Limit the number of chemicals you use frequently by switching to the best organic shampoos in Malaysia 2021! Especially SLS! You can read more about this common unnatural ingredient in our guide below!
Yes, organic shampoos can be more expensive in Malaysia. But if you think about it, the cheaper conventional shampoos are not doing your hair (or scalp) any favors in the long term!
Who needs suspiciously long ingredient lists that are hard to understand, anyway? Still, you cannot trust every shampoo that claims to be organic or natural! See why in this post!
What Is Organic Shampoo?
Unlike commercial shampoos, organic shampoos use natural ingredients to clean your hair without stripping away moisture! Or irritating your scalp!
But because the words “organic” and “natural” trigger a positive reaction in customers, many companies like take advantage of that and mislabel their products.
Even if the formula only has one or two natural ingredients! But if you look closely, the actual quantity of “natural” ingredients may be very little!
Organic Shampoos Vs Conventional Shampoos
Most of the time, conventional shampoos contain ingredients that do more damage than good:
Such ingredients (and their effects) include:
- Alcohol – drying
- Sodium Lauryl Sulphate (SLS) and Ammonium Lauryl Sulfate (ALS) – common surfactants (i.e. foaming agents) that clean grease and dirt effectively. But also strip away your hair’s natural oils!
- Artificial fragrance (i.e. parfum) and/or coloring – potential skin irritants
- Preservatives/ Parabens (i.e. ingredients that begin with propyl, ethyl, butyl, isobutyl or methyl)
- Silicones – which make your hair appear smoother but don’t fix the underlying problem
- Cocamide DEA – controversial ingredient used to “thicken” hair
However, it’s hard to ignore this fact:
Your average drugstore shampoo is normally much cheaper than an organic shampoo too!
What Should You Look For In An Organic Shampoo
Depending on what your scalp or hair needs, these are great ingredients to look out for:
- Moisture – shea butter, coconut oil, aloe vera, avocado oil, jojoba oil, almond oil, olive oil
- Dandruff control – tea tree oil, coconut oil, apple cider vinegar, aloe vera, lemongrass oil
- Hair growth – coconut oil, aloe vera, peppermint oil, rosemary oil, Jamaican black castor oil, lavender oil, olive oil, avocado oil, saw palmetto extract (for men)
- Volume – coconut oil, sunflower oil, almond oil
- Sensitive scalp (soothing ingredients) – aloe vera, chamomile, green tea, oatmeal
Many of these ingredients are also used by organic skincare brands in Malaysia!
11 Best Natural Organic Shampoo Malaysia 2021
- Certified Organic Shampoo – Avalon Organics, Melvita, Petal Fresh, and Indochine
- Best For Dandruff/ Oil Control – Petal Fresh Hair Rescue Ultimate Thickening Shampoo For Normal Hair
- Best For Dry And Colored/ Damaged Hair – Dr. Organic Moroccan Argan Oil Shampoo
- Best For Volume – Avalon Organics Biotin B-Complex Therapy Thickening Shampoo
- Best For Normal Scalp And Hair – Sukin Natural Balance Shampoo
1. Avalon Organics Biotin B-Complex Therapy Thickening Shampoo
Vegan and cruelty-free, Avalon Organics from New York is one of the top organic shampoo brands you can find in Malaysia! That is certified by NSF!
The Avalon Organics Biotin B-Complex Therapy Thickening Shampoo also happens to be an organic shampoo for hair loss! Containing both biotin and saw palmetto extract!
While it smells nice, users are not impressed with the lather action (or lack of) that they get from this shampoo.
Nor is the shampoo particularly hydrating for dry hair. So you may want to use a conditioner afterwards.
However, if your scalp is not prone to oiliness and your hair is very fine:
It can add volume to it! According to some users!
- Available Size: 414ml
- Suitable For: For An Energized Scalp & Hair Loss
- Key Ingredients: Biotin, Saw Palmetto Extract, Quinoa Protein, Vitamin E, Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Juice
- Price: ~RM46
2. Melvita Gentle Purifying Shampoo
Certified by Ecocert Greenlife, Melvita Gentle Purifying Shampoo is another recommended organic hair shampoo you can get in Malaysia! The presence of lemon oil gives the shampoo its clarifying ability!
While the rosemary oil improves blood circulation in your scalp! Hopefully triggering hair growth!
The texture is quite runny, so users advise caution when pumping the product out! It smells good and seems to resolve the problem of excess grease!
It is meant for oily scalp and hair after all!
- Available Size: 200ml
- Suitable For: For Oily Hair
- Key Ingredients: Essential Oils Of Lemon And Rosemary, Lavender & Tilia Cordata Flower Water
- Price: ~RM66
3. Dr. Organic Moroccan Argan Oil Shampoo
Dr. Organic Moroccan Argan Oil Shampoo from the UK is a natural shampoo in Malaysia that is formulated for dry hair. It gives your hair much needed shine and moisture without weighing it down!
And it smells nice! Some users find that their hair feels softer but it is light enough to suit natural curls! With no complaints about the shampoo’s ability to clean the scalp!
One user with colored hair mentioned that this shampoo caused minimal color fade. Another user said it helped to calm her itchy scalp!
- Available Size: 265ml
- Suitable For: For Dry Hair
- Key Ingredients: Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Juice, Glycerin, Argan Oil, Orange Peel Extract, Clove Leaf Oil, Geranium Flower Oil, Lemon Peel Oil, Patchouli Leaf Oil, Rosewood Wood Oil, Cinnamon Leaf Oil, Mandarin Peel Oil, Wild Mint Leaf Oil, Spearmint Herb Oil, Vanilla Planifolia Fruit Extract, Argan Kernel Extract, Hibiscus Sabdariffa Flower Extract, Kigelia Africana Fruit Extract, Baobab Fruit Extract
- Price: ~RM70
4. Indochine Natural Tropical Sunrise Natural Shampoo (250ml)
Get the real deal with the Tropical Sunrise Natural Shampoo by Indochine Natural! It has a unique scent which combines wood and citrus notes.
And is made right in Penang! Using imported quality ingredients from all over the world – like the cedarwood oil from Morocco!
If you’re suffering from eczema on your scalp, you can try this shampoo as it did help one user with this condition!
For thick and dry hair types, this cleans without drying your hair further! Or leaving any sticky residue that makes your hair stiff!
Plus, users like the invigorating smell of the shampoo!
- Available Size: 250ml
- Suitable For: All Hair Types (Normal To Oily)
- Key Ingredients: Saponified Coconut Oil, Wild-Harvested Horsetail, Nettle Extracts, Vetiver Root And Pomegranate Kernel Oils And Essential Oils (E.G. Lemon Peel Oil, Rosemary Leaf Oil, Cedarwood Oil, etc)
- Price: RM65
5. Sukin Natural Balance Shampoo
Sukin Natural Balance Shampoo is one of the best anti-dandruff shampoos that is clear and doesn’t have a strong artificial fragrance!
It leaves your hair soft and clean with good oil control too. And there are 2 sizes but even the 500ml will last you a while!
Other than smelling pleasantly distinct, users comment that it controls grease, and lets them go longer between washes!
Especially with the conditioner in the same range, this natural shampoo gives hair a shiny and soft quality! There was also one user that said it helped reduce her hair fall too.
Not bad for a daily shampoo if you don’t have any outlying scalp or hair concerns!
6. Original Sprout Natural Shampoo (Classic Shampoo)
Original Sprout Classic Shampoo has organic plant-based ingredients like rosemary, calendula and cranberry!
The sulfate-free natural shampoo is family-friendly. By that, we mean it is gentle enough for babies and children! As well as dyed hair (it has a pH of 6.0 to 7.0).
It has a light and creamy consistency, is fragrant and doesn’t sting the eyes. So many users get it for their kids to use!
Curly hair types do well with this shampoo too. As it makes hair easier to brush. However, if you have thick long hair, you may go through this shampoo pretty fast!
- Available Size: 946 ml (32oz), 354 ml (12oz) and 118 ml (4oz)
- Suitable For: All Hair Types
- Key Ingredients: Water With Extracts Of Organic Rosemary Leaf, Calendula Flower, Cranberry Fruit, Cucumber, Vegetable Glycerin
- Price: RM210 (946ml), RM90 (354ml) and RM47 (118ml)
7. Naturalite Organic Beauty Hair Fall Control Shampoo
Naturalite Organic Beauty Hair Fall Control Shampoo may not be purely natural or organic:
But it does have a place as one of the best shampoos for hair loss! With visible reduction in hair fall. As fast as 2 weeks!
Users suspect that the formula is not completely natural because it lathers well!
However, users like that it helps reduce hairfall. It feels minty on the scalp, with a subtle scent to it!
- Available Size: 300ml
- Suitable For: Dry & Normal Scalp With Hair Loss
- Key Ingredients: Organic Mallow Extract, Tea Tree Oil, Wheat Proteins And Mineral Salts Complex
- Price: RM62
8. Petal Fresh Hair Rescue Ultimate Thickening Shampoo For Normal Hair
We’ve put this product on several lists for the best shampoo Malaysia:
Because although it’s made in the USA and uses certified organic ingredients, it is still cost-friendly! The subtle smell is a plus in our books too!
You may notice less hair fall and some growth too! Thanks to ingredients like biotin and saw palmetto fruit extract!
Like the Naturalite Organic Beauty Hair Fall Control Shampoo, this natural shampoo carries a refreshing minty scent too.
From our experience, it hardly lathers though. But can still keep dandruff and oil at bay!
Can’t say much about its hydration abilities either. It seems to be neutral in that aspect. Neither drying nor hydrating.
We did see some hair growing too but only months of daily use. If you have an oily scalp that is prone to dandruff, this could work for you!
- Available Size: 355ml
- Suitable For: Normal Hair With Hair Loss
- Key Ingredients: Biotin-B Complex, Caffeine, Peppermint Leaf Extract, Saw Palmetto Fruit Extract, Chamomile Flower Extract, Aloe Vera Leaf Juice, Horsetail Extract, Shea Butter Extract, Kukui Seed Oil, Green Tea Leaf Extract, Olive Fruit Oil, Jojoba Seed Oil, Marigold Flower Extract, Panthenol (Vitamin B5), Menthol (From Mint Oil), Caffeine (From Coffee Beans), Niacin (Vitamin B3), Biotin (Vitamin B7)
- Price: ~RM25
9. Greenology Hair Loss Solution Set
The Greenology Hair Loss Solution Set keeps grease at bay with a refreshing smell of lemon and peppermint! It seems to regenerate new hair too! Try it for at least 2 weeks!
It’s the apple stem cell scalp booster that is the true highlight of the set, with some users seeing baby hairs growing along their hairline!
However, the shampoo is not far behind. With its easy lather and pleasing scent! It leaves the scalp with a tingling sensation. And hair soft!
- Available Size: 480ml (Shampoo), 100ml (Scalp Booster)
- Suitable For: Hair Loss, Dandruff, Oily & Itchy Scalp
- Key Ingredients (Shampoo): Argan Oil, Coconut Oil, Biotin, Nettle, Lemon, Peppermint
- Key Ingredients (Scalp Booster): Apple Stem Cell, Biotin, Algae, Sage, Rosemary
- Price: RM159
10. The Olive Tree Rosemary & Mint Shampoo
It might be that new hair tonic you’re using:
Or it’s The Olive Tree Rosemary & Mint Shampoo that is leading to a decrease in hair fall! Whichever the case, this shampoo also relieves an itchy scalp and controls excess oil production.
Bonus? It does not make your hair look limp! Although, you may want to use it together with a conditioner because it is not very hydrating.
Many users do see less hairfall with this shampoo and one user who underwent chemotherapy even found that it helped with hair growth!
- Available Size: 500ml
- Suitable For: Thinning Hair With Non-oily Scalp, Itchy & Flaky Scalp
- Key Ingredients: Aloe Vera Leaf Juice, Hydrolyzed Wheat Protein, Olive Fruit Oil, Rosemary Leaf Oil, Lemon Peel Oil, Peppermint Oil, Chamomile Oil, Thyme Extract, Olive Leaf Extract, Rosemary Leaf Extract, Lavender Flower Extract, Pro-Vitamin B5, Keratin, Hydrolyzed Keratin, Citric Acid, Macadamia Seed Oil
- Price: RM92.9
11. Natures Anti Hair Loss Shampoo
Last on the list, Natures Anti Hair Loss Shampoo is free from both SLS (Sodium Lauryl Sulfate)& SLES(Sodium Laureth Sulfate).
The formula contains calming ingredients like organic chamomile flower extract and green tea extract. However, green tea is also there to inhibit the DHT production in men that leads to baldness too!
Aside from the minty sensation it gives your scalp, there are reviews claiming that this shampoo really decreased their hair fall!
And despite using it daily, another user did not find the shampoo drying on their hair!
- Available Size: 300ml
- Suitable For: Fine & Limp Hair
- Key Ingredients: Chamomile Flower Extract, Green Tea Extract, Citric Acid
- Price: ~RM88
Caution On Buying Organic Shampoos In Malaysia
There are very few affordable and true organic shampoos available. Since the concept of SLS-free or sulfate-free shampoos is still quite new in Malaysia.
A good start if you cannot get your hands on a trustworthy organic shampoo:
Is to switch to shampoo without SLS, at least!
Certification Of Organic Shampoos
Third-party certification is a reliable way to know if an organic product is genuine.
- ECOCERT – French organization primarily checking organic food products. If a product has this certification, it has been evaluated to be sustainably and naturally produced
- NSF, National Sanitation Foundation – US non-profit organization that mainly checks food products for safety. As well as if a product really contains organic ingredients
Among this list of 11 best organic shampoos in Malaysia, most are great for oily scalps. A handful can help thin hair types by reducing hair loss or by making your hair look fuller!
For dry hair types, you may still want to use a hair oil or conditioner after washing your hair.