BestBuyGet is reader-supported. We may earn commission from the links in this article at no extra cost to you. Learn more.
The best hair tonic in Malaysia 2022 may be something you’ll want to include into your hair care arsenal!
Hair tonics don’t just give shine! Some will restore sebum balance through their moisturizing properties. Or reduce hair fall and dandruff! Others still, have active ingredients that encourage hair growth!
See reviews on different hair tonics that you can try in Malaysia including hair growth tonics!
Table Of Contents:
- What Is A Hair Tonic?
- 11 Best Hair Tonics In Malaysia 2022
- Does Hair Tonic Really Work?
- Benefits Of Using Hair Tonic
- Common Herbs Found In Hair Tonic
- The Best Way To Use Hair Tonic
What Is A Hair Tonic?
Hair tonics have been around since the 1950’s.
A hair tonic or friction lotion is made of a combination of herbal ingredients and oil or alcohol to stimulate blood circulation on your scalp and thus, promote hair growth.
They can come in a variety of forms. Liquids (most common), pomade or gel.
You can supplement the best shampoo for hair loss with a hair tonic!
Hair tonics are not to be confused with hair serums. The latter are for adding shine, reducing frizz and styling your hair! Read more on the topic of hair serum vs hair tonic.
11 Best Hair Tonic Malaysia 2022
- Best Budget – Schwarzkopf Seborin Aktiv Hair Tonic
- Best Affordable Non Oily Formula For Hair Growth – Atomy Saengmodan Hair Tonic
- Best Natural – Previa Organic Vitis Vinifera Meristem Cell Energising Leave-In Lotion
- Best For Reducing Hairfall Without Drying Out Your Hair – SOME BY MI Cica Peptide Anti Hair Loss Derma Scalp Tonic
- Most Consistent – YANAGIYA Hair Growth Tonic
- Best Preventative (And Vegan) Option – Alkmene Nettle Hair Tonic
- Best For Hairfall Due To Dandruff – Schwarzkopf Seborin Aktiv Hair Tonic or Schwarzkopf Seborin Haarwasser Anti-Dandruff Hair Tonic
- Best For Very Fine Hair – AVEDA Volumizing Tonic
- Best Travel Friendly Hair Tonic (For Oily Scalps) – GRAFEN Root Booster Tonic
1. YANAGIYA Hair Growth Tonic
An age-old Chinese-Japanese remedy for balding, the popular YANAGIYA’s Hair Growth Tonic has been on their shelves for over 60 years!
This is the real deal – users are surprised to see reduced hair fall and eventual hair growth even with 1 bottle!
As a bonus, the YANAGIYA Hair Growth Tonic seems to have a positive effect on reducing dandruff too!
And therefore, the YANAGIYA Hair Growth Tonic is our top recommendation if you don’t have time to experiment with different hair tonics!
However, you need at least 1 week to see any improvements.
- Your hair and scalp have to be completely dry before you apply the tonic with specially derived plant extracts. And you need considerable discipline as application is 2 to 3 times a day!
- Be careful where you get this from, there are fake products (genuine products have a code printed in the inside of the bottle at the bottom, not the outside)
- Volume: 240 ml
- Main Ingredients: Swertia Japonica, Ginseng, Sophora Flavescens and Rabdosia Japonica
- Benefits: Reduces hair loss and dandruff; Prevents oily & itchy scalp
- Price: ~RM68
- The original formula has a herbal scent but it is not overbearing. There are now scentless and citrus versions of this product!
- Natural ingredients
- Leak-proof design of the lid
- Cooling effect
- Hair will feel wet after applying the tonic.
- The heavy glass bottle is not convenient for application – try a long cotton bud! Or a spray bottle!
2. Schwarzkopf Seborin Aktiv Hair Tonic
Apply Schwarzkopf Seborin Aktiv Hair Tonic daily on towel-dried hair with 1-2 minutes’ of scalp massage. It works by reducing flakes and encouraging blood circulation (ginger)!
Users report less hair fall. And in some instances, hair growth! The smell is strong but agreeable to many if you like happen to like the smell of men’s cologne.
Try this if your hair fall is related to an itchy scalp. But even if the Schwarzkopf Seborin Aktiv Hair Tonic works for you, you may have to go through at least 3 bottles before you see any results!
- Volume: 300 ml
- Main Ingredients: Pro-Vitamin B5, Ginger Root Extract
- Benefits: Reduces hair thinning and hair loss
- Price: ~RM29.9
- Very affordable
- Cooling effect
- Seems to reduce dandruff too
- Pleasant smell (subjective, of course!)
- Quite a strong scent
3. Schwarzkopf Seborin Haarwasser Anti-Dandruff Hair Tonic
Best For Hairfall Due To Dandruff
What’s the difference between the Schwarzkopf Seborin Haarwasser Anti-Dandruff Hair Tonic and Schwarzkopf Seborin Aktiv Hair Tonic?
Both clear your dandruff with the active ingredient, octopirox!
But this formula (yellow bottle) replaces ginger with citronellol to keep your scalp healthy *(1). And indeed, users see their dandruff clearing within a few days of use. With reduction in hair fall too!
So if the Schwarzkopf Seborin Aktiv Hair Tonic is not effective for eliminating your dandruff, you can try the Schwarzkopf Seborin Haarwasser Anti-Dandruff Hair Tonic as an alternative!
- Volume: 400 ml
- Main Ingredients: PEG-40 Hydrogenated Castor Oil, Anti-dandruff Agent Octopirox
- Benefits: Clear Dandruff, Improves Hair Thinning, Reduces Hair Loss
- Price: ~RM39.9
- One bottle lasts long
- Fresh feeling
- Pleasant smell
- Less hair fall
- Need regular and constant use
4. Select Anti Aging Hair Growth Tonic
With daily use in combination with a scalp massage, the lightweight formula of the Select Anti Aging Hair Growth Tonic with denatured alcohol and exfoliating properties will reduce hair fall and stimulate hair growth!
You might see some baby hairs as early as two weeks or a month! But for other users, the results can take months and several bottles (maybe 4 bottles)!
Note: Has a masculine fragrance (peppermint and rosemary) that fades.
The Select Anti Aging Hair Growth Tonic is meant for oily scalps that suffer from dandruff and hair fall.
And hence, the Select Anti Aging Hair Growth Tonic is another alternative if you don’t like the smell of the Schwarzkopf Seborin products above!
It also doesn’t feel as oily as other hair tonics.
- Volume: 120 ml
- Main Ingredients: Omega-6, Vitamin B5 Keratin
- Benefits: Improves Hair Thinning, Reduces Hair Loss and Oiliness
- Price: ~RM48
- Cooling effect
- Can apply on wet or dry hair
- Oil control lasts for a day or 2
- Not oily
- Already in a spray bottle
- Reduced hair fall
- Acceptable smell (a few users dislike the smell)
- Free from parabens
- Cheap plastic dispenser bottle is not 100% leak proof
5. Neo Leaf Hair Tonic
If you have thin hair, the Neo Leaf Hair Tonic may increase the volume of your hair gradually by reducing hair fall! It relieves itchy scalps (with salicylic acid) prone to dandruff too!
Not that it matters very much, but the bottle of this hair tonic is beautiful.
The Neo Leaf Hair Tonic smells like what your grandfather’s cologne might have smelled like. But more importantly, users do notice less hair fall.
Others don’t see any improvement at all.
Note: Use it after a bath. Once or twice a day with a 3-minute massage.
So if the masculine smell does not offend you, you can try the Neo Leaf Hair Tonic and see if it helps with reducing hair fall and relieving itch!
- Volume: 240 ml
- Main Ingredients: Sodium Mono Nitro Guaiacol (MNG), Hexaplant Complex
- Benefits: Helps eliminate itching and dandruff on the scalp; moisturizes your scalp
- Price: ~RM84.9
- Tingling sensation that feels nice on the scalp
- Not greasy
- Some users see hair growth after 1 bottle
- Cooling effect lasts
- Smells nice to some people
- Less hair fall and dandruff
- Doesn’t appear to stimulate hair growth for most users
- Strong smell akin to cologne
- Can be drying on your hair
6. Loreal Serioxyl Hair Tonic Denser Hair Serum
Despite its very watery appearance:
Loreal claims that in a clinical test they did for 79 people, most experience increased hair volume in 3 months with daily use of their serum!
And based on reviews of the Loreal Serioxyl Hair Tonic Denser Hair Serum, it does reduce hair fall with the occasional user reporting some baby hair growing!
The Loreal Serioxyl Hair Tonic Denser Hair Serum is worth a shot for the price!
Moreover, because of the packaging, it’s very convenient to apply! And the Loreal Serioxyl Hair Tonic Denser Hair Serum is also great if you prefer a feminine scent that is not overpowering!
- Volume: 90 ml
- Main Ingredients: Stenoxydine and Resvératrol
- Benefits: Ideal for thinning hair by promoting hair re-growth
- Price: ~RM100
- Subtle floral scent
- Promotes hair growth
- Not oily or greasy
- The tonic is packaged conveniently in a bottle with a top that serves as a pipette for precise application!
- May irritate sensitive scalps
7. Previa Organic Vitis Vinifera Meristem Cell Energising Leave-in Lotion
Free of parabens, the Previa Organic Vitis Vinifera Meristem Cell Energising Leave-in Lotion has a host of beneficial natural ingredients. Like nettle and lavender essential oil.
There are a few things that users like about this product! For one, it does reduce hair fall. Secondly, it smells good (strongly of herbs). And it’s refreshing on the scalp!
If you fancy going organic and natural, then the Previa Organic Vitis Vinifera Meristem Cell Energising Leave-in Lotion is a reliable option. Just be prepared to fork out a bit more on this hair tonic as it is one of the more pricey hair tonics around!
Note: Daily use with 3-minute scalp massage.
- Volume: 100 ml
- Main Ingredients: Grape Stem Cells, Bio-Liquefied Eruca Sativa and Bio-Liquefied Green Walnut
- Benefits: Oiliness, Thinning, Volumizing, Hair Loss
- Price: ~RM82.9
- Possible to apply on dry or wet hair
- Reduces hair fall
- Nice fragrance (Subjective) – there is lavender essential oil
- Free from parabens, silicones, mineral oil, etc
- With piroctone olamine for treating dandruff
- May need up to 2-3 bottles to see results (e.g. hair growth and less hairfall)
8. SOME BY MI Cica Peptide Anti Hair Loss Derma Scalp Tonic
Best For Reducing Hairfall Without Drying Out Your Hair
Conveniently in a spray bottle of its own, SOME BY MI Cica Peptide Anti Hair Loss Derma Scalp Tonic dispenses just the right amount of product each time!
After a month, you may notice fine baby hairs sprouting! Some see less hair fall within a week! At the same time, the SOME BY MI Cica Peptide Anti Hair Loss Derma Scalp Tonic keeps grease at bay too without drying out your hair!
Therefore, those that are particular with tonics that dry out their hair or have processed or damaged hair, can pick up the SOME BY MI Cica Peptide Anti Hair Loss Derma Scalp Tonic.
Remember to do a test patch if you have sensitive skin!
Note: You may want to pick up the whole set with shampoo and treatment too
- Volume: 150ml
- Main Ingredients: Water, Alcohol (Denatured), Menthol, Tromethamine, Salicylic Acid, Panthenol, Biotin, Butylene Glycol, Peppermint Leaf Extract, Spearmint Extract, Mentha Rotundifolia Leaf Extract, Soybean Seed Extract, Nigella Sativa Seed Extract, Rice Extract, Black Currant Fruit Extract, etc
- Benefits: Alleviate hair loss
- Price: ~RM40
- Very affordable
- Works well with the with the Derma Scalp treatment from the same brand
- Calms itch
- Smells nice
- Convenient packaging
- Cooling sensation
- Contains fragrance, salicylic acid and alcohol (not for sensitive scalps)
- Smell is quite strong – but fades
- A bit oily
9. Atomy Saengmodan Hair Tonic
Best Affordable Non Oily Formula For Hair Growth
If you’re searching specifically for a non-greasy hair tonic with a watery consistency, try the Atomy Saengmodan Hair Tonic.
The Atomy Saengmodan Hair Tonic is about the same price as the SOME BY MI Cica Peptide Anti Hair Loss Derma Scalp Tonic, but less oily.
This herbal hair tonic from Korea (it has a strong smell similar to Chinese herbs or ginseng) has salicylic acid and licorice root extract. There are studies that show that licorice root can increase hair growth activity.
Although, you might have to go through several bottles of this before you see any results. For some, the baby hair starts growing as early as 2 to 3 weeks.
What we don’t like about this hair tonic is that the formula also has alcohol (and menthol) which explains the slight cooling sensation upon application. But can be drying on your scalp and hair.
In any case, the Atomy Saengmodan Hair Tonic is affordable and for that reason, it’s one of the best hair tonics you can get in Malaysia if you don’t mind that the formula has alcohol in it.
- Volume: 200 ml
- Main Ingredients: Salicylic acid, Alcohol, Morus Alba Root Extract, Licorice Root Extract, Menthol, Panthenol
- Benefits: Encourages Hair Growth
- Price: ~RM50
- Does encourage hair growth
- Bottle has a well-functioning pump dispenser
- Not greasy
- Smells pleasant
- Alcohol is one of the main ingredients (I.e. is drying on hair and scalp)
- Strong herbal smell might not be agreeable to everyone
10. Alkmene Nettle Hair Tonic
Best Preventative (And Vegan) Option
Made in Germany, the Alkmene Nettle Hair Tonic is vegan with no parabens or other unwanted stuff that can clog your hair follicles. Like silicones, mineral oil, etc.
Aside from making your head less itchy, your hair will feel stronger! And for a handful of users, the Alkmene Nettle Hair Tonic does assist in stimulating hair growth as well!
Thus, instead of the Previa Organic Vitis Vinifera Meristem Cell Energising Leave-in Lotion, you can choose the Alkmene Nettle Hair Tonic as a natural solution for a hair tonic against dandruff.
Additionally, it is for long term use to strengthen hair. But as far as hair growth goes, reviews are not too encouraging!
- Volume: 250 ml
- Main Ingredients: Nettle Extract and Provitamin B5
- Benefits: Soothes dry, irritated scalps; Strengthens hair.
- Price: ~RM100
- Dries quickly
- Calms an itchy scalp, reduces dandruff
- Does not make your roots look greasy
- Hair looks healthier
- Refreshing on the scalp
- Sharp smell (Nettle) that doesn’t appeal to some
- Seems to have additional coloring
PS: Are you using the best hair dryer for your hair type?
11. AVEDA Volumizing Tonic
Best For Very Fine Hair
The AVEDA Volumizing Tonic gives lasting lift (and volume) when you apply it to the roots of your damp hair before blow-drying!
Users who want volume from roots to tips are not disappointed with the AVEDA Volumizing tonic! Hair feels softer too!
On the whole, the AVEDA Volumizing tonic is great for fine hair that has a tendency to get greasy. Just don’t use too much or it can be drying and leave a sticky feel to your hair.
- Volume: 100 ml
- Main Ingredients: Lavandula Angustifolia (Lavender) Flower Extract, Echinacea Purpurea (Coneflower) Extract, Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Juice, Peg-40 Hydrogenated Castor Oil, Wheat Amino Acids
- Benefits: Adds shine and volume to your hair
- Price: ~RM125
- Will not weigh hair down
- Volume lasts for up to 2 days
- Subtle herbal smell that is light
- In a spray bottle
- Doesn’t dry sticky, stiff or crunchy on your hair
- Don’t have to use a lot
- Bottle can leak
Bonus: GRAFEN Root Booster Tonic
Best Travel Friendly Hair Tonic (For Oily Scalps)
Those who travel a lot on and would like to bring along their hair tonic, can rely on the GRAFEN Root Booster Tonic.
Straight from Korea, the GRAFEN Root Booster Tonic is packaged in a convenient pump bottle. The bottle is small enough to travel with!
Like many other hair tonics in this list, it creates a cooling sensation on the scalp. However, some find the minty-smelling perfume quite strong (and long-lasting) although it is not totally unpleasant.
After 2 weeks or up to 2 months, users notice less hair fall. And thicker hair on the second bottle.
The shampoo from the same range is highly rated too! Both products help with oil control and reducing hair fall, according to reviews!
If you use the tonic once a day, one bottle lasts for 3 months!
- Volume: 160 ml
- Main Ingredients: Hydrolyzed Keratin, Amino Acid Complex, Niacinamide, Camellia Japonica Leaf Extract, Lavender Extract, Basil Leaf Extract, Rosemary Extract
- Benefits: Improves Hair Thinning, Reduces Hair Loss
- Price: ~RM67
- Application from pump is even
- Refreshes the scalp
- Suitable for oily scalps
- Smells nice
- Lightweight, does not feel sticky
- There is a lock for the pump if you want to travel with it
- Without artificial coloring or fragrance
- Can be drying for hair
- Some people find the smell strong
- Effects can take longer than 2 weeks to show
Does Hair Tonic Really Work?
To some extent, yes.
While there isn’t any one magic ingredient that will restore volume to your hair:
Massaging your scalp is part of the tonic application process. And if you do this every day, this improves the blood circulation in your scalp. Over time, you may notice some fine baby hairs growing!
So it might very well be the massage that does this, but hair tonics do have other benefits too!
By the way, if you take whey protein regularly:
There is one study that shows that the type of whey protein may affect your testosterone levels. And subsequently, your hair.
If you suspect your frequent intake of whey protein to be the cause of your premature hair loss:
Switch to whey protein concentrate (WPC) over whey protein isolate (WPI).
Benefits Of Using Hair Tonic
Regular application of a hair tonic via a scalp massage keeps your scalp moisturized. Which can lead to less dandruff.
But for serious dandruff outbreaks, you’ll need an anti-dandruff shampoo!
Plus, along with the moisture, are nutrients from the tonic. These may be necessary for your hair follicles to start and facilitate hair growth.
Other benefits of a hair tonic:
- To prevent split ends by helping hair to retain its natural oils
- As a styling agent to shape your hair
Common Herbs Found In Hair Tonic
You’ll see these particular ingredients (along with hair loss vitamins) in many hair tonics and organic shampoos. And they can also be in oral supplements for hair growth:
- Saw Palmetto – Helps balance the production of hormones (e.g. DHT) that prevent hair growth.
- Lavender – Naturally has antibacterial properties. So your scalp will be free of fungus that may inhibit hair growth.
- Gingko Biloba – Aids blood circulation.
- Ginseng – Promotes better blood circulation too.
- Horsetail – Strengthens hair (and bones).
- Burdock – The essential fatty acids in this herb can treat psoriasis and other scalp irritations.
- Rosemary – Very moisturizing for your scalp. With the additional benefit of blocking excess DHT production.
- Stinging nettle – Dual benefit of limiting DHT production and has antibacterial properties.
- Aloe vera – Restores pH balance on your scalp.
- Peppermint – Calms scalp irritations. And stimulates hair follicles.
Wait, what is DHT?
Dihydrotestosterone (DHT) is a by-product of testosterone which is present in men and women. But men naturally have more testosterone (e.g. the hormone that is behind increased muscle mass, body hair, deeper voice, etc). And that’s why DHT is usually the main culprit behind hair loss for men. How? High levels of DHT cause the hair follicles to shrink. So they cannot support healthy hair growth.
The Best Way To Use Hair Tonic
For any hair tonic to be effective, you’ll have to use it on a daily basis.
Directions generally are the same for hair tonics:
- Pour a small amount into your hand
- Rub gently to warm up the tonic
- Segregate your hair and apply the tonic to your scalp with your fingers
- Follow this with a gentle scalp massage. Don’t use your nails!
And there is no need to rinse your hair (with or without shampoo) right afterwards!
Tip: If you don’t want to use your hands and fingers, transfer some of the tonic to a small spray bottle (that generates mist) instead!
Don’t despair over your thinner hair just yet! If you give them a shot, the best hair tonics in Malaysia may be able to revive your scalp and hair!
Keep positive and know that there’s no hair tonic that will miraculously transform your hair situation overnight!
- 15 Best Formula Milk Malaysia 2022
- 13 Best Whitening Creams Malaysia 2022
- 11 Best Sunscreens Malaysia 2022
- 13 Best Air Purifiers Malaysia 2022