What Is A Hair Tonic?
Hair tonics have been around since the 1950’s.
A hair tonic or friction lotion is made of a combination of herbal ingredients and oil or alcohol to stimulate blood circulation on your scalp and thus, promote hair growth.
They can come in a variety of forms. Liquids (most common), pomade or gel.
You can supplement the best shampoo for hair loss with a hair tonic!
Not to be confused with hair serums. Which are for adding shine, reducing frizz and styling your hair!
13 Best Hair Tonic Malaysia 2020
1. YANAGIYA Hair Growth Tonic
An age-old Chinese-Japanese remedy for balding, the popular YANAGIYA’s Hair Growth Tonic has been on their shelves for over 60 years!
Your hair and scalp have to be completely dry before you apply the tonic with specially derived plant extracts.
And you need considerable discipline as application is 2 to 3 times a day!
- Volume: 240 ml
- Main Ingredients: Swertia Japonica, Ginseng, Sophora Flavescens and Rabdosia Japonica
- Benefits: Reduces hair loss and dandruff; Prevents oily & itchy scalp
- Price: ~RM68
2. Schwarzkopf Seborin Aktiv Hair Tonic
If it works for you, you may have to go through at least 3 bottles before you see any results!
You can use the Schwarzkopf Seborin Aktiv Hair Tonic daily after your shower. With 1-2 minutes’ massage to your scalp. Towel-dry your hair first!
- Volume: 300 ml
- Main Ingredients: Pro-Vitamin B5, Ginger Root Extract
- Benefits: Reduces hair thinning and hair loss
- Price: ~RM29.9
3. Schwarzkopf Seborin Haarwasser Anti-Dandruff Hair Tonic
Another one by German brand, Schwarzkopf:
The Seborin Haarwasser Anti-Dandruff Hair Tonic works if you have a sensitive scalp that’s prone to irritation. And it will help to clear your dandruff!
Just apply some on the problem areas after your shower!
- Volume: 400 ml
- Main Ingredients: PEG-40 Hydrogenated Castor Oil, Anti-dandruff Agent Octopirox
- Benefits: Clear Dandruff, Improves Hair Thinning, Reduces Hair Loss
- Price: ~RM39.9
4. Select Anti Aging Hair Growth Tonic
With daily use in combination with a scalp massage, this lightweight formula with exfoliating properties will reduce hair fall and stimulate hair growth.
You might see some baby hairs as early as two weeks!
- Volume: 120 ml
- Main Ingredients: Omega-6, Vitamin B5 Keratin
- Benefits: Improves Hair Thinning, Reduces Hair Loss and Oiliness
- Price: ~RM48
5. Neo Leaf Hair Tonic
If you have thin hair, the Neo Leaf Hair Tonic has a herbal smell and may increase the volume of your hair gradually by reducing hair fall!
It relieves itchy scalps prone to dandruff too!
- Volume: 240 ml
- Main Ingredients: Sodium Mono Nitro Guaiacol (MNG), Hexaplant Complex
- Benefits: Helps eliminate itching and dandruff on the scalp; moisturizes your scalp
- Price: ~RM84.9
6. Loreal Serioxyl Hair Tonic Denser Hair Serum
Despite its very watery appearance:
Loreal claims that in a clinical test they did for 79 people, most would experience increased hair volume in 3 months with daily use of their serum!
The tonic is packaged in a bottle with a top that serves as a pipette for precise application!
7. Previa Organic Vitis Vinifera Meristem Cell Energising Leave-in Lotion
Free of parabens, the Previa Organic Vitis Vinifera Meristem Cell Energising Leave-in Lotion has a host of beneficial natural ingredients. Like nettle and lavender essential oil.
With all that goodness (and the stem cell technology), your hair will grow! Slowly but nonetheless, surely.
- Volume: 100 ml
- Main Ingredients: Grape Stem Cells, Bio-Liquefied Eruca Sativa and Bio-Liquefied Green Walnut
- Benefits: Oiliness, Thinning, Volumizing, Hair Loss
- Price: ~RM82.9
8. Shiseido The Hair Care Adenovital Scalp Tonic
Shiseido’s very own The Hair Care Adenovital Scalp Tonic will condition your scalp. Keeping it adequately moisturized.
And hence, reducing itchiness and dandruff!
- Volume: 200 ml
- Main Ingredients: Adenosine (Shiseido’s Original Ingredient), AP Stimulator, Ononis Extract
- Benefits: Prevent hair fall, dandruff, and scalp itchiness
- Price: RM93
9. MIDORI Secret Energy Power Tonic
MIDORI Secret Energy Power Tonic offers to do a lot of things! Moisturize your scalp, strengthen your hair and reduce hair loss and dandruff. Among other things, too.
Regardless if your hair is dry or wet, you can spray on some of the tonic and rub it into your scalp with a 3-minute massage. Repeat daily.
- Volume: 120 ml
- Main Ingredients: Arnica Extract, Ivy Extract, Witch-Hazel Extract, Keratin Hydrolysate & Amino Acid
- Benefits: Damage/Split Ends, Reduce Hair Loss
- Price: ~RM83
10. Biosys Revitalising Hair Tonic
There’s a lot of favorable herbal extracts in the Biosys Revitalising Hair Tonic.
Together, they regulate sebum production from your scalp. And this will contribute to healthier and stronger hair!
- Volume: 120 ml
- Main Ingredients: Ginseng Extract, Common Nettle Extract, Yarrow Extract, Thyme Extract, Birch Extract, Rosemary Extract, Coltsfoot Extract, Ginger Oil
- Benefits: Reduces Oiliness, Dandruff, Hair Loss
- Price: RM128
11. Grigio Toretoman Parfait Hair Tonic Lotion
Grigio Toretoman Parfait Hair Tonic Lotion is another hair tonic that users rave about! Some see reduced hair fall and signs of hair growth after 3 months or even less!
For best results, leave the tonic in after massaging it into your sculpt twice a day.
- Volume: 180 ml
- Main Ingredients: Iodized Garlic Extract, Ginseng Extract and Swertia Extract
- Benefits: Reduces thinning of hair, hair Loss, dandruff and itchiness of scalp
- Price: RM135
12. Alkmene Nettle Hair Tonic
Made in Germany, the Alkmene Nettle Hair Tonic is vegan with no parabens or other unwanted stuff that can clog your hair follicles. Like silicones, mineral oil, etc.
Aside from making your head less itchy, your hair will feel stronger! And for some, it will assist in stimulating hair growth!
- Volume: 250 ml
- Main Ingredients: Nettle Extract and Provitamin B5
- Benefits: Soothes dry, irritated scalps; Strengthens hair.
- Price: RM101
13. AVEDA Volumizing Tonic
Great for fine hair that has a tendency to get greasy:
The AVEDA Volumizing Tonic gives lasting lift (and volume) when you apply it to the roots of your damp hair before blow-drying your hair!
PS: Are you using the best hair dryer for your hair type?
- Volume: 100 ml
- Main Ingredients: Lavandula Angustifolia (Lavender) Flower Extract, Echinacea Purpurea (Coneflower) Extract, Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Juice, Peg-40 Hydrogenated Castor Oil, Wheat Amino Acids
- Benefits: Adds shine and volume to your hair
- Price: RM125
Does Hair Tonic Really Work?
To some extent, yes.
While there isn’t any one magic ingredient that will restore volume to your hair:
Massaging your scalp is part of the tonic application process. And if you do this every day, this improves the blood circulation in your scalp.
Over time, you may notice some fine baby hairs growing!
So it might very well be the massage that does this, but hair tonics do have other benefits too!
By the way, if you take whey protein regularly:
There is one study that the type of whey protein may affect your testosterone levels. And subsequently, your hair.
If you suspect your frequent intake of whey protein to be the cause of your premature hair loss:
Switch to whey protein concentrate (WPC) over whey protein isolate (WPI).
Benefits Of Using Hair Tonic
Regular application of the tonic via a scalp massage keeps your scalp moisturized. Which can lead to less dandruff.
For serious dandruff outbreaks, you’ll need an anti-dandruff shampoo!
Plus, along with the moisture, are nutrients from the tonic. These may be necessary for your hair follicles to start and facilitate hair growth.
- Prevent split ends by helping hair to retain its natural oils
- As a styling agent to shape your hair
Common Herbs Found In Hair Tonic
You’ll see these particular ingredients in many hair tonics and organic shampoos. As well as oral supplements for hair growth:
- Saw Palmetto – Helps balance the production of hormones (e.g. DHT) that prevent hair growth.
- Lavender – Naturally has antibacterial properties. So your scalp will be free of fungus that may inhibit hair growth.
- Gingko Biloba – Aids blood circulation.
- Ginseng – Promotes better blood circulation too.
- Horsetail – Strengthens hair (and bones).
- Burdock – The essential fatty acids in this herb can treat psoriasis and other scalp irritations.
- Rosemary – Very moisturizing for your scalp. With the additional benefit of blocking excess DHT production.
- Stinging nettle – Dual benefit of limiting DHT production and has antibacterial properties.
- Aloe vera – Restores pH balance on your scalp.
- Peppermint – Calms scalp irritations. And stimulates hair follicles.
But men naturally have more testosterone (e.g. the hormone that is behind increased muscle mass, body hair, deeper voice, etc).
And that’s why DHT is usually the main culprit behind hair loss for men.
How? High levels of DHT cause the hair follicles to shrink. So they cannot support healthy hair growth.
The Best Way To Use Hair Tonic
For any hair tonic to be effective, you’ll have to use it on a daily basis.
Directions generally are the same for hair tonics:
- Pour a small amount into your hand
- Rub gently to warm up the tonic
- Segregate your hair and apply the tonic to your scalp with your fingers
- Follow this with a gentle scalp massage. Don’t use your nails!
And there is no need to rinse your hair (with or without shampoo) right afterwards!
Don’t despair over your thinner hair just yet! If you give them a shot, the best hair tonics in Malaysia may be able to revive your scalp and hair!
Keep positive and know that there’s no hair tonic that will miraculously transform your hair situation overnight. You’ll need at least 1-3 months to know if the hair tonic works for you or not!