Understanding the cause of your hair loss is the key to finding the best shampoo for hair loss in Malaysia 2022!
See the breakdown on hair loss and what the possible causes are. As well as ingredients to single out or skip!
Don’t forget to check our list and reviews of the best hair fall shampoo in Malaysia further down!
Table Of Contents:
- What Causes Hair Loss?
- Does Hair Loss Shampoo Work?
- Key Ingredients In Hair Loss Shampoos
- How To Choose The Best Hair Fall Shampoo
- 11 Best Shampoo For Hair Loss Malaysia 2022
What Causes Hair Loss?
Just in case you’re wondering:
Shedding a hundred strands (Anywhere between 50 to 100 according to healthline) of hair per day is perfectly normal.
However, anything more may lead to balding. And could be due to many reasons!
- Medical treatment (e.g. chemotherapy)
- Hormones (e.g. post-pregnancy, age, etc)
- Emotional or physical trauma
- Excessive or intense hair styling (over use of your hair dryer)
- Certain medical conditions (e.g. gout, diabetes, etc)
- Extreme weight loss
- Over scratching (i.e. itchy scalp, dandruff, etc)
- Smoking (especially if you’re a man)
Hair loss can either be temporary or permanent. For instance, pre-mature balding that runs in your family (i.e. hereditary) is usually not reversible.
Does Hair Loss Shampoo Work?
Unfortunately, hair loss shampoos are not a sure-fire way to get your hair back or prevent pre-mature balding!
A better way would be to take a step back to assess what may be causing your hair loss in the first place!
Because the type of hair loss matters according to Dr. Jerry Shapiro, a hair loss dermatologist. (Source)
So although you may want to believe what you see on various advertisements:
Some companies only want to make fast money by taking advantage of this common affliction. Yet there are companies that do put out genuine products, as you can see from our list below!
Just keep your expectations realistic about hair loss shampoos:
- The number of hair follicles on your head won’t increase
- One bottle is usually not enough to see any changes
- You cannot reverse balding (i.e. patches that no longer have hair)
- Always leave the shampoo on your scalp for at least a few minutes before rinsing it off
So What Can A Hair Loss Shampoo Do?
- Strengthen your hair and hair follicles so they are not as likely to fall off
- Thicken individual hair strands
- Improve the blood circulation in your scalp (to hopefully, stimulate growth)
- Cleanse your hair follicles of dirt, excess sebum, and built-up hair product that may be blocking new growth
- Treat an itchy scalp
- Offer oil control
Key Ingredients In Hair Loss Shampoos
Ketoconazole works by improving hair density and curing your scalp of dandruff and pityriasis fungus. Some of the best anti-dandruff shampoos have this as their active ingredient!
Caffeine hinders the suppression of hair-follicle production caused by increased testosterone.
Note: You don’t get the same effect by simply drinking coffee!
Biotin strengthens your hair and is necessary for healthy hair follicles!
And there seems to be a direct link between women suffering from hair loss and biotin deficiency. (Source)
4. Saw Palmetto
This humble berry plant helps to curb the production of the testosterone by-product, DHT. Which has been linked to hair loss! (Source)
11 Best Shampoo For Hair Loss Malaysia 2022
Recommendations for Shampoo To Combat Hair Loss
- Best for oil control – Alpecin Caffeine Shampoo C1, Grafen Hinoki Anti Hair Loss Shampoo For Oily Scalp, or The Olive Tree Rosemary & Mint Shampoo
- Best for biotin deficiency/ post pregnancy/ menopause hair loss – Pura D’or Original Gold Label Anti-Hair Thinning Shampoo
- Best for damaged hair – Shea Moisture Jamaican Black Castor Oil Strengthen And Restore Shampoo
- Best for fine hair – MARO 3D Volume Up Shampoo or Kérastase Densifique Bain Densité Shampoo
- Best budget – HELLSE Ginger Hair Shampoo
- Best drugstore anti hair loss shampoo – Petal Fresh Hair Rescue Ultimate Thickening Shampoo
- Best for dry scalps – Some By Mi Cica Peptide Anti Hair Loss Derma Scalp Shampoo
- Best for greasy scalp – KLORANE Quinine Shampoo For Thinning Hair
Note: Sponsored Product
1. SMIB [스미브] Anti Hair Loss Shampoo 500ML
After years of research in Korea, SMIB [스미브] Anti Hair Loss Shampoo presents a breakthrough of using coral calcium as a key main ingredient to maintain a healthy scalp in the form of their SMIB [스미브] Anti Hair Loss Shampoo.
Calcium is necessary* for skin barrier functions and coral calcium is high-quality calcium taken from coral (not live coral).
Extensive research by SMIB [스미브] have shown it to be a better alternative than ordinary calcium supplements that have low water solubility.
Along with their handheld scalp massager with plasma technology, SMIB [스미브] has done rigorous testing to prove that coral calcium and plasma technology are consistently effective at improving scalp health.
Thus preventing hair breakage and eventual hair loss. And encouraging the growth of healthy hair too by maintaining the skin barrier that protects your scalp (and subsequently hair).
Using the shampoo will also help with common issues associated with an unhealthy scalp – like excess sebum, dandruff, constant itching, hair breakage, excessive hair fall, etc.
Moreover, this anti hair loss shampoo is tested to be hypoallergenic and does not have silicones or harmful substances (23** to be exact) like isobutyl paraben, butyl paraben or methonal in the formula.
The smell of the shampoo is pleasant and it feels very refreshing to use this shampoo too.
As an added unexpected bonus to cleaning your scalp and reducing excess sebum and oil, the SMIB [스미브] Anti Hair Loss Shampoo is great at removing hair product build up too.
Overall, many do find the price of the SMIB [스미브] Anti Hair Loss Shampoo to be worth it since it does help with hair loss and is effective on oily and itchy scalps too.
For the optimum results (better scalp and hair healthy overall), get the shampoo in a set (SMIB [스미브] Hair Regrowth Treatment Set) together with the treatment, the Plasma Scalp Massager and essence (SMiB Anti Hair Loss Premium Set).
- Available Size: 500ml
- Key Ingredients: Coral Calcium, Zinc Pyrithione, Panthenol, Salicylic Acid and 11 marine complex extracts
- Price: – Check Price
- Effective at reducing hair loss
- Great as a clarifying shampoo too
- Smells nice
- Mint after feel that relieves itching
- Sample sizes available
- Provides oil control
- Without alcohol or silicones
- Tested to be hypoallergenic
- Tested to be free of 23 harmful substances**
**Lead, Nickel, Arsenic, Mercury, Antimony, Cadmium, Dioxane, Formaldehyde, Isopropylparaben Butyl Paraben, Propyl Paraben, Methyl Paraben, Isobutyl Paraben, Fungus, Coliform, Echile Paraben, P-Hydroxybenzoic, Acid, Triclosan, Methanol, CMIT, MIT, Bacteria
2. Alpecin Caffeine Shampoo C1
It’s too bad that it contains SLS, but the Alpecin Caffeine Shampoo C1 gives your hair lift and more body, contributing to the look of a fuller head of hair.
Of more interesting note, some users see less hair fall even after a week of use this anti hair loss shampoo. And even signs of hair growth!
For best results however, keep the shampoo on your scalp for a couple of minutes before rinsing it off!
The bottom line – The Alpecin Caffeine Shampoo C1 works for reducing hair loss but may cause other problems (e.g. dandruff). Hence, we think that the Alpecin Caffeine Shampoo C1 suits oily scalps better since it can be quite drying!
- Available Size: 250ml
- Key Ingredients: Caffeine, Hydrolyzed Wheat Protein, Citric Acid
- Price: RM28
- Smells good (masculine scent)
- Reduces hair fall
- Cooling sensation
- Cleans well (lots of lather)
- For some, it can take as long as 8 months to start seeing hair growth
- Not for sensitive skin
3. Pura d’or Original Gold Label Anti-Hair Thinning Shampoo
Best for biotin deficiency/ post pregnancy/ menopause hair loss
Natural SLS-free shampoos tend to be more expensive. And the Pura d’or Original Gold Label Anti-Hair Thinning Shampoo is no exception!
But Womenshealthmag lists this as good shampoo for hair loss because it reduces hair breakage! And there are 5000+ raving reviews on Amazon to back that claim!
Moreover, from what we can gather about the Pura d’or Original Gold Label Anti-Hair Thinning Shampoo:
Most users see positive results (less hair fall) within a few bottles or months! You can try this anti hair loss shampoo if you suspect that your hair loss is due to biotin deficiency!
Note: It can take as long as 3 months before you see results.
- Available Size: 473ml
- Key Ingredients: Biotin, Nettle, Pumpkin Seed, Black Cumin Seed Oil, Argan Oil, Cedarwood Bark Oil, Tea Tree Leaf Oil, Rosemary Leaf Oil, Aloe Vera, Saw Palmetto Fruit Extract, He Shou Wu Root Extract, Green Tea Leaf Extract
- Price: RM209.9
- Hypo-allergenic, vegan, gluten free and cruelty free
- No parabens
- Reduces hair fall by strengthening your hair
- Does not weigh hair down
- Herbal-like smell not unlike ginseng
- Some users report regrowth
4. Petal Fresh Hair Rescue Ultimate Thickening Shampoo
Best drugstore anti hair loss shampoo
Formulated without the use of parabens, sulfates, phthalates, additional colors, harsh preservatives, GMOs:
This natural shampoo is not as clarifying as other shampoos in this list which makes it suitable for drier scalps or sensitive skin.
And from our experience, you need to use more to clean an oily scalp but hairfall is visibly less after a few months! And with daily use, there’s little sign of dandruff.
Regardless of whether you have a dry or oily scalp:
Petal Fresh Hair Rescue Ultimate Thickening Shampoo from USA is still one of the best shampoo for hair loss available from drugstores in Malaysia! It’s not that expensive either.
Note: There is a conditioner in the same range.
- Available Size: 355ml
- Key Ingredients: Biotin-B Complex, Caffeine, Peppermint Leaf Extract, Rosemary Leaf Oil, Saw Palmetto Fruit Extract, Chamomile Flower Extract, Aloe Vera Leaf Juice, Horsetail Extract, Kukui Seed Oil, Green Tea Leaf Extract, Olive Fruit Oil, Jojoba Seed Oil, Marigold Flower Extract, Vitamin B5, Mint Oil, Vitamin B3
- Price: ~RM32.9
- With certified organic Ingredients
- Vegan, gluten-free, color safe
- Less dandruff and hair fall
- Smells and feels minty fresh
- Does encourage hair growth to an extent
- Not drying
5. Grafen Hinoki Anti Hair Loss Shampoo For Oily Scalp
Grafen Hinoki Anti Hair Loss Shampoo For Oily Scalp from Korea has a few ingredients (salicylic acid, citric acid and menthol) that may aggravate a sensitive scalp:
However, those same ingredients are effective in keeping oil production under control. And a handful of users say they see less hair fall within a week of use!
Plus, we cannot recommend the Grafen Hinoki Anti Hair Loss Shampoo For Oily Scalp enough if you are a sucker for great smelling products and if your main issue is an oily scalp!
- Available Size: 500ml
- Suitable For: Hair Thinning Problem With Oily Scalp
- Key Ingredients: Licorice Root Extract, Niacinamide, Morus Alba Bark Extract, Salicylic Acid, Citric Acid, Panthenol, Ginseng Root Extract
- Price: RM63.2
- Paraben-free, alcohol-free, silicone-free
- One of the main ingredients is cypress water from a specific tree species in Jeju – which is naturally anti-bacterial!
- Smells really nice (floral but not feminine) without being overpowering
- Reduces hair fall
- Lathers and cleans well
- Scalp-compatible with pH 5.5
- Convenient pump dispenser
- Contains SLS and can be drying
- Does not smell like Hinoki
6. Some By Mi Cica Peptide Anti Hair Loss Derma Scalp Shampoo
Best for dry scalps
While we’re not happy that fragrance is present in the ingredient list of the Some By Mi Cica Peptide Anti Hair Loss Derma Scalp Shampoo:
It does not smell bad at all. And you’ll get a pleasant minty feel on your scalp when you use it.
The formula does contain biotin and many natural mint-related plant extracts as well as peptides to encourage hair growth.
There are also calming ingredients like green tea and centella extracts.
Better still, it is effective for reducing hair fall on many users. Some even see signs of hair growth too.
Plus, it’s not drying on the scalp or hair so you should really look into the Some By Mi Cica Peptide Anti Hair Loss Derma Scalp Shampoo if you face regular hair loss and have a dry scalp.
It doesn’t hurt that the price is so affordable too!
- Available Size: 285ml
- Suitable For: Reducing Hair Fall
- Key Ingredients: Menthol, Salicylic acid, Panthenol, Biotin, Butylene Glycol, Peppermint Leaf Extract, Spearmint Extract, Various Peptides,
- Price: ~RM35
- Reduces hair fall
- Smell is not unpleasant
- Doesn’t dry out scalp or hair
- Refreshing menthol feel
- Formula has salicylic acid and fragrance (may irritate sensitive skin)
7. Kérastase Densifique Bain Densité Shampoo
Kérastase Densifique Bain Densité Shampoo delivers relatively fast visible results for an anti loss shampoo (As fast as 2 weeks).
The formula contains ceramides to smooth down frizz, strengthen and add shine to your hair.
As far as volume goes, it does add volume to thin and fine hair after a few washes. For long term improvements however, very few users see any new growth.
That’s why we only suggest the Kérastase Densifique Bain Densité Shampoo as more of a quick fix to give your hair the appearance of more volume in a short time frame!
Note: Ceramides are effective on chemically-treated hair (e.g. colored, bleached, permed, etc).
- Available Size: 250ml
- Key Ingredients: Hyaluronic Acid, Gluco Peptide, Ceramides, Hydrolyzed Wheat Protein, Citric Acid
- Price: RM99
- Relatively affordable compared to other options on this list
- Easy on colored hair
- You do not need to use a lot each time either
- Fragrance is pleasant and lingers on hair
- Contains fragrance
- Sodium laureth sulfate is one of the main ingredients (not good for your hair in the long run)
8. MARO 3D Volume Up Shampoo
Best for fine hair
MARO 3D Volume Up Shampoo makes a strong claim to boost your hair volume by 1.5 times! This Japanese shampoo is meant for both women and men.
The results are visible after few washes, and thin hair already looks thicker and more bouncy! Hair feels softer afterwards too!
Additionally, if you’re a fan of styling your hair, you may well appreciate the texture the MARO 3D Volume Up Shampoo will give you too.
- Available Size: 460ml
- Key Ingredients: Epilobium Angustifolium Flower/Leaf/Stem Extract, Hydrolysed Soy Protein, Whey, Glutamine Acid, Royal Jelly Extract, Soybesn Shoot Extract, Blackberry Lily Extract, Archangelica Extract, Zizyplus Jujuba Fruit Extract, Artemisia Absinthium Extract
- Price: RM96.5
- Good scent that is unisex
- Almost immediate results
- Foams well
- There’s also hydrolyzed soy protein, whey and glutamic acid to strengthen your hair!
- Minty feel
- Reduces appearance of dandruff and hair fall
- Not SLS-free or alcohol-free (can be drying and too harsh for colored hair)
- Has fragrance (may irritate sensitive skin)
9. Shea Moisture Jamaican Black Castor Oil Strengthen and Restore Shampoo
Best for damaged hair
Shea Moisture Jamaican Black Castor Oil Strengthen and Restore Shampoo relies on natural ingredients like castor oil to encourage hair growth and prevent your hair from breaking!
Be careful when dispensing it as this shampoo has an unusually runny texture.
Typically after a month’s use, you may notice softer, shiner, and thicker hair that is more manageable!
The richer formula of the Shea Moisture Jamaican Black Castor Oil Strengthen and Restore Shampoo makes it ideal for dry, damaged or processed hair. Or naturally frizzy hair types.
And unlike the MARO 3D Volume Up Shampoo, you don’t have to worry about the Shea Moisture Jamaican Black Castor Oil Strengthen and Restore Shampoo lifting your hair dye!
- Available Size: 384ml
- Key Ingredients: Hydrolyzed Rice Protein, Panthenol, Shea Butter, Castor Seed Oil, Peppermint Leaf Extract, Mauritia Flexuosa Fruit Oil, Clover Flower Extract, Hydrolyzed Keratin, Tocopherol, Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Juice, Vinegar, Yeast Extract, Niacin, Caprylhydroxamic Acid, Caprylyl Glycol, Caramel
- Price: ~RM65
- Certified organic Ingredient (the shea butter)
- No sulfates, parabens, mineral oil, propylene glycol, phthalates, petrolatum, etc
- You will not need a lot to wash your hair
- Lathers well despite being SLS free (it uses sodium lauroyl lactylate)
- Does not affect hair dye color
- Sweet smell like vanilla/ caramel
- Very hydrating but clarifies at the same time
- No visible effects of hair growth for most users
- Has fragrance (from a blend of essential oils which may irritate sensitive skin)
10. HELLSE Ginger Hair Shampoo
Ginger has heaps of benefits for your hair and scalp – better blood flow (i.e. hair growth), natural antiseptic (combats dandruff), hydration, etc.
And best of all, the HELLSE Ginger Hair Shampoo is just under RM10!
Expect to see results in a few months or so. Some reviews claim to see less hair fall. And softer hair that is less brittle! If you’re lucky, you might even spot baby hair growing.
With patience, this is a worthwhile shampoo for hair loss if you’re not willing to spend a lot on a bottle of anti hair loss shampoo!
- Available Size: 200ml
- Key Ingredients: Ginger Juice (Fresh Wild Ginger), Coconut Oil, Hydrolyzed Wheat Protein, Deionized Water, Hydrolyzed Keratin
- Price: ~RM13.9
- Very affordable
- Free from parabens, silicones, and sulfates
- Softens hair
- Less hair fall and dandruff
- Some people don’t like the smell
- Takes a long time to see any effect (minimum 1 month)
11. KLORANE Shampoo With Quinine And Organic Edelweiss For Thinning Hair
Best for greasy scalp
If a greasy scalp is your main woe, the KLORANE Quinine Shampoo will fix that. This anti hair loss shampoo smells good and floral-y too. Although, some users feel that the smell is just tolerable.
There is less hair fall with this shampoo but it can take a long period of regular use to be sure (e.g., 3 or 4 bottles worth). Some users do see the start of hair growth too.
And in spite of the formula containing SLS, it doesn’t foam much and isn’t as drying as you would expect.
Though we still would suggest the KLORANE Quinine Shampoo for grease-prone heads rather than dry scalps.
You might not need to wash your hair as often since it has excellent oil control. As a bonus, your scalp will feel less itchy too.
- Available Size: 400ml
- Suitable For: Greasy and itchy scalps
- Key Ingredients: Biotin, Cinchona Calisaya Bark Extract, Panthenol
- Price: ~RM47
- Reasonable price point and economical size
- Eliminates itch
- Great at controlling excess grease
- Decent clarifying effect
- Does not weigh hair down
- Reduces hair fall
- Smells nice
- Not sulfate free despite the label – it has SLS which can be drying on hair
- Not much lather
- Watery consistency
- Some find the smell too strong (like perfume)
- Stinging if it gets into your eyes
- With alcohol, synthetic coloring and fragrance
12. The Olive Tree Rosemary & Mint Shampoo
The Olive Tree is a Malaysian company with vegan products made in Australia with quality plant-based ingredients! One of their best-sellers is the Rosemary & Mint Shampoo!
Despite the high starting price, you only need a tiny amount to produce enough lather to keep excess oil under control!
That said, it is a little drying unless you have a naturally oily scalp to start with.
And like other anti hair fall or anti hair loss shampoos, the experience with hair fall reduction varies from person to person. Some see a great reduction in hair fall after using this shampoo.
If you have an oily scalp and you’re on the hunt for an organic shampoo in Malaysia for long term use, The Olive Tree Rosemary & Mint Shampoo could be it!
Note: Pregnant women should use this product with caution as it contains rosemary and peppermint essential oil. Both of which may cause to uterine contractions.
- Available Size: 500ml
- Suitable For: Thinning Hair With Non-oily Scalp, Itchy & Flaky Scalp
- Key Ingredients: Aloe Vera Leaf Juice, Hydrolyzed Wheat Protein, Olive Fruit Oil, Rosemary Leaf Oil, Lemon Peel Oil, Peppermint Oil, Chamomile Oil, Thyme Extract, Olive Leaf Extract, Rosemary Leaf Extract, Lavender Flower Extract, Pro Vitamin B5, Keratin, Hydrolyzed Keratin, Citric Acid, Macadamia Seed Oil
- Price: ~RM92.9
- No palm oil, parabens, SLS & SLES, silicones, synthetic fragrances or coloring, harsh petrochemicals
- Controls oil so hair appears less limp
- Less hair fall
- Smells good (subtly minty)
- Cooling sensation
- Drying for non-oily scalp types
13. Lavoo Protein Essence Shampoo
Made in Malaysia, Lavoo Protein Essence Shampoo is SLS free.
In fact, the main surfactant used in this shampoo is SLES. An acceptably more gentle replacement of SLS. As well as surfactants derived from coconut oil!
The unique ingredients in the formula?
Bamboo sap, a natural source of silica. For bounce and vitality to your hair, together with lotus root extract. Plus, ingredients like lily extract, argan oil and avocado oil for conditioning!
Note: This product has been notified to www.npra.gov.my, though not officially certified.
- Available Size: 400ml
- Suitable For: Thinning Hair With Oily Scalp, Itchy & Flaky Scalp
- Key Ingredients: Avocado Oil, Argan Oil, Nelumbo Nucifera Flower Extract, Bambusa Vulgaris Extract, Argania Spinosa Oil, Castor Oil
- Price: ~RM80
- Good oil control
- Less hair fall (i.e. hair is less brittle)
- Scalp is less itchy (may see reduction in dandruff too)
- Contains fragrance
How To Choose The Best Hair Fall Shampoo
1. Determine Your Hair And Scalp Type:
An oily scalp will react negatively to a highly moisturizing shampoo while a dry scalp and colored hair needs that extra hydration!
- Oily Hair – Look for: pH balancing shampoos
- Normal Hair – Look for: mild and gentle shampoos
- Dry Hair – Look for: moisturizing shampoos
2. Check Ingredients On The Label
This is important because many conventional shampoos actually irritate your scalp!
Harsh surfactants remove more than just dirt! And this includes your hair’s natural oils and proteins!
Natural alternatives are much gentler on the scalp even though they don’t lather up as well.
3. Avoid Shampoos With These Ingredients
In general, you should try to avoid shampoo with the following main ingredients:
- Sulfates (sodium lauryl sulfate, myreth sulfate, and ammonium lauryl sulfate)
- Artificial coloring
- Preservatives (parabens)
- Artificial fragrance (Phthalates, Propylene Glycol)
The best shampoo for hair loss in Malaysia tend to be pricey. Especially so if you’re looking for SLS-free formulas!
However, we think addressing the cause of your hair loss is more important so be sure to check out our shampoo recommendations (on top) for different causes of hair loss.
- 17 Best Facial Cleansers In Malaysia 2022
- 15 Best Cleansing Oils In Malaysia 2022
- 13 Best Collagen In Malaysia 2022
- 11 Best Whey Protein Powder In Malaysia 2022
- 13 Best Breast Pumps In Malaysia 2022