The best hair tonic in Malaysia 2021 may be something you’ll want to include into your hair care arsenal!
Hair tonics don’t just give shine! Some will restore sebum balance through their moisturizing properties. Or reduce hair fall and dandruff! Others still, have active ingredients that encourage hair growth!
See reviews on different hair tonics that you can try in Malaysia! Including hair growth tonics!
What Is A Hair Tonic?
Hair tonics have been around since the 1950’s.
A hair tonic or friction lotion is made of a combination of herbal ingredients and oil or alcohol to stimulate blood circulation on your scalp and thus, promote hair growth.
They can come in a variety of forms. Liquids (most common), pomade or gel.
You can supplement the best shampoo for hair loss with a hair tonic!
Not to be confused with hair serums. Which are for adding shine, reducing frizz and styling your hair!
13 Best Hair Tonic Malaysia 2021
- Best Budget – Schwarzkopf Seborin Aktiv Hair Tonic
- Best Natural – Previa Organic Vitis Vinifera Meristem Cell Energising Leave-In Lotion
- Best For Reducing Hairfall Without Drying Out Your Hair – SOME BY MI Cica Peptide Anti Hair Loss Derma Scalp Tonic
- Most Consistent – YANAGIYA Hair Growth Tonic
- Best For Oily And Itchy Scalps – Biosys Revitalising Hair Tonic
- Best Preventative (And Vegan) Option – Alkmene Nettle Hair Tonic
- Best For Hairfall Due To Dandruff – Schwarzkopf Seborin Aktiv Hair Tonic or Schwarzkopf Seborin Haarwasser Anti-Dandruff Hair Tonic
- Best For Very Fine Hair – AVEDA Volumizing Tonic
1. YANAGIYA Hair Growth Tonic
An age-old Chinese-Japanese remedy for balding, the popular YANAGIYA’s Hair Growth Tonic has been on their shelves for over 60 years!
This is the real deal – users are surprised to see reduced hair fall and eventual hair growth even with 1 bottle! As a bonus, it seems to have a positive effect on reducing dandruff too!
Our top recommendation if you don’t have time to experiment with different hair tonics! However, you need at least 1 week to see any improvements. Though 1 user saw hair growth within 10 days!
- Your hair and scalp have to be completely drybefore you apply the tonic with specially derived plant extracts. And you need considerable discipline as application is 2 to 3 times a day!
- Be careful where you get this from, there are fake products (genuine products have a code printed in the inside of the bottle at the bottom, not the outside)
- Volume: 240 ml
- Main Ingredients: Swertia Japonica, Ginseng, Sophora Flavescens and Rabdosia Japonica
- Benefits: Reduces hair loss and dandruff; Prevents oily & itchy scalp
- Price: ~RM68
2. Schwarzkopf Seborin Aktiv Hair Tonic
Apply Schwarzkopf Seborin Aktiv Hair Tonic daily on towel-dried hair with 1-2 minutes’ of scalp massage. It works by reducing flakes and encouraging blood circulation (ginger)!
Users report less hair fall. And in some instances, hair growth! The smell is strong but agreeable to many if you like men’s cologne.
Try this if your hair fall is related to an itchy scalp. If it works for you, you may have to go through at least 3 bottles before you see any results!
- Volume: 300 ml
- Main Ingredients: Pro-Vitamin B5, Ginger Root Extract
- Benefits: Reduces hair thinning and hair loss
- Price: ~RM29.9
3. Schwarzkopf Seborin Haarwasser Anti-Dandruff Hair Tonic
What’s the difference between the Schwarzkopf Seborin Haarwasser Anti-Dandruff Hair Tonic and Schwarzkopf Seborin Aktiv Hair Tonic? Both clear your dandruff with the active ingredient, octopirox!
But this formula (yellow bottle) replaces ginger with citronellol to keep your scalp healthy (Source). And indeed, users see their dandruff clearing within a few days of use. With reduction in hair fall too!
If the Schwarzkopf Seborin Aktiv Hair Tonic is not effective for eliminating your dandruff, you can try this hair tonic as an alternative!
- Volume: 400 ml
- Main Ingredients: PEG-40 Hydrogenated Castor Oil, Anti-dandruff Agent Octopirox
- Benefits: Clear Dandruff, Improves Hair Thinning, Reduces Hair Loss
- Price: ~RM39.9
4. Select Anti Aging Hair Growth Tonic
With daily use in combination with a scalp massage, this lightweight formula with denatured alcohol and exfoliating properties will reduce hair fall and stimulate hair growth!
You might see some baby hairs as early as two weeks or a month! But for other users, the results can take months and several bottles (maybe 4 bottles)!
Meant for oily scalps that suffer from dandruff and hair fall. An alternative if you don’t like the smell of the Schwarzkopf Seborin products above!
- Volume: 120 ml
- Main Ingredients: Omega-6, Vitamin B5 Keratin
- Benefits: Improves Hair Thinning, Reduces Hair Loss and Oiliness
- Price: ~RM48
5. Neo Leaf Hair Tonic
If you have thin hair, the Neo Leaf Hair Tonic may increase the volume of your hair gradually by reducing hair fall! It relieves itchy scalps (with salicylic acid) prone to dandruff too!
What do users say about this hair tonic? Well firstly, the bottle is beautiful. And some users remark that it smells like their grandfather’s cologne! More importantly, users notice less hair fall.
Not our top pick if you’re looking for something that stimulates hair growth. But if the smell does not offend you, it can help with reducing hair fall and relieving itch!
- Volume: 240 ml
- Main Ingredients: Sodium Mono Nitro Guaiacol (MNG), Hexaplant Complex
- Benefits: Helps eliminate itching and dandruff on the scalp; moisturizes your scalp
- Price: ~RM84.9
6. Loreal Serioxyl Hair Tonic Denser Hair Serum
Despite its very watery appearance:
Loreal claims that in a clinical test they did for 79 people, most would experience increased hair volume in 3 months with daily use of their serum!
Based on reviews, it does reduce hair fall. And the occasional user reports seeing some baby hair growing!
Worth a shot for the price! And because of the packaging, it’s very convenient to apply! Also great if you prefer a feminine scent that is not overpowering!
7. Previa Organic Vitis Vinifera Meristem Cell Energising Leave-in Lotion
Free of parabens, the Previa Organic Vitis Vinifera Meristem Cell Energising Leave-in Lotion has a host of beneficial natural ingredients. Like nettle and lavender essential oil.
There are a few things that users like about this product! For one, it does reduce hair fall. Secondly, it smells good (strongly of herbs). And it’s refreshing on the scalp!
If you fancy going organic and natural, this is a reliable option. Just be prepared to fork out on this hair tonic!
- Volume: 100 ml
- Main Ingredients: Grape Stem Cells, Bio-Liquefied Eruca Sativa and Bio-Liquefied Green Walnut
- Benefits: Oiliness, Thinning, Volumizing, Hair Loss
- Price: ~RM82.9
8. SOME BY MI Cica Peptide Anti Hair Loss Derma Scalp Tonic
Conveniently in a spray bottle of its own, SOME BY MI Cica Peptide Anti Hair Loss Derma Scalp Tonic dispenses just the right amount of product each time!
After a month, you may notice fine baby hairs sprouting! Some users comment that they can see less hair fall within a week! It keeps grease at bay too! Without drying out your hair!
For those that are particular with tonics that dry out their hair! Of if you have processed or damaged hair. Remember to do a test patch if you have sensitive skin!
- Volume: 150ml
- Main Ingredients: Water, Alcohol (Denatured), Menthol, Tromethamine, Salicylic Acid, Panthenol, Biotin, Butylene Glycol, Peppermint Leaf Extract, Spearmint Extract, Mentha Rotundifolia Leaf Extract, Soybean Seed Extract, Nigella Sativa Seed Extract, Rice Extract, Black Currant Fruit Extract, etc
- Benefits: Alleviate hair loss
- Price: ~RM40
9. MIDORI Secret Energy Power Tonic
MIDORI Secret Energy Power Tonic offers to do a lot of things! Moisturize your scalp, strengthen your hair and reduce hair loss and dandruff. Among other things, too!
As for user experience, it smells nice and hair fall is visibly less. Together with the shampoo in the same range, dandruff appears less too!
Not bad if you can get it in a set together with the shampoo. Some users swear by it, even using it for years! You can try it for at least 3 weeks before deciding if it doesn’t work for you!
- Volume: 120 ml
- Main Ingredients: Arnica Extract, Ivy Extract, Witch-Hazel Extract, Keratin Hydrolysate & Amino Acid
- Benefits: Damage/Split Ends, Reduce Hair Loss
- Price: ~RM80
10. Biosys Revitalising Hair Tonic
There’re a lot of favorable herbal extracts in the Biosys Revitalising Hair Tonic. They regulate sebum production from your scalp. Contributing to healthier and stronger hair!
It’s actually effective at controlling excess grease from your scalp according to multiple reviews! Besides feeling very cool on your scalp throughout the day! There is less hair fall too.
Oily and itchy scalps will get some welcome relief from this hair tonic that is popular with Singaporeans! Results with hair fall and hair growth vary and can take considerable time to show.
- Volume: 120 ml
- Main Ingredients: Ginseng Extract, Common Nettle Extract, Yarrow Extract, Thyme Extract, Birch Extract, Rosemary Extract, Coltsfoot Extract, Ginger Oil
- Benefits: Reduces Oiliness, Dandruff, Hair Loss
- Price: ~RM128
11. Grigio Toretoman Parfait Hair Tonic Lotion
Did you know that garlic is naturally anti-microbial? This is the basis behind this hair tonic that uses garlic extract. To eliminate bacteria that can damage your scalp and prevent hair growth!
And it happens that Grigio Toretoman Parfait Hair Tonic Lotion is another hair tonic that users rave about! Some see reduced hair fall and signs of hair growth after 3 months or even less!
This hair tonic has a loyal following for a reason. Even if results can take months to show!
- This is the updated version of the Toretoman E which is made to reduce hair fall
- For best results, leave the tonic inafter massaging it into your sculpt twice a day.
- Volume: 180 ml
- Main Ingredients: Iodized Garlic Extract, Ginseng Extract and Swertia Extract
- Benefits: Reduces thinning of hair, hair Loss, dandruff and itchiness of scalp
- Price: ~RM135
12. Alkmene Nettle Hair Tonic
Made in Germany, the Alkmene Nettle Hair Tonic is vegan with no parabens or other unwanted stuff that can clog your hair follicles. Like silicones, mineral oil, etc.
Aside from making your head less itchy, your hair will feel stronger! And for a handful of users, it does assist in stimulating hair growth as well!
A natural alternative for a hair tonic against dandruff. And for long term use to strengthen hair. But as far as hair growth goes, reviews are not too encouraging!
- Volume: 250 ml
- Main Ingredients: Nettle Extract and Provitamin B5
- Benefits: Soothes dry, irritated scalps; Strengthens hair.
- Price: ~RM100
13. AVEDA Volumizing Tonic
The AVEDA Volumizing Tonic gives lasting lift (and volume) when you apply it to the roots of your damp hair before blow-drying!
PS: Are you using the best hair dryer for your hair type?
Users who want volume from roots to tips are not disappointed with the AVEDA Volumizing tonic! Hair feels softer too!
Great for fine hair that has a tendency to get greasy. Just don’t use too much or it can be drying and leave a sticky feel to your hair.
- Volume: 100 ml
- Main Ingredients: Lavandula Angustifolia (Lavender) Flower Extract, Echinacea Purpurea (Coneflower) Extract, Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Juice, Peg-40 Hydrogenated Castor Oil, Wheat Amino Acids
- Benefits: Adds shine and volume to your hair
- Price: ~RM125
Does Hair Tonic Really Work?
To some extent, yes.
While there isn’t any one magic ingredient that will restore volume to your hair:
Massaging your scalp is part of the tonic application process. And if you do this every day, this improves the blood circulation in your scalp. Over time, you may notice some fine baby hairs growing!
Over time, you may notice some fine baby hairs growing!
So it might very well be the massage that does this, but hair tonics do have other benefits too!
By the way, if you take whey protein regularly:
There is one study that shows that the type of whey protein may affect your testosterone levels. And subsequently, your hair.
If you suspect your frequent intake of whey protein to be the cause of your premature hair loss:
Switch to whey protein concentrate (WPC) over whey protein isolate (WPI).
Benefits Of Using Hair Tonic
Regular application of the tonic via a scalp massage keeps your scalp moisturized. Which can lead to less dandruff.
For serious dandruff outbreaks, you’ll need an anti-dandruff shampoo!
Plus, along with the moisture, are nutrients from the tonic. These may be necessary for your hair follicles to start and facilitate hair growth.
- To prevent split ends by helping hair to retain its natural oils
- As a styling agent to shape your hair
Common Herbs Found In Hair Tonic
- Saw Palmetto – Helps balance the production of hormones (e.g. DHT) that prevent hair growth.
- Lavender – Naturally has antibacterial properties. So your scalp will be free of fungus that may inhibit hair growth.
- Gingko Biloba – Aids blood circulation.
- Ginseng – Promotes better blood circulation too.
- Horsetail – Strengthens hair (and bones).
- Burdock – The essential fatty acids in this herb can treat psoriasis and other scalp irritations.
- Rosemary – Very moisturizing for your scalp. With the additional benefit of blocking excess DHT production.
- Stinging nettle – Dual benefit of limiting DHT production and has antibacterial properties.
- Aloe vera – Restores pH balance on your scalp.
- Peppermint – Calms scalp irritations. And stimulates hair follicles.
But men naturally have more testosterone (e.g. the hormone that is behind increased muscle mass, body hair, deeper voice, etc).
And that’s why DHT is usually the main culprit behind hair loss for men.
How? High levels of DHT cause the hair follicles to shrink. So they cannot support healthy hair growth.
The Best Way To Use Hair Tonic
For any hair tonic to be effective, you’ll have to use it on a daily basis.
Directions generally are the same for hair tonics:
- Pour a small amount into your hand
- Rub gently to warm up the tonic
- Segregate your hair and apply the tonic to your scalp with your fingers
- Follow this with a gentle scalp massage. Don’t use your nails!
And there is no need to rinse your hair (with or without shampoo) right afterwards!
Don’t despair over your thinner hair just yet! If you give them a shot, the best hair tonics in Malaysia may be able to revive your scalp and hair!
Keep positive and know that there’s no hair tonic that will miraculously transform your hair situation overnight!