We’re spoiled for choice when it comes to atas chocolate brands here in Malaysia. From Lindt to Valrhona, to the Royce and Godiva outlets we see in every shopping mall.
But did you know Malaysia has its very own local artisan chocolate brands that are just as good. Or if we may argue – even better.
Here are some of the best Malaysian chocolatiers, crafting everything from decadent bonbons to rich chocolate truffles infused with a local touch!
1. Chocolate Concierge
Frequent visitors to Bangsar Shopping Centre should be pretty familiar with Chocolate Concierge. A humble little chocolate shop tucked away on the 1st floor of Bangsar mall.
Though a small store on the surface, the team behind Chocolate Concierge have a fierce dedication towards creating authentic Malaysian single-origin chocolates.
From the cocoa beans that they grow themselves right here in Malaysia. To the local flavours that they infuse into their chocolates.
We personally love their dedication towards zero waste! And appreciate their transparency regarding their cacao bean sources (i.e. traceability)!
Among their collection of sweet treats are classic chocolate bars, colourful brittles and barks, sugar-free bonbons, and chocolates filled with unique local flavours. Like Onde Onde, Teh Tarik and even Sweet Laksa!
Chocolate purists will also love their artisanal bars of Malaysian single-origin chocolates. Available in varying strengths, ranging from Semai 50% to Cheroh 70%. And even a pure Semai 100% dark chocolate for the hardcore cocoa lovers!
Not satisfied with their selection?
Not to worry! Because all their chocolates are hand-crafted in small batches, they’ll even create custom flavours of chocolate bars for you, so long as you order more than one. Semai 72% with a hint of durian, anyone?
- Seasonal Bonbons with soft fillings
- Sugar-Free Bonbons
- Hand-crafted Chocolate Bars
- Brittles and Barks
How to buy:
- Visit their pilot store on the 1st level of Bangsar Shopping Centre to browse their selection.
- Send them an email through their website or at [email protected] to order a delivery. Ning and his team will make the proper arrangements to ensure you receive your chocolates in the best possible condition.
2. Love 18°C Chocolate
If you’re a fan of the delicious nama chocolates made by the famous Japanese chocolate brand Royce, then Love18 will win your heart! – pun intended.
A small family-owned business with a big appetite for creating premium artisanal chocolates made with only the finest ingredients.
“Hazelnut from Italy, Vanilla from Madagascar, and cream from France” are some of the ingredients they source from around the world. And not to mention their strict policy of using only the best French, Swiss and Belgian chocolates!
Love18’s best-sellers are their First Love Series. A wide (nearly a dozen by our count!) assortment of chocolate ganache available in plain and flavoured. Some of their unique flavours include Orange Dark, Musang King Durian Dark and Willy Sour Plum Lime.
Besides that, their seasonal bonbons made especially for occasions holidays are a treat you can’t miss out on!
Keep an eye out for their stores and over 10 walk-in kiosks located across Malaysia.
If their 100% handmade chocolates aren’t enough of a reason to give them a try, then their flavours of the month might be. It’s a different flavour every month.
- First Love Series (chocolate ganache)
- Flavour Of The Month
- Seasonal Bonbons
How to buy:
- Visit their official stores in Puchong, Mid Valley or Penang, or drop by any of their walk-in kiosks.
- Order from their full range of chocolate on their website. They currently deliver to most parts of Peninsular Malaysia. Check their coverage here.
3. Harriston Chocolatier
Founded back in 2005, the Harriston company is one of the oldest and largest homegrown chocolate brands in Malaysia.
What started as two small chocolate boutiques in Penang and Kuala Lumpur, has now grown to 4 outlets across Malaysia.
Then in 2018, they decided to open Harriston Chocolatiers. A premium branch of the Harriston company specialising in crafting exquisite artisanal chocolates.
Harriston may be new in the premium chocolate market. But their years of experience (as a chocolate maker) has allowed them to create a wide selection of hand-crafted chocolates.
Their chocolate bars are available in many different varieties. From Malaysian single-origin chocolates to more unique flavour combinations like Milk Curry and Dark Ginger.
For something a little more colourful, try their Pralines! They come in playful flavours like Samurai, Da Vinci and Cha that’s sure to have you craving for more!
If there’s one thing you should try from Harriston:
It’s their selection of Ruby Chocolates!
Dubbed the 4th chocolate after Dark, Milk and White chocolate, Harriston Chocolatier is one of the only places in Malaysia you can get to try the elusive pink chocolate! Made from cocoa beans that are naturally pink!
- Chocolate Bar Series
- Pans/Tins (Couverture Chocolate)
How to buy:
- Explore their main store at The Linc KL or drop by their newly opened Harriston Chocolatier Café in Pavilion.
- Visit their website to browse their full selection and have it delivered straight to you. They provide nationwide delivery with a flat rate of RM35 for East Malaysia and RM10 for states outside of Selangor, Putrajaya and Kuala Lumpur (They get it free!).
4. Beryl’s Chocolate
Here’s a premium chocolate brand that you definitely have come across when doing your groceries. You know, that bar of chocolate you see in the baking aisle.
Yet, many people don’t even know that Beryl’s is a Malaysian chocolate brand and arguably Malaysia’s largest chocolate retailer. Beryl’s now produces chocolates for sale both in and out of the country!
Over the years, this famous chocolate brand in Malaysia has expanded their product servings from just chocolate to cover cookies and other confectionery products as well.
Drop by any one of their dozens of Beryl’s outlets across Malaysia (and even Singapore) to view their extensive range of chocolates from their Camiors to their Granola Bars.
If you’re interested in learning about Beryl’s and the history of chocolate in Malaysia, they even provide tours at their chocolate museum.
- Chocolate Bars (Camior, sugar free, granola, etc)
How to buy:
- Visit any of their Beryl’s outlets sprinkled across Malaysia and Singapore in popular malls and most airports.
- Browse their entire selection on their website and have it delivered at a flat rate of RM14 for West Malaysia and RM50 for East Malaysia.
5. Seniman Kakao
What sets Seniman Kakao apart from most other chocolate makers in Malaysia is their attention to detail! You’ll see it in their cocoa beans, their ingredients, and even in their elegant packaging.
The team behind Seniman Kakao take the bean to bar experience very seriously. Making sure to source only Malaysian single-origin beans. While using as little sugar as possible in the chocolate-making process.
Seniman Kakao is as selective with their chocolate menu as they are with their ingredients, and we think it works out perfectly.
With a small series of 72% Single-Origin Chocolate Bars and a few variants like Cranberry & Almond, their choices are small but absolutely satisfying. Their product range also covers Baking Chocolates and even Single-Origin Drinking Chocolates.
What we love best about Seniman Kakao is that their store doubles as a café as well. Visitors can sit back, lepak, and enjoy a delicious hot chocolate while they’re at it! The coffee here is good too.
- Single-Origin Chocolate Bars
- Chocolate Bars with Inclusions
- Single-Origin Drinking Chocolates
- Baking Chocolates
How to buy:
- Enjoy their freshly handmade chocolates while sipping on a cup of coffee at the Seniman Café.
- Order from their website for a flat rate of RM10 for West Malaysia and RM15 for East Malaysia. Orders over RM60 get free delivery.
6. Benns Ethicoa
Just from its name, you should have some idea of what they’re all about. Benns Ethicoa was founded way back in 1973 on the principles of ethical cocoa (get it?).
They wanted to find a more sustainable and natural way of chocolate making, right from the bean to the bar. And that’s where the magic happened.
By cutting out the middleman, they were able to work directly with farmers from all across Asia, improving their livelihoods, and allowing them to cultivate high-quality cacao beans of various origins.
Contrary to other chocolate brands in Malaysia, Benns Ethicoa’s menu leans towards quality over quantity. Something chocolate purists will appreciate!
Whether it’s their fine selection of chocolate bars, Chocolate Coated Nuts or Drinking Chocolates, everything is of single-origin and free of additives.
Benn’s Ethicoa opened the doors to their factory in Cheras, where you can now visit for a lovely little chocolate tour. You’ll get to learn about their entire chocolate-making process, from the cacao farms right down to the moulding of the chocolates.
And of course, the free tastings along the way are our favourite part of the tour!
- Chocolate Bars
- Chocolate Coated Nuts
- Chocolate Buttons
- Drinking Chocolate
- Cacao Tea
- Cacao Nibs
- Seasonal Bon Bons
How to buy:
- Order through their website for delivery to KL & Klang Valley, at a flat rate of RM25.
- Unfortunately, they don’t have a walk-in store, except for their factory in Cheras.
- Benns Ethicoa chocolates can also be found in (guess where?) Ben’s Independent Grocers. P.S. They aren’t related.
Opening Hours: Tuesdays to Sundays, 10am – 6pm
Contact: +603 9082 0955
Fans of hot chocolate may have heard of Cocova! A fairly new homegrown chocolate brand specialising in chocolate buttons perfect for making cocoa drinks!
Initially founded in 2019 by local chocolate lovers, Euniece and Jinli who would sell their chocolates in bazaars:
They have since opened their very own store in KEDAI KL. Cocova’s chocolates are all-natural and mostly vegan*.
*Except for the cold-steeped chocolate drinks (with dairy)
Today, Cocova proudly serves not only Single-Origin Dark Chocolate Buttons but also Chocolate Spreads, Cacao Nibs and Single-Origin Dark Chocolate Coated Nuts.
All of which are made from single-origin cacao beans from Malaysia and all across Asia.
Too lazy to make your own cocoa drink?
They also offer Cold Steeped Chocolate Drinks of varying strengths made from their chocolate buttons. Their Playful Peca 68% Dark Chocolate Coated Pecans are to die for, with a rich chocolate coating that’s just the right thickness!
Euniece and Jinli still like to frequent local bazaars to sell their delicious dark chocolate products in Malaysia.
So if you’re ever in the neighbourhood of the Publika bazaars or others like it, keep an eye out for them!
- Single-Origin Dark Chocolate Buttons
- Chocolate Spreads
- Cacao Nibs
- Single-Origin Dark Chocolate Coated Nuts
- Cold Steeped Chocolate Drinks
How to buy:
- They have a little store tucked away in KEDAI KL. Pay them a visit to give their chocolates a try before purchasing.
- Cocova is also available in several retailers and cafés like Qra, and Ground Coffee Uptown.
- Their chocolates are also available for order and delivery on their website to all of Malaysia. Unfortunately, their Cold Steeped Chocolate Drinks are not available for delivery.
Opening Hours: Weekdays, 10am – 6pm. Saturdays, 10am – 3pm.
Contact: +6010 283 5183
Based in KL and Johor:
Cocoraw was conceived in 2016 with a simple mission to create affordable artisan chocolates infused with exciting local flavours!
They are often at local pop-up markets and bazaars. But if you can’t wait to try them out, they have a quaint little store in Bangsar Baru.
Cocoraw may not offer much other than nama chocolates, but their flavour selections make up for it!
With nostalgic flavours like Salted Gula Melaka and Teh Tarik, to more experimental flavours like Curry.
They even have alcoholic flavours! Like Gin & Limau Nipis for those who like their chocolates boozier. Besides these, they also have an assortment of Cakes & Pastries. Try their Brownies!
What we find interesting about Cocoraw, is their willingness to work with other local chocolate makers!
For example, their Local series of nama chocolates are made in collaboration with Seniman Kakao, Chocolate Concierge and other Malaysian chocolatiers. You can even get Seniman Kakao Chocolate Bars at their outlets!
- Boxed Chocolate (Basic, Special, Single Origin, Seasonal, Alcohol.)
- Bar Chocolates
- Cakes & Pastries
- Seasonal Gifting
How to buy:
- Order online from their website and pick it up at your nearest Cocodash Kiosk.
- Delivery is available but only within 20km of Bangsar. This is to prevent your chocolates from melting.
- Visit any one of their three Cocodash Kiosks to try their chocolates.
That’s it! Some of the best homegrown chocolate brands in Malaysia!
So, the next time you’re craving something sweet, forget Cadbury or Godiva. Give any one of these eight Malaysian chocolatiers a try!