Understanding the cause of your hair loss is the key to finding the best shampoo for hair loss in Malaysia 2021!
See the breakdown on hair loss and what the possible causes are! As well as ingredients to single out! Or skip!
Don’t forget to check our list of the best hair fall shampoo in Malaysia further down!
What Causes Hair Loss?
Just in case you’re wondering:
Shedding a hundred strands (Anywhere between 50 to 100 according to healthline) of hair per day is perfectly normal.
However, anything more may lead to balding. And could be due to many reasons!
- Medical treatment (e.g. chemotherapy)
- Hormones (e.g. post-pregnancy, age, etc)
- Emotional or physical trauma
- Excessive or intense hair styling (over use of your hair dryer)
- Certain medical conditions (e.g. gout, diabetes, etc)
- Extreme weight loss
- Over scratching (i.e. itchy scalp, dandruff, etc)
- Smoking (especially if you’re a man)
Hair loss can either be temporary or permanent. For instance, if pre-mature balding that runs in your family (i.e. hereditary) is usually not reversible.
Does Hair Loss Shampoo Work?
Unfortunately, hair loss shampoos are not a sure-fire way to get your hair back! Or to prevent pre-mature balding!
A better way would be to take a step back to assess what may be causing your hair loss in the first place! Because the type of hair loss matters according to Dr. Jerry Shapiro, a hair loss dermatologist. (Source)
So although you may want to believe what you see on various advertisements:
Some companies only want to make fast money by taking advantage of this common affliction. Yet there are companies that do put out genuine products, as you can see from our list below!
Just keep your expectations realistic about hair loss shampoos:
- The number of hair follicles on your head won’t increase
- One bottle is usually not enough to see any changes
- You cannot reverse balding (i.e. patches that no longer have hair)
- Always leave the shampoo in for at least a few minutes before rinsing off
So What Can A Hair Loss Shampoo Do?
- Strengthen your hair and hair follicles so they are not as likely to fall off
- Thicken individual hair strands
- Improve the blood circulation in your scalp (to hopefully, stimulate growth)
- Cleanse your hair follicles of dirt and built-up hair product that may be blocking new growth
- Treat an itchy scalp
Works by improving hair density and curing your scalp of dandruff and pityriasis fungus. Some of the best anti-dandruff shampoos have this as their active ingredient!
Caffeine hinders the suppression of hair-follicle production caused by increased testosterone.
Strengthens your hair and is necessary for healthy hair follicles!
And there seems to be a direct link between women suffering from hair loss and biotin deficiency. (Source)
4. Saw Palmetto
This humble berry plant helps to curb the production of the testosterone by-product, DHT. Which has been linked to hair loss! (Source)
11 Best Shampoo For Hair Loss Malaysia 2021
Recommendations for Shampoo To Combat Hair Loss
- Best for dandruff-related hair loss – Greenology Hair Loss Solution Set
- Best for oil control – Alpecin Caffeine Shampoo C1, Grafen Hinoki Anti Hair Loss Shampoo For Oily Scalp, or The Olive Tree Rosemary & Mint Shampoo
- Best for biotin deficiency/ post pregnancy/ menopause hair loss – Pura D’or Original Gold Label Anti-Hair Thinning Shampoo
- Best for stress-related hair loss – WATERMANS Grow Me Fast Hair Growth Shampoo
- Best for damaged hair – Shea Moisture Jamaican Black Castor Oil Strengthen And Restore Shampoo
- Best for fine hair – MARO 3D Volume Up Shampoo or Kérastase Densifique Bain Densité Shampoo
- Best budget – HELLSE Ginger Hair Shampoo
- Best drugstore – Petal Fresh Hair Rescue Ultimate Thickening Shampoo
1. Alpecin Caffeine Shampoo C1
It’s too bad that it contains SLS, but the Alpecin Caffeine Shampoo C1 gives your hair lift and more body! Contributing to a fuller look!
Users report seeing less hair fall even after a week of use! And even signs of hair growth! For best results, keep the shampoo on your scalp for a couple of minutes before rinsing it off!
The bottom line – it works for reducing hair loss but may cause other problems (e.g. dandruff)! So we think that it suits oily scalps better since it can be quite drying!
- Available Size: 250ml
- Key Ingredients: Caffeine, Hydrolyzed Wheat Protein, Citric Acid
- Price: RM28
2. Pura d’or Original Gold Label Anti-Hair Thinning Shampoo
Natural SLS-free shampoos tend to be more expensive. And the Pura d’or Original Gold Label Anti-Hair Thinning Shampoo is no exception!
But Womenshealthmag lists this as good shampoo for hair loss! Because it reduces hair breakage! With 5000+ raving reviews on Amazon to back that claim!
And from what we can tell, most users see positive results (less hair fall) within a few bottles or months! Try this product if you suspect that your hair loss is due to biotin deficiency!
- Available Size: 473ml
- Key Ingredients: Biotin, Nettle, Pumpkin Seed, Black Cumin Seed Oil, Argan Oil, Cedarwood Bark Oil, Tea Tree Leaf Oil, Rosemary Leaf Oil, Aloe Vera, Saw Palmetto Fruit Extract, He Shou Wu Root Extract, Green Tea Leaf Extract
- Price: RM209.9
3. Petal Fresh Hair Rescue Ultimate Thickening Shampoo
Formulated without the use of parabens, sulfates, phthalates, additional colors, harsh preservatives, GMOs, this natural shampoo is not as clarifying as other shampoos in this list.
And from our experience, you need to use more to clean an oily scalp but hairfall is visibly less after a few months! And with daily use, there’s little sign of dandruff!
Regardless of whether you have a dry or oily scalp, Petal Fresh Hair Rescue Ultimate Thickening Shampoo from USA is still one of the best shampoo for hair loss available from drugstores in Malaysia!
- Available Size: 355ml
- Key Ingredients: Biotin-B Complex, Caffeine, Peppermint Leaf Extract, Rosemary Leaf Oil, Saw Palmetto Fruit Extract, Chamomile Flower Extract, Aloe Vera Leaf Juice, Horsetail Extract, Kukui Seed Oil, Green Tea Leaf Extract, Olive Fruit Oil, Jojoba Seed Oil, Marigold Flower Extract, Vitamin B5, Mint Oil, Vitamin B3
- Price: RM41.9
4. Grafen Hinoki Anti Hair Loss Shampoo For Oily Scalp
Grafen Hinoki Anti Hair Loss Shampoo For Oily Scalp from Korea has a few ingredients (salicylic acid, citric acid and menthol) that may aggravate a sensitive scalp:
However, those same ingredients are effective in keeping oil production under control! A handful of users say they see less hair fall within a week of use!
We cannot recommend it enough if you are a sucker for great smelling products! And if your main issue is an oily scalp!
- Available Size: 500ml
- Suitable For: Hair Thinning Problem With Oily Scalp
- Key Ingredients: Licorice Root Extract, Niacinamide, Morus Alba Bark Extract, Salicylic Acid, Citric Acid, Panthenol, Ginseng Root Extract
- Price: RM63.2
5. WATERMANS Grow Me Fast Hair Growth Shampoo
Made in the UK, WATERMANS Grow Me Fast Hair Growth Shampoo has 4 natural DHT blockers in its formula (niacin, rosemary, hydrolyzed lupin protein and caffeine)!
Both ladies and men share positive results of shampoo after a few months’ of use. Or until you finish a whole bottle.
If you suffer from post-medical treatment (or surgery) hair trauma or stress, this is one of the best shampoo for hair loss and regrowth in Malaysia! Sulphate free too!
- Available Size: 250ml
- Key Ingredients: Biotin, Caffeine, Argan Oil, Rosemary, Lupine Protein, Allantoin, Vitamins B3, B6, B7, E, H
- Price: RM119
6. Kérastase Densifique Bain Densité Shampoo
Kérastase Densifique Bain Densité Shampoo delivers relatively fast visible results (As fast as 2 weeks). With ceramides to smooth down frizz, strengthen and add shine to your hair.
As far as volume goes, it does add volume to thin and fine hair after a few washes. For long term improvements however, very few users see any new growth.
That’s why we only suggest this product as a quick fix to give your hair the appearance of more volume!
- Available Size: 250ml
- Key Ingredients: Hyaluronic Acid, Gluco Peptide, Ceramides, Hydrolyzed Wheat Protein, Citric Acid
- Price: RM99
7. MARO 3D Volume Up Shampoo
MARO 3D Volume Up Shampoo makes a strong claim to boost your hair volume by 1.5 times! This Japanese shampoo is meant for both women and men.
The results are visible after few washes, as thin hair already looks thicker and more bouncy! Hair feels softer afterwards too!
If you’re a fan of styling your hair, you may well appreciate the texture this product will give you!
- Available Size: 460ml
- Key Ingredients: Epilobium Angustifolium Flower/Leaf/Stem Extract, Hydrolysed Soy Protein, Whey, Glutamine Acid, Royal Jelly Extract, Soybesn Shoot Extract, Blackberry Lily Extract, Archangelica Extract, Zizyplus Jujuba Fruit Extract, Artemisia Absinthium Extract
- Price: RM96.5
8. Shea Moisture Jamaican Black Castor Oil Strengthen and Restore Shampoo
Shea Moisture Jamaican Black Castor Oil Strengthen and Restore Shampoo relies on natural ingredients like castor oil to encourage hair growth! And prevent your hair from breaking!
Be careful when dispensing it as this shampoo has an unusually runny texture! A month’s use and users do note softer, shiner, and thicker hair that is more manageable!
The richer formula of this shampoo makes it ideal for dry, damaged or processed hair.
- Available Size: 384ml
- Key Ingredients: Hydrolyzed Rice Protein, Panthenol, Shea Butter, Castor Seed Oil, Peppermint Leaf Extract, Mauritia Flexuosa Fruit Oil, Hydrolyzed Keratin, Tocopherol, Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Juice, Vinegar, Yeast Extract, Niacin, Clover Flower Extract, Caprylhydroxamic Acid, Caprylyl Glycol, Caramel
- Price: RM98
9. HELLSE Ginger Hair Shampoo
Ginger has heaps of benefits for your hair and scalp – better blood flow (i.e. hair growth), natural antiseptic (combats dandruff), hydration, etc. And this ginger shampoo is just under RM10!
Expect to see results in a few months or so. Some reviews claim to see less hair fall. And softer hair that is less brittle! You might even spot baby hair!
With patience, this is a worthwhile shampoo for hair loss if you’re not willing to spend a lot on a bottle of shampoo!
- Available Size: 200ml
- Key Ingredients: Ginger Juice (Fresh Wild Ginger), Coconut Oil, Hydrolyzed Wheat Protein, Deionized Water, Hydrolyzed Keratin
- Price: RM10-40
10. Greenology Hair Loss Solution Set
A Malaysian product, the Greenology Hair Loss Solution Set contains their Argan Oil Scalp Balance Shampoo and their Apple Stem Cell Scalp Booster.
With both the shampoo and the booster, you may see hair growth (baby hair around your hairline) within 2 weeks!
The lemon-scented shampoo is great for greasy and itchy scalps that are prone to dandruff!
- Available Size: 480ml (Shampoo), 100ml (Scalp Booster)
- Key Ingredients (Shampoo): Argan Oil, Coconut Oil, Biotin, Nettle, Lemon, Peppermint
- Key Ingredients (Scalp Booster): Apple Stem Cell, Biotin, Algae, Sage, Rosemary
- Price: RM159
11. The Olive Tree Rosemary & Mint Shampoo
The Olive Tree is a Malaysian company with vegan products made in Australia with quality plant-based ingredients! One of their best-sellers is the Rosemary & Mint Shampoo!
From reviews, you only need a tiny amount for enough lather to keep excess oil under control! The experience with hair fall varies from person to person. Some see a great reduction in hair fall!
If you have an oily scalp and you’re on the hunt for an organic shampoo in Malaysia for long term use, this could be it!
- Available Size: 500ml
- Suitable For: Thinning Hair With Non-oily Scalp, Itchy & Flaky Scalp
- Key Ingredients: Aloe Vera Leaf Juice, Hydrolyzed Wheat Protein, Olive Fruit Oil, Rosemary Leaf Oil, Lemon Peel Oil, Peppermint Oil, Chamomile Oil, Thyme Extract, Olive Leaf Extract, Rosemary Leaf Extract, Lavender Flower Extract, Pro Vitamin B5, Keratin, Hydrolyzed Keratin, Citric Acid, Macadamia Seed Oil
- Price: RM92.9
12. Lavoo Protein Essence Shampoo
Made in Malaysia, Lavoo Protein Essence Shampoo is SLS free.
In fact, the main surfactant used in this shampoo is SLES. An acceptably more gentle replacement of SLS. As well as surfactants derived from coconut oil!
The unique ingredients in the formula?
Bamboo sap, a natural source of silica. For bounce and vitality to your hair, together with lotus root extract. Plus, ingredients like lily extract, argan oil and avocado oil for conditioning!
- Available Size: 400ml
- Suitable For: Thinning Hair With Oily Scalp, Itchy & Flaky Scalp
- Key Ingredients: Avocado Oil, Argan Oil, Nelumbo Nucifera Flower Extract, Bambusa Vulgaris Extract, Argania Spinosa Oil, Castor Oil
- Price: ~RM80
How To Choose The Best Hair Fall Shampoo
1. Determine Your Hair And Scalp Type:
An oily scalp will react negatively to a highly moisturizing shampoo! While a dry scalp and colored hair needs that extra hydration!
- Oily Hair – Look for: pH balancing shampoos
- Normal Hair – Look for: mild and gentle shampoos
- Dry Hair – Look for: moisturizing shampoos
2. Check Ingredients On The Label
Because many conventional shampoos actually irritate your scalp! Removing more than just dirt! They remove your hair’s natural oils and proteins!
Natural alternatives are much better even though they don’t lather as well!
3. Avoid Shampoo With These Ingredients
- Sulfates (sodium lauryl sulfate, myreth sulfate, and ammonium lauryl sulfate)
- Artificial coloring
- Preservatives (parabens)
- Artificial fragrance (Phthalates, Propylene Glycol)
The best shampoo for hair loss in Malaysia tend to be pricey. Especially if you’re looking for SLS-free formulas!
However, we think addressing the cause of your hair loss is more important! Be sure to check out our shampoo recommendations (on top) for different causes of hair loss.